Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ANDY238
ANDY238

Re: Ferrari SF23

organic

Most interesting image of the lot IMO

Vanja #66

christian.falavena wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 16:11
Some images taken by the Sky Italy documentary about the Scuderia.
I fount interesting the CFD of the F1-75 (not properly the F1-75, maybe an evaluation of possible improvements, it's an hybrid between SF23 and F1-75)
Can't help but notice that ambient pressure zone (gray) just casually corresponding to my eyeball-cfd expectations a year ago :mrgreen: No wonder they cut so much drag year-on-year, excellent pressure recovery on the whole rear end of the cover

Vanja #66 wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 09:25
I guess the overall tighter bodywork explains why the tubs are now shallower, they had to add a bit of volume somewhere. I don't think tubs' excessive depth can add more downforce and, in Ferrari/Haas execution, this downward slope also has a limited effect on reducing drag. So it would make sense the team chose to tighten the engine cover to "expand" the ambient pressure zone in the tubs.

Something like this, SF-23 is at a different angle so the length of ambient pressure zone is the same but shown according to the photo available. Regarding the width, I think this is why the team narrowed the engine cover further - to expand the ambient pressure zone laterally and further reduce the drag over the engine cover. The exact pressure distribution is not like this, this is just my rough estimate.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

DinkLv
DinkLv

Existence of the "s-duct" has been confirmed in a recent documentary from Sky Sport Italy, featured on a late-2023 car:

Pipe:

Outlet:

An example of the outlet position with other bodywork panels installed:
Last edited by DinkLv on 10 Feb 2024, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.

DinkLv
DinkLv

Further footage of this late-2023-spec car and its parts from the documentary: