Aston Martin AMR23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SSJ4
SSJ4

Re: Aston Martin AMR23

diffuser

Looks like they both Ran the old side pod and side floor config in quali ..... The first pic is Stroll in FP1. The other 2 are Quali. Fernando ran the new config in FP1.

organic

diffuser

organic wrote:
07 Nov 2023, 19:05
Wonder if we'll see SPEC 5 again in Vegas, it has less drag. The top speed in FP1 in Brazil for Alonso(w/ Spec 5) was 331.2, in Quali with Spec 4 it was 323.5. In FP1, you could probably add that the PU wick wasn't at 100% and he probably was carrying extra fuel.

mzso
mzso

So basically they just reverted back to an older specification and instantly came back to rival McLaren as the closest car to Red Bull again. What a wasted year this has become for them.

AMG.Tzan

mzso wrote:
07 Nov 2023, 20:20
So basically they just reverted back to an older specification and instantly came back to rival McLaren as the closest car to Red Bull again. What a wasted year this has become for them.
Sad but true!

Considering the amount of development time they had until July (since they finished 7th last year) and the “penalty” Red Bull had, I thought that they would catch Red Bull by the end of the season…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

diffuser

mzso wrote:
They did say they were never intending to compete at this level this year or next year. 2025 will be the year prior to regulation change, it will likely be short year for updates.

I don't think SPEC 5 is finished, it's just a start. It is partially a data gathering endeavour to create a car that has less drag at high speed. It does have less drag but it's lost DF at lower speeds. It will likely evolve to the AMR24 Spec 1.

Ashwinv16

diffuser wrote:
07 Nov 2023, 23:06
mzso wrote:
They did say they were never intending to compete at this level this year or next year. 2025 will be the year prior to regulation change, it will likely be short year for updates.

I don't think SPEC 5 is finished, it's just a start. It is partially a data gathering endeavour to create a car that has less drag at high speed. It does have less drag but it's lost DF at lower speeds. It will likely evolve to the AMR24 Spec 1.
I don't think Spec 5 sidepod undercut will ever come back as its constantly proving that drag reduction is not the way to go, but a evolution of spec 4 (deeper undercut into the sidepod while maintaining the edge dislocation for outwash and eddy(vortex for flow attachment). Also while the floor edge has changed back, the inside of the floor, the bargeboards and the diffuser are from latest upgrade from Zanvoort. If I was at Aston after multiple failed experiments of drag reduction since Canada, I would stick with just focusing on the current concept with increasing the under body and floor downforce and dropping the drag by running smaller wings. It will mean slower car in high speed circuits but It seems like this car on the current design language can brake latter then most cars and exit the corners faster than most cars (as seen in early part of the season until Canada). The current car still has so much potential and this was the first time they ran this spec with the mix and match parts (The car was on 90% quali set-up which is why they had no pace on medium tyres). Guaranteed the current spec in brazil will be even faster in the race with a balanced set-up and maybe even faster if the bolt on the floor edge of spec 5(which actually worked but they didn't bring it to brazil as they didn't have time to mold it into the spec 4 sidepod)
Halo not as bad as we thought

KimiRai
KimiRai

Ashwinv16 wrote:
08 Nov 2023, 02:48
I don't think Spec 5 sidepod undercut will ever come back as its constantly proving that drag reduction is not the way to go, but a evolution of spec 4 (deeper undercut into the sidepod while maintaining the edge dislocation for outwash and eddy(vortex for flow attachment). Also while the floor edge has changed back, the inside of the floor, the bargeboards and the diffuser are from latest upgrade from Zanvoort. If I was at Aston after multiple failed experiments of drag reduction since Canada, I would stick with just focusing on the current concept with increasing the under body and floor downforce and dropping the drag by running smaller wings. It will mean slower car in high speed circuits but It seems like this car on the current design language can brake latter then most cars and exit the corners faster than most cars (as seen in early part of the season until Canada). The current car still has so much potential and this was the first time they ran this spec with the mix and match parts (The car was on 90% quali set-up which is why they had no pace on medium tyres). Guaranteed the current spec in brazil will be even faster in the race with a balanced set-up and maybe even faster if the bolt on the floor edge of spec 5(which actually worked but they didn't bring it to brazil as they didn't have time to mold it into the spec 4 sidepod)
That's a lot of speculation, but considering you somehow knew about the sidepod waterslides by January, I'll shut myself... :D
(...how did you know? if I may ask)

diffuser

Is the drag reduction not the way to go or is there significant learning before they get it right? It took McLaren a while to get it right and they had it in preseason testing. Right now only Alpine and Aston are still using the sidepod floor kick out. I have concerns about not moving ahead but I have no real idea which one is better. Just see the trend.

What made the setup, 90% quali?

On board with Alonso with Medium tire, It wasn't that he didn't have pace, he wasn't using it. He took it easy in the first few laps bringing the tires up to speed. Then he porposely rubbed his tail in Perez's face. In hopes he'd wear Perez's tires out.

makecry
makecry

diffuser wrote:
08 Nov 2023, 05:27
Is the drag reduction not the way to go or is there significant learning before they get it right? It took McLaren a while to get it right and they had it in preseason testing. Right now only Alpine and Aston are still using the sidepod floor kick out. I have concerns about not moving ahead but I have no real idea which one is better. Just see the trend.

What made the setup, 90% quali?

On board with Alonso with Medium tire, It wasn't that he didn't have pace, he wasn't using it. He took it easy in the first few laps bringing the tires up to speed. Then he porposely rubbed his tail in Perez's face. In hopes he'd wear Perez's tires out.
Yea it's not really accurate to say he did not have pace. He started increasing the gap on Checo by the end of the stint.

hollus

A gentle reminder: lap times and relative pace between drivers in a race, in the team thread, not in the car thread. Thanks.
Rivals, not enemies.

diffuser

zoroastar
zoroastar

to me it seems like the mixed up sprint weekends have affected aston worse than any of the other teams. it seems like every weekend that they brought major updates, they were hamstrung by a sprint race. partly their fault for scheduling their updates that way, but also its probably unavoidable to some extent. wouldve helped if their updates worked right out of the gate like some of the competition, but if this article is true it sounds like they were doing a lot of public testing for next year. i hope they have it all figured out now haha

diffuser

zoroastar wrote:
08 Nov 2023, 19:51
to me it seems like the mixed up sprint weekends have affected aston worse than any of the other teams. it seems like every weekend that they brought major updates, they were hamstrung by a sprint race. partly their fault for scheduling their updates that way, but also its probably unavoidable to some extent. wouldve helped if their updates worked right out of the gate like some of the competition, but if this article is true it sounds like they were doing a lot of public testing for next year. i hope they have it all figured out now haha
Think they knew going in they might be off, which is why they did it.
"We did a bit too much R&D work in front of you all, and over two race weekends, which maybe in hindsight wasn’t the right thing to do.

“But we’re pretty happy that we’ve got a good understanding of the way to develop the car, which is key for next year. That was the most crucial data for us to get. We’ve got that, now it’s just about trying to have as strong a last three races as we can. Improvements were required not just with the car but how the team was tackling R&D work", McCullough added.

“We’ve had to adapt our understanding, the wind tunnel and the CFD based on these regulations. Everyone’s had to do that. We’ve just had to do some pretty extreme things to help correlate those tools, and you’re seeing lots of aero rakes on the car. At the same time, it’s just about what is that flow field doing from the front of the car to the rear when you do this on the real car. That’s what we needed to get."

Now they have the correlation data to go forward.

They ran the aero rakes on SPEC 5. So I think it's the go forward.