2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MrGapes

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

PhillipM wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 14:10
I'm excited, Oscar seems to get on better with the Mclaren in the sims, even if he's not quite on Lando's consistancy just yet - lets face it all Mclaren needed last year really was someone matching Lando to run away with best of the rest.
I'm curious... did Daniel struggle in the sim aswell? or was it just in the actual thing?

BrunoH
BrunoH

MrGapes wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 14:37
BrunoH wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 14:14
the lack of ambition is already seen here. they should be hoping to be fighting for the wins at least! not aim for top 4... the engine is good, they just need to make a better car!
its called realism
its really lack of ambition... If the team in my company were im the CEO are not working to be n1, then they should be working at Mcdonalds

MrGapes

BrunoH wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 15:05
MrGapes wrote:
BrunoH wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 14:14
the lack of ambition is already seen here. they should be hoping to be fighting for the wins at least! not aim for top 4... the engine is good, they just need to make a better car!
its called realism
its really lack of ambition... If the team in my company were im the CEO are not working to be n1, then they should be working at Mcdonalds
Ambition is spending 100s of millions on infrastructure upgrades ... as they have done despite covid..which they have been talking about for the last 5 years?

Emag
Emag

Honestly, I totally understand the cloudy environment in the team threads. And no, it's not a lack of ambition. People can be ambitious over a lot of things. If you ask each F1 team what their ambition is in the sport, they will say that it is to win. But how likely is it to achieve that ambition changes drastically from team to team.

The sad truth is that we don't really have any reason to believe this year is going to be special for McLaren. Recent performances and events dictate that 4th is going to be the only realistic target, and until proven otherwise, it will remain like that for the foreseeable future.

If anything, I would say for this season, there's more cause for concern rather than optimism given Seidl's departure and Stella's very conservative statements about their prospects made a couple of weeks ago.

PhillipM
PhillipM

MrGapes wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 14:40
I'm curious... did Daniel struggle in the sim aswell? or was it just in the actual thing?
I don't know later on, but pre-season when he moved there he was struggling in the sim - mclaren had a switch of brake materials in progress as soon as winter testing started to see if it would help him out later on. Someone else here might have more idea later. I only really see the parts side and the factory floor ramblings.

ringo

Emag wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 15:16
Honestly, I totally understand the cloudy environment in the team threads. And no, it's not a lack of ambition. People can be ambitious over a lot of things. If you ask each F1 team what their ambition is in the sport, they will say that it is to win. But how likely is it to achieve that ambition changes drastically from team to team.

The sad truth is that we don't really have any reason to believe this year is going to be special for McLaren. Recent performances and events dictate that 4th is going to be the only realistic target, and until proven otherwise, it will remain like that for the foreseeable future.

If anything, I would say for this season, there's more cause for concern rather than optimism given Seidl's departure and Stella's very conservative statements about their prospects made a couple of weeks ago.
The melancholy feeling may be all mental. A team like Aston Martin, seemed a worst car than Mclaren most of last year, and they seem very positive about this year, and about the resources that have been pumping in steadily.
If it is that Mclaren is truly stagnant, they may well be overtaken by Aston Martin.
What I am hopeful for is they have a whole new platform for 2023 car. Last year's car had many bandaids, from the brakes, floor etc. If they do not win a race until 2026 Lando may well leave, even though Honda may power Mclaren for the new formula.
For Sure!!

diffuser

PhillipM wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 15:40
MrGapes wrote:
I don't know later on, but pre-season when he moved there he was struggling in the sim - mclaren had a switch of brake materials in progress as soon as winter testing started to see if it would help him out later on. Someone else here might have more idea later. I only really see the parts side and the factory floor ramblings.
I would expect that Daniel's move to RBR was probably largely to do with him getting into the RBR SIM. He wants to test his metal against Max in a SIM with a car that has a strong front end. If he can Match Max, it will go along way to refurbing his confidence to drive again in F1.

Ben1980
Ben1980

ringo wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 15:41
Emag wrote:

The melancholy feeling may be all mental. A team like Aston Martin, seemed a worst car than Mclaren most of last year, and they seem very positive about this year, and about the resources that have been pumping in steadily.
If it is that Mclaren is truly stagnant, they may well be overtaken by Aston Martin.
What I am hopeful for is they have a whole new platform for 2023 car. Last year's car had many bandaids, from the brakes, floor etc. If they do not win a race until 2026 Lando may well leave, even though Honda may power Mclaren for the new formula.

Didn't they make the big change to the car 3/4 of the season, taking it to a position that they can move forward on it?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

ringo wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 15:41
Emag wrote:

Aston Martin can afford to over promise and under deliver, not a luxury that McLaren has.

MrGapes

PhillipM wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 15:40
MrGapes wrote:
Ahhh ok thank you

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

MrGapes wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 15:11
BrunoH wrote:
MrGapes wrote:

its called realism
Ambition is spending 100s of millions on infrastructure upgrades ... as they have done despite covid..which they have been talking about for the last 5 years?
Yet somehow it seems like Aston martin started later, and has more impressive facilities already.

MrGapes

AR3-GP wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 02:59
MrGapes wrote:
BrunoH wrote:

Yet somehow it seems like Aston martin started later, and has more impressive facilities already.
As far as I know they are still working from their older silverstone base, their key windtunnel isn’t ready till 2025… the advantage they have is they can use the merc windtunnel so I don’t know what new facilities you’re talking about… if you consider how the timelines shifted with covid it actually isn’t that far apart

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

AR3-GP wrote:
MrGapes wrote:
BrunoH wrote:

AM facilities aren’t ready, their main building is expected to be finished this year while the Wind Tunnel in 2024 to work on their 2025 car, so no, they don’t have more impressive facilities already… It’s also easier to build something from scratch than working with infrastructure already in place depending on the amount of rework an structure needs, when you already have infrastructure in place it limits your ability to get equipment / machinery, etc. and you have to work considering other infrastructure already in place that you can’t damage, therefore more time consuming.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

SmallSoldier wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 06:14
AR3-GP wrote:
MrGapes wrote:

AM facilities aren’t ready, their main building is expected to be finished this year while the Wind Tunnel in 2024 to work on their 2025 car, so no, they don’t have more impressive facilities already… It’s also easier to build something from scratch than working with infrastructure already in place depending on the amount of rework an structure needs, when you already have infrastructure in place it limits your ability to get equipment / machinery, etc. and you have to work considering other infrastructure already in place that you can’t damage, therefore more time consuming.
Mclaren don’t even own MTC…

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

DP World joins McLarenF1
Last edited by Ground Effect on 08 Feb 2023, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.