Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gordonthegun

Re: Ferrari SF23

After front, now rear wing:

gordonthegun

AMuS:

jambuka
jambuka

Ferrari for Qatar:

f1316
f1316

When did Ferrari introduce the (now commonplace) rear wing corner cutout (for want of a better term)?

Vanja #66

f1316 wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 03:11
When did Ferrari introduce the (now commonplace) rear wing corner cutout (for want of a better term)?
That cutout was present on basically all launch cars in 2022. Some teams later filled it out and even later cut it out again, Mercedes and Alpine pop to my mind. The novel thing is a discontinuous joint between flap "endplate" and the actual endplate, which Ferrari used only on the Spa wing this year, for now.

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Z-one
Z-one

Vanja #66 wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 08:12
f1316 wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 03:11
That cutout was present on basically all launch cars in 2022. Some teams later filled it out and even later cut it out again, Mercedes and Alpine pop to my mind. The novel thing is a discontinuous joint between flap "endplate" and the actual endplate, which Ferrari used only on the Spa wing this year, for now.

https://cdn-2.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... ail-1.webp
I think what he said may be the ridge of rear wing endplate,like aston apline
The mankind’s courage and resolution will be witnessed and remembered by stars.

gordonthegun

Interesting views of FW:

Vanja #66

gordonthegun wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 14:06
Interesting views of FW:

https://cdn-8.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... ail-1.webp
Really nice angle. I'm still not buying into their explanation that they need to setup the car with extra understeer for it to be more stable, at least not as the only explanation of the chronic understeer. Those flaps (3rd and 4th) are heavily cambered to pull off such an abrupt increase in angle that we see here and the transition to outboard section shows just how much this sacrifices the planform surface and, consequently, the available downforce.

I think it's most likely their downstream flow is very sensitive to any major changes to inboard section flap angle and an increase in resulting chord length of the whole wing. It was strange to see no incidence angle on their front suspension arms and still is, no idea what's going on there but it may have something to do with said sensitivity.

In the first part of the season, I thought they rely on extra strong outwash on the front wing for downstream performance (floor and sidepod interaction obviously) so they need such an aggressive wing angle and so they are forced to sacrifice planform surface. However, after the major changes of endplates and that whole area in Austria, which have big consequences on outwash structures, it's fairly certain this isn't the only reason to keep such a wing design. Maybe it's not even any of the reasons at all.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

FDD
FDD

Vanja #66 wrote:
11 Oct 2023, 14:09
gordonthegun wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 14:06
Interesting views of FW:

https://cdn-8.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... ail-1.webp
Really nice angle. I'm still not buying into their explanation that they need to setup the car with extra understeer for it to be more stable, at least not as the only explanation of the chronic understeer. Those flaps (3rd and 4th) are heavily cambered to pull off such an abrupt increase in angle that we see here and the transition to outboard section shows just how much this sacrifices the planform surface and, consequently, the available downforce.

I think it's most likely their downstream flow is very sensitive to any major changes to inboard section flap angle and an increase in resulting chord length of the whole wing. It was strange to see no incidence angle on their front suspension arms and still is, no idea what's going on there but it may have something to do with said sensitivity.

In the first part of the season, I thought they rely on extra strong outwash on the front wing for downstream performance (floor and sidepod interaction obviously) so they need such an aggressive wing angle and so they are forced to sacrifice planform surface. However, after the major changes of endplates and that whole area in Austria, which have big consequences on outwash structures, it's fairly certain this isn't the only reason to keep such a wing design. Maybe it's not even any of the reasons at all.
Thank you for your analysis.
Also I do not expect from them to be honest with "their explanation that they need to setup the car with extra understeer for it to be more stable".
They are hiding which is normal and above all it is clever.

gordonthegun

gordonthegun

"Rear wing comparison. Medium-high load solutions for this event despite the long straight of the COTA."

organic

Looks like the same configuration as Japan. Some people are saying that the endplate corner has been modified and I did at first until I saw a comparable angle

Japan

COTA

Z-one
Z-one

organic wrote:
19 Oct 2023, 20:37
Looks like the same configuration as Japan. Some people are saying that the endplate corner has been modified and I did at first until I saw a comparable angle

Japan

https://i.imgur.com/OFBuDDM.jpeg

COTA

https://i.imgur.com/WWEGXy2.jpeg
the major difference is the BW
The mankind’s courage and resolution will be witnessed and remembered by stars.

gordonthegun

RWs:

gordonthegun

FWs: