Pre season testing live?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
erudite450
erudite450

Re: Pre season testing live?

Not a fan of having only 3 days of testing.

mclaren111

erudite450 wrote:
19 Feb 2023, 15:45
Agree... It's actually Ridiculous...

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

erudite450 wrote:
Agreed. And drivers only get 1.5 days each.

I cannot think of any other sport where training before the season is so limited.

f1jcw
f1jcw

They need to bring this one forward so that if they needed to squeeze another test in they could have done.
Even the drivers are complaining, thinking they need atleast 2 cars next week.

But of a farce yet again.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

AR3-GP wrote:
19 Feb 2023, 16:42
erudite450 wrote:
Agreed. And drivers only get 1.5 days each.

I cannot think of any other sport where training before the season is so limited.
In my opinion they must have all agreed to just three days of testing.

organic

I am the same. More testing please.

Don't get the narrative around giving the teams less testing time making for better F1

erudite450
erudite450

organic wrote:
19 Feb 2023, 20:03

Don't get the narrative around giving the teams less testing time making for better F1
Seriously! Terrible narrative.

the EDGE
the EDGE

I can’t see any point to watching testing anymore

I used to get excited and book the week off work to watch, but soon realised you see little, learn nothing, and have to put up with mind numbingly boring commentary

Much easier to just catch-up on-line in the evening

Perhaps they should consider awarding a point for fastest lap each day, at least you’d get some action

f1jcw
f1jcw

the EDGE wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 08:59
I can’t see any point to watching testing anymore

I used to get excited and book the week off work to watch, but soon realised you see little, learn nothing, and have to put up with mind numbingly boring commentary

Much easier to just catch-up on-line in the evening

Perhaps they should consider awarding a point for fastest lap each day, at least you’d get some action
Pretty similar in booking days off with spare holiday days needing taking up.

I thought about it this week, but with us working from home post covid, might aswell just have it running whilst working

SiLo

Pretty sure the goal was to have more stuff go wrong in season that isn't fixed in testing, adding to the "spice".

I don't know what was wrong with six days testing over two tests personally. Seemed a nice balance at least, not mega expensive, cars get driven a decent amount and teams have time to work on things so they don't break during the season.
Felipe Baby!

f1jcw
f1jcw

SiLo wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 14:28
Pretty sure the goal was to have more stuff go wrong in season that isn't fixed in testing, adding to the "spice".

I don't know what was wrong with six days testing over two tests personally. Seemed a nice balance at least, not mega expensive, cars get driven a decent amount and teams have time to work on things so they don't break during the season.
I presume with only 3 days there will be less sitting in the garage and more track action.
If they wanted to go this route though they should have allowed the teams to go back to using 2 cars.

Plus, what even is the point of this "test" anything that comes to light can't be fixed in time for the first race, all this is going to do is highlight issue and do setup for the 1st race.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

flexcon
flexcon

I used to love visiting Barcelona for the Pre Season testing. I'm actually annoyed it seems it's gone!

It was a cheap flight from Ireland with Ryanair, cheap hotels, cheap Car hire and 15euro a day into the track to just chill, snooze on the grass and listen to the cars all day long.

Only thing that wasn't cheap was the food in track, but bring your own.

In 2017 I stayed for the full week, for less that 285euro for the flights, hotel, car hire and track entrance.

Giblet
Giblet

organic wrote:
19 Feb 2023, 20:03

It’s not a “narrative” it’s to save money.

I think testing is important and we should have more than three days, but there is no “narrative”.

Unless Morgan Freeman is talking over f1 testing and I can’t hear him.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

SiLo wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 14:28

The teams wouldn't have agreed to this if they really thought it'd create any issues like this.

Teams have better preparation capabilities and tools than ever before, and will not need thousands and thousands of kilometers to get their cars ready to race.

Same thing with drivers. The quality of simulators today is extremely high, and they can spend all the time in the world in them to get an idea of how the car is performing and reacting with various setups and whatnot. They also do not need thousands of kilometers of real world time in order to be comfortable with what they're driving. They'll still likely get ~500km each in the upcoming test, plus more time in the practice sessions.

It'll be fine.