2023 car comparison thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: 2023 car comparison thread

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 01:08
Both Alpine and Alpha Tauri have developed this rear flap detail:

https://i.postimg.cc/T1bZ5Frn/image.png
https://i.postimg.cc/76GRjdtj/image.png
Merc have something somewhat similar this weekend as well

No coincidence that it's all happened this weekend on the high downforce wings that we see this.. most likely a feature that isn't the most efficient df - most likely making the secondary RW plane a lot less efficient by removing the partial endplate.

probably in the second half of the season eg at Mexico/Singapore we'll see other teams try this

Of the 3 similar ideas we've seen so far mercs looks the most refined and unsurprisingly AT the least

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 02:58
AR3-GP wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/fr3dze6.jpeg

No coincidence that it's all happened this weekend on the high downforce wings that we see this.. most likely a feature that isn't the most efficient df - most likely making the secondary RW plane a lot less efficient by removing the partial endplate.

probably in the second half of the season eg at Mexico/Singapore we'll see other teams try this

Of the 3 similar ideas we've seen so far mercs looks the most refined and unsurprisingly AT the least
I would disagree about the level of refinement. I think the difference is not refinement, but purpose. The Alpine and the Alpha Tauri look like they have just added a vertical turning vane near the wing tip. I think it's to get some outwash/additional expansion out of the wing tip. The Mercedes junction looks more flow neutral.

If there are legality issues, the Merc will likely survive. The Alpine and the AT will not.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

What I find to be strange about it all is the timing. That's some coincidence for both AT and Alpine to have it at the same time. I would find it more likely that employees switched teams at some point.

Vanja #66

AMR23 had this feature in Monaco, so it's no wonder several teams copied it for the "Monaco without walls"

It looks like it enhances wing tip vorticity for a bit more suction on the flap and the underside. It should be functioning much like earlier cutouts on endplates behind DRS flaps, to the same effect.

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

mzso
mzso

continuum16 wrote:
21 Jul 2023, 17:36
Cool shot; not sure we can draw any definite conclusions but interesting to see the spray patterns nonetheless.
Makes me think (yet again) that vortices ruined F1 racing.

Andi76
Andi76

organic wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 02:58
AR3-GP wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/fr3dze6.jpeg

Is the cut-out meant here? If so, then I think it is for drag reduction and has to do with the vortices. In 2003, similar cut-outs were used on the outer edges of the upper flaps to reduce drag by reducing the tip vortices. But maybe its the other way around and Vanja is right here. Anyway - in the era of 2003-2006 such cut-outs were used to reduce drag.

Stu

One thing that I have noticed with the new McLaren and RedBull sidepods, they seem to be very close to what the AMR22 & Alfa Romeo/Sauber were launched with last year, but they a (very) massaged to give outwash and downwash. The undercut is now almost full depth for the length of the pod in both cases.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

mclaren111

Stu wrote:
25 Jul 2023, 14:23
One thing that I have noticed with the new McLaren and RedBull sidepods, they seem to be very close to what the AMR22 & Alfa Romeo/Sauber were launched with last year, but they a (very) massaged to give outwash and downwash. The undercut is now almost full depth for the length of the pod in both cases.

Same here... Ironic...

continuum16

mclaren111 wrote:
25 Jul 2023, 14:27
Stu wrote:
25 Jul 2023, 14:23

Same here... Ironic...
Actually the very first update package for the Alfa C42 from Imola last year is probably the first of the “full-length” undercuts that are so popular now. The top of the sidepods even had a general downwash shape, except instead of going all-in on it there is an awkward inwash kink at the rear and a very short coke bottle section. And obviously no concave top surface of any kind (be it gullies/bathtubs/water slides etc.)

Makes you wonder how they are so far behind this year when they hit on the general trend earlier than most.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

ringo

That design is critically different with some detas. The outwash must push the flow onto the floor edge elements. It must also be somewhat nearer the front to seal most of the floor downstream. This alfa design doesnt have much outwash.
Also from the top we can see the sidepod is not very sloped and it does not connect the flow to the top of the diffuser.
But yeah i agree it could have served as some inspiration.

The redbull is very careful in not having a too deep of an undercut. They want to locate any kind of vortex centre point near the edge of the floor. This is what i think by the way. Not facts.
For Sure!!

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Re: Red Bull RB19

organic

Vanes used to manage rear tyre temperature - directs air to the rim of the tyre ?

RB19

*Ferrari image was not current - deleted

AMR23
Last edited by organic on 08 Aug 2023, 03:56, edited 1 time in total.

mzso
mzso

Mchamilton wrote:
31 Jul 2023, 22:48
So they have the trick with channeling air through the sidepod, and are the only ones who can guide the front tire wake away from the rest of the car?
Seems like there won't be any competition till 2026...

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

mzso wrote:
03 Aug 2023, 22:45
Mchamilton wrote:
31 Jul 2023, 22:48
So they have the trick with channeling air through the sidepod, and are the only ones who can guide the front tire wake away from the rest of the car?
Seems like there won't be any competition till 2026...
Or the FIA say "that's not our intention with these rules, change the bits that are doing it". Oh, silly me, its RBR not Merc or Ferrari... :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Sieper

djos wrote:
04 Aug 2023, 10:24
Vanja #66 wrote:
04 Aug 2023, 10:18
Guys, don't tell anyone, but neither the "bypass" theory (presented for the third time by the same channel btw) nor the sidepods are RB19's secret sauce :wink:
Lol, indeed. It's pretty clear their "Philosophy" is the secret sauce - ie, not chasing peak downforce, but aiming for stable, overall usable downforce.

As they say in my industry, perfection is the enemy of good.
I think that is spot on. And this is also how I see the two teams (just me babbling along, opinion) Mercedes seems to always aim for perfection. Corporate, neat, strict, tidy. They were also very confident with the zero-pod. And it could have worked, but likely they chased perfection while in reality that will not work with all the unknowns. Track surface, wind changes, track unevenness. Redbull seems more down to earth, a bit more loose, more racing than corporate and likely Newey already tried perfection and knows it won’t work, so made something that does work. In the beginning it was too heavy. But now they have also gotten rid of that and so the car is a force. Almost everywhere.