Mercedes W14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: Mercedes W14

Upper pictures are Austin. Not very revealing photos from Fabrega, but more photos will follow over the course of the weekend and later which could tell more about which way the floor has gone.

Tomsky
Tomsky

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Looks pretty similar but it seems they mayne did away with their lazily swept under floor fences and gave them a more dramatic curve.

Evidence of this could be how the new floor fence exits have shifted forward.and seems slightly increased in length along the floor edge.

Could create a shift in aero balance as well.

Having more downforce generated here should free up the front wing to do more flow conditioning to the floor which in turn should produce more downforce everywhere else.

maygun
maygun

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F82ngfzXUAA ... me=900x900

This photo looks like a v.12 of a messy engineering project where you put bits here and there and hope it will work :D

El_KaPpa
El_KaPpa

Of course I struggle. I just don’t quit.

El_KaPpa
El_KaPpa

Of course I struggle. I just don’t quit.

Farnborough
Farnborough

Significant change in volume and flow for outboard floor front strake entry area.

CjC
CjC

Yea after seeing the new floor I’m not buying Allison’s 1 tenth of a second laptime gain. It’ll probably be more than that and I expect them to be the second quickest team in Austin.
Just a fan's point of view

Farnborough
Farnborough

Yes, it may not look much from the outside, but appears a substantial shift in the development direction they're working on.

I think it was misunderstood when I've written previously about MB not needing to concentrate on race placement success for the remainder of this year, that's obviously important I can see that. But the biggest "prize" now available is on track development, improvement, raw track time etc for understanding the movement in design philosophy for the coming chassis.

There's subtle difference, but ultimate prize IS next year, not now.

JA has eluded to this in his recent delivery I know.

It'll be an intriguing step to see what it does here, more potent obviously good. But a good signpost for next step certainly, that's both plus or minus changes. Enough time to work with it this season, rather that get a surprise on next car launch.

F1Krof

From the outside doesn't look much different. The fun part is what's underneath the skirt.
Wroom wroom

ThijsMuis
ThijsMuis

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Internal changes for the rear floor stay?

organic

Listed changes for this weekend

Luscion
Luscion

organic wrote:
20 Oct 2023, 17:32
Listed changes for this weekend

https://i.imgur.com/S44WZl6.jpeg
Was wondering if this upgrade would address their car stepping out from a lack of rear downforce and seems like it does address it, hopefully it works and the drivers can finally push the car with confidence

organic

Nice top-down angle of the new floor fences. Will seek comparison photos later unless someone else does first

Giorgio Piola 📸

And floor edge. Can see how they're really making these areas where the floor vortices are kicked out rounded.. reminds me of old diffusers.