2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Thanks for the link.
Stella is so insightful👌🏻

Sorry to stir this pot again but this article has kinda confirmed what I’ve been thinking for all of the second half of the season. Did Key hold Mclaren back for a couple of seasons? Would have another TD or Stella’s current leadership model have created an even better car in ‘21? Where McLaren and Norris in particular could have potentially won more Grand Prix? And finished P3 in the WCC?
Could 2022 have been better?
Stella has basically confirmed that the people who turned the 23 season around where at the team already
Just a fan's point of view

ScottR267
ScottR267

CjC wrote:
27 Dec 2023, 23:40
Thanks for the link.

Sorry to stir this pot again but this article has kinda confirmed what I’ve been thinking for all of the second half of the season. Did Key hold Mclaren back for a couple of seasons? Would have another TD or Stella’s current leadership model have created an even better car in ‘21? Where McLaren and Norris in particular could have potentially won more Grand Prix? And finished P3 in the WCC?
Stella has basically confirmed that the people who turned the 23 season around where at the team already
Agree on Stella being insightful….is a breathe of fresh air isn’t he with his way of working.

Regarding Key, I think it’s been admitted that they were too conservative with their original ideas, for which he was the TD so the Buck does stop with him. Maybe he constrained the departments therefore limited them and now the chains are off and there is a change in dynamics the team has yielded better result's.

Guess we will never know the full answer……

mwillems

ScottR267 wrote:
27 Dec 2023, 21:01
mwillems wrote:
27 Dec 2023, 20:41
AR3-GP wrote:
22 Dec 2023, 21:02
Is Norris a common British surname?
It is more common as a forname, but still not very common. When used in television or film it is used for characters that are particularly stiff, uncool or older, or many of those, more associated with Yorkshiremen if I'm not mistaken.
Is someone a Coronation Street fan 😜
No but I do know who you mean :D
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Tomsky
Tomsky

mwillems

CjC wrote:
27 Dec 2023, 23:40
Thanks for the link.

Although you can't be sure who this refers to or if it is an example not strictly representing where those problem people were, the example given by Stella is of someone leading the Aero team.

"You can be illuminated in terms of technical knowledge but if you don’t get the 100 people in the aero department to follow you, understand your vision, to believe in it, it’s always a bit of a threat when you introduce a new aero concept."

Given that he suggested in the past that PP was not really leading the Aero for Mclaren, this is an interesting statement in the context of your question and seems to suggest that the Aero team did not buy into a leader. Since PP is still there and doing great, you'd assume it is not him..

-Bandit

mwillems

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... c8j7B.html

Lando fourth and Oscar eighth in the F1 Drivers driver of the year rankings.

-Bandit

trinidefender
trinidefender

mwillems wrote:
28 Dec 2023, 15:24
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... c8j7B.html

Lando fourth and Oscar eighth in the F1 Drivers driver of the year rankings.
I personally don't place too much stock on these driver ratings as almost every one I've seen is based on subjective information and in the odd case that data is used it's usually limited and not nearly enough to give a reliable result.

mwillems

Yeah its just a poll of the drivers. But they have a unique perspective being on track with each other so I find it interesting to see how they perceive each other.

There is usually a team principles poll also which is definitely a weightier insight.

Edit: Actually the drivers and the principles will analyse the other drivers data/telemetry in detail, so I disagree with myself and Trini, I think it probably is based on a lot of data plus a unique on track insight and so this view has plenty of weight for me.
Last edited by mwillems on 29 Dec 2023, 14:43, edited 5 times in total.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
29 Dec 2023, 10:49
Yeah its just a poll of the drivers. But they have a unique perspective being on track with each other so I find it interesting to see how they perceive each other.

There is usually a team principles poll also which is deginately a weightier insight.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... oiL3e.html
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

CjC wrote:
29 Dec 2023, 13:25
mwillems wrote:

There is usually a team principles poll also which is deginately a weightier insight.
Very similar to the drivers with the main difference being Hamilton dropping and splitting the Ferrari in the top 6.

To be fair I'd imagine the drivers see a lot of data on other cars, particularly when someone might be more efficient through certain corners. And I'm sure the drivers and team are talking about other drivers and looking at the same data - with drivers and principles having their own perspectives.

-Bandit

organic

mwillems wrote:
29 Dec 2023, 13:55
CjC wrote:
29 Dec 2023, 13:25
mwillems wrote:

Very similar to the drivers with the main difference being Hamilton dropping and splitting the Ferrari in the top 6.

To be fair I'd imagine the drivers see a lot of data on other cars, particularly when someone might be more efficient through certain corners. And I'm sure the drivers and team are talking about other drivers and looking at the same data - with drivers and principles having their own perspectives.
Imo team principals will have better/more data.

Additionally Hamilton abstaining from the driver vote affects things. You can't vote for yourself, so he took votes away from other drivers but not himself by not participating. Given how close Lec/Nor/Alo/himself would've been this 5% could be enough to swing things like we saw with driver vote

mwillems

I'm sure they will use the same data for different purposes and to different depths. But I would be surprised if each driver wasn't looking at all of Verstappen's telemetry as they look at their team mates, and others. But even with that aside, I'm sure the drivers are qualified to give a very good account of the driving abilities of others over a season.

-Bandit

trinidefender
trinidefender

organic wrote:
29 Dec 2023, 17:34
mwillems wrote:
29 Dec 2023, 13:55

Imo team principals will have better/more data.

Additionally Hamilton abstaining from the driver vote affects things. You can't vote for yourself, so he took votes away from other drivers but not himself by not participating. Given how close Lec/Nor/Alo/himself would've been this 5% could be enough to swing things like we saw with driver vote
The rules permit drivers to vote for themselves
You can vote for yourself

organic

I stand corrected!

Tomsky
Tomsky