McLaren MCL60

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
michl420
michl420

Re: McLaren MCL60

f1rules wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 08:07
impressive the compression and how close the floor edge to the ground, but i quess the hidden iceskate "skirts" make sure of correct distance
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F6meyQuWQAA ... =4096x4096

Another high res from mclaren
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F6nFHP9W8AA ... =4096x4096
Are we sure that they still have this ice skates? I thought they must be named as part of the floor edge wing to be legal, and with that new, longer, floor edge wing since singapor they would be no longer part of it?

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

michl420 wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 12:03
f1rules wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 08:07
impressive the compression and how close the floor edge to the ground, but i quess the hidden iceskate "skirts" make sure of correct distance

Another high res from mclaren
Are we sure that they still have this ice skates? I thought they must be named as part of the floor edge wing to be legal, and with that new, longer, floor edge wing since singapor they would be no longer part of it?
Yes they’re still there blended from the floor. It’ll be a floor picture from a while ago but the skates are clearly visible as a protrusion from the floor

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 10:05
trinidefender wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 09:37
f1rules wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 09:22
yeah i saw the discussion and wanted add this, so they are running the higher df wing(not highest from monaco) at its lowest setting or thereabout and their lower df wing at its higher df setting, meaning aoa and how much gurney they decide to use i think
And also what beam wing combination, as well as gurney on the beam wing, they run with it
Yes they've bought a few. The question came up in the team thread about the packaging of them together (Sensible because the BW and RW do require an element of alignment to ensure right levels of expansaion at the rear) and I answered that the tendency in these situations is not to waste time with CFD or Tunnels etc but to bring the combinations to the track and see what works best.

I think it was PhilipM also that noted that the car would be more modular this year and the rear wing is a good example of how they can chop and change parts between the wings so that they don't need to rebuild large portions of wings. Naturally this will also aid with the budget cap. Same with the packaging around the SIPS.

On that note I wanted to ask a question. In the new floor, it appears that where they made changes to the side of the floor, they simple cut away part of the old floor and attached a new part, instead of creating a new floor.

Is this part of the modular approach to save money and for rapid development and only adapt the parts that need it or was this for some other Aero reason I can't comprehend? It feels like perhaps the rest of the floor itself didn't need adapting apart from perhaps the tunnels underneath, but that is subjective and I don't know but you'd imagine they were adapted.
As far as I remember exactly, the team completely revamped the underbody in the front, side as well as the diffuser. I daresay this is not a budget saving, but a complete approach to increasing the efficiency of the entire underbody.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 12:50
mwillems wrote:
trinidefender wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 09:37

And also what beam wing combination, as well as gurney on the beam wing, they run with it
Yes they've bought a few. The question came up in the team thread about the packaging of them together (Sensible because the BW and RW do require an element of alignment to ensure right levels of expansaion at the rear) and I answered that the tendency in these situations is not to waste time with CFD or Tunnels etc but to bring the combinations to the track and see what works best.

I think it was PhilipM also that noted that the car would be more modular this year and the rear wing is a good example of how they can chop and change parts between the wings so that they don't need to rebuild large portions of wings. Naturally this will also aid with the budget cap. Same with the packaging around the SIPS.

On that note I wanted to ask a question. In the new floor, it appears that where they made changes to the side of the floor, they simple cut away part of the old floor and attached a new part, instead of creating a new floor.

Is this part of the modular approach to save money and for rapid development and only adapt the parts that need it or was this for some other Aero reason I can't comprehend? It feels like perhaps the rest of the floor itself didn't need adapting apart from perhaps the tunnels underneath, but that is subjective and I don't know but you'd imagine they were adapted.
As far as I remember exactly, the team completely revamped the underbody in the front, side as well as the diffuser. I daresay this is not a budget saving, but a complete approach to increasing the efficiency of the entire underbody.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say underbody, does that include all the parts? I mean the wide flattish floor itself, on which other elements attach such as the SIPS cover, the extended floor wing and the tunnel strakes will be attached to.

Is the extended wing on the floor, for example, bolted on for an aero reason instead of being one composite part or is it like that because of the modular and budget related approach to making changes?

It's an important point in how the team are able to produce such a rapid rate of development under the budget cap.

The diffuser is also a separate part to the floor, unless I've lost my mind.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

MTudor
MTudor

Could you put a winglet inside the bottom part of the gully with the opening larger let's say 0.8 mm in height and the exit 0.2 mm in height to energize the flow of air down there?
Last edited by MTudor on 22 Sep 2023, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

f1rules wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 09:22
yeah i saw the discussion and wanted add this, so they are running the higher df wing(not highest from monaco) at its lowest setting or thereabout and their lower df wing at its higher df setting, meaning aoa and how much gurney they decide to use i think
Indeed not the highest DF wing we have available, and in comparison to other wings run at Monaco that wing itself was quite small.

This is what fuels my belief that we don't have a "true" High DF wing, we only have high DF wing in the sense that it is the highest of those available to the team. Quite rightly we don't want to waste budget making one when the focus is on the floor and other parts that interact with it.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 14:01
LionsHeart wrote:
mwillems wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean when you say underbody, does that include all the parts? I mean the wide flattish floor itself, on which other elements attach such as the SIPS cover, the extended floor wing and the tunnel strakes will be attached to.

Is the extended wing on the floor, for example, bolted on for an aero reason instead of being one composite part or is it like that because of the modular and budget related approach to making changes?

It's an important point in how the team are able to produce such a rapid rate of development under the budget cap.

Yeah, I'm going to correct myself a little bit. I mean the bottom. The floor. I don't know where and how the screws are attached, although some elements can be seen in high resolution. The diffuser has been made in one piece with the floor for a long time, hasn't it? I haven't seen the diffuser mounted separately for a long time. About modularity, I think you are right. If some parts are attached separately to the floor and are part of the floor, then we can talk about some modularity. But after looking at all the changes on the floor, I only realized that it is a new floor starting with the throat, side edge, diffuser. I'm sure the venturi ducts have also been changed to a small degree.

The geometry of the diffuser has changed and now drops more from the center to the edges when viewed from the rear. This was previously introduced by Red Bull.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 14:36
mwillems wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:

Yeah, I'm going to correct myself a little bit. I mean the bottom. The floor. I don't know where and how the screws are attached, although some elements can be seen in high resolution. The diffuser has been made in one piece with the floor for a long time, hasn't it? I haven't seen the diffuser mounted separately for a long time. About modularity, I think you are right. If some parts are attached separately to the floor and are part of the floor, then we can talk about some modularity. But after looking at all the changes on the floor, I only realized that it is a new floor starting with the throat, side edge, diffuser. I'm sure the venturi ducts have also been changed to a small degree.

The geometry of the diffuser has changed and now drops more from the center to the edges when viewed from the rear. This was previously introduced by Red Bull.
I think we are on the same page. Yes I think the diffuser is part of it, so perhaps they did build a whole new floor if that is the case.

So is that winglet on the floor deliberately adjustable and what is its function?

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 14:41
LionsHeart wrote:
mwillems wrote:

I think we are on the same page. Yes I think the diffuser is part of it, so perhaps they did build a whole new floor if that is the case.

So is that winglet on the floor deliberately adjustable and what is its function?
I honestly don't know. I'm not sure if this area is adjustable. It's more likely to be rigidly mounted brackets. I could be wrong. I remember that there are metal parts under the bottom, possibly titanium. These may be adjustable to act as a limiter at high speeds, including fast tight corners. They are mounted on the sides, near the side edge of the underbody closer to the rear wheels. Maybe this area is adjustable to prevent the bottom lip from completely collapsing and thus not losing downforce or recreating jumps.

Edit: Regarding the purpose function: most likely to keep flows above the floor from flowing under the floor. To lock the flows, thus stabilizing the downforce level. Perhaps this area is also involved in the creation of a wide window, which had a favorable effect on the passage in slow corners.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 14:53
mwillems wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:

I honestly don't know. I'm not sure if this area is adjustable. It's more likely to be rigidly mounted brackets. I could be wrong. I remember that there are metal parts under the bottom, possibly titanium. These may be adjustable to act as a limiter at high speeds, including fast tight corners. They are mounted on the sides, near the side edge of the underbody closer to the rear wheels. Maybe this area is adjustable to prevent the bottom lip from completely collapsing and thus not losing downforce or recreating jumps.

Edit: Regarding the purpose function: most likely to keep flows above the floor from flowing under the floor. To lock the flows, thus stabilizing the downforce level. Perhaps this area is also involved in the creation of a wide window, which had a favorable effect on the passage in slow corners.
If you mean the skates I thought they were further back. There was a smaller wing there before and it has been extended so I don't know if it is to do with this. But yes when I saw it I thought it was rigid, which made me wonder if that was part of a modular approach, but if they rebuilt the diffuser, which I don't think is a modular part then this can't be true.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 15:01
LionsHeart wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 14:53
mwillems wrote:

If you mean the skates I thought they were further back. There was a smaller wing there before and it has been extended so I don't know if it is to do with this. But yes when I saw it I thought it was rigid, which made me wonder if that was part of a modular approach, but if they rebuilt the diffuser, which I don't think is a modular part then this can't be true.
That's right. By titanium part, I mean the skates. And about the bottom edge, teams are experimenting in that area. Some teams recreate the locking effect one way, others another way. Ideally, the key is to lock the bottom edge tightly so as not to let the flows above the floor into the area below the floor. Keeping disturbances from the front tires out. As I can understand, the more stable the charged flows there, the more stable and efficient the venturi channel is. Perhaps to some extent the diffuser edge in the mouse hole area. Without computer modeling data, I have no idea how engineers interpret the technical regulations.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Stella explaining the changes to the MCL60.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/the- ... /10525546/

hollus

Mercedes? Wrong thread. Deleted here.
Rivals, not enemies.

ANDY238
ANDY238

Last edited by ANDY238 on 27 Sep 2023, 02:38, edited 3 times in total.

trinidefender
trinidefender

I know in the beginning of 2022 McLaren used a front pullrod and rear pushrod suspension, with Red Bull being the only other team with the same setup. It's clear the front pullrod was carried over for 2023 but can't remember for certain if the rear pushrod was carried over as well.

Can anyone confirm if the rear being pushrod is the same for 2023?

As a side question have any of the other teams also adopted front pull/rear pushrod suspension?

Edit: looking at this drawing by GP it seems to still be a pushrod