Telemetry thread 2023

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.

Should a car telemetry thread be created

Yes
98%
No
2%

Total votes: 85

AmateurDriver
AmateurDriver

Re: 2024 car comparison thread

venkyhere wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 16:14
AmateurDriver wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 13:57
Basing this kind or comparison on a heavy fuel lap is nonsense. Conditions and purposes could be completely different.
If you notice the white circles and the 'upslope' of the speed plots leading up to it :
1 - red and blue are almost coincident in the 'upslope' => acceleration is nearly same, which kind of balances out engine power per kg of weight carried between the two.
2 - the flat-lining of the blue trace, just before a corner, occurs not just at T1 (the corner after the longest straight), but at every single corner after any kind of straighline/nearly-straightline speed builup. That means, it can't be terminal velocity difference due to drag difference or terminal velocity due to engine power limitation.

I can't think of any other explanation for the white encircled events, other than 'blue trace car is lifting way before he needs to brake'.

I am of course open to correction, eager to hear an alternative explanation.
I only wanted to mean that conditions those laps were based pn are so uncertain that one can infer basically nothing. I think that fast runs lend themselves much more to this kind of comparison, since on fast runs conditions are likely much more similar.

Mmgnt
Mmgnt

venkyhere wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 16:14
AmateurDriver wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 13:57
Basing this kind or comparison on a heavy fuel lap is nonsense. Conditions and purposes could be completely different.
If you notice the white circles and the 'upslope' of the speed plots leading up to it :
1 - red and blue are almost coincident in the 'upslope' => acceleration is nearly same, which kind of balances out engine power per kg of weight carried between the two.
2 - the flat-lining of the blue trace, just before a corner, occurs not just at T1 (the corner after the longest straight), but at every single corner after any kind of straighline/nearly-straightline speed builup. That means, it can't be terminal velocity difference due to drag difference or terminal velocity due to engine power limitation.

I can't think of any other explanation for the white encircled events, other than 'blue trace car is lifting way before he needs to brake'.

I am of course open to correction, eager to hear an alternative explanation.
I like your explanation and analysis, however after thinking about it for a while, as AmateurDriver said there are too many other uncontrolled variables to come to any conclusions.

Fuel load, tire wear, engine settings are just 3 that affect car behaviour (including accel/decel rate), not to mention whether the driver is actually pushing, and at which points during the lap. Also, consider that the lap you've highlighted was around 7 sec slower than the fastest.

I'd like to see your analysis on their 2 fastest laps, which maybe aligns more variables... Until, that is, we have quali laps which should make tires, engine, and effort levels the same.

venkyhere
venkyhere

Mmgnt wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 23:37

I like your explanation and analysis, however after thinking about it for a while, as AmateurDriver said there are too many other uncontrolled variables to come to any conclusions.
Thank you.

Mmgnt wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 23:37
Fuel load, tire wear, engine settings are just 3 that affect car behaviour (including accel/decel rate), not to mention whether the driver is actually pushing, and at which points during the lap. Also, consider that the lap you've highlighted was around 7 sec slower than the fastest.
That's exactly the point I am making - the three factors you mention is already encompassed in the 'upwards' direction of the two plots, immediately after each turn. The 'sawtooth' like rise, is coincident almost - telling us that regardless of engine-mode/weight/tyre-state/driver-push differences, the rate of gaining speed was same between both cars. (Actually, if you zoom in and see, the blue is marginally 'above' the red, which further exacerbates the sandbagging theory). So the combined influence of the 4 factors remained the same between red and blue, all the way from the bottom vertices (each slow turn) until near the 'sawtooth sharp end' (braking point before next turn). But suddenly, 'tapering off'/flatlining occurs only for the blue plot and it has a blunt sawtooth, unlike the sharp one the red has.

How can this happen, unless atleast one of the 4 factors, is suddenly changed ? Out of the 4 factors, we can say that the thing that can be immediately changed, at will, at any corner approach speed, is "driver push". And that is exactly what I am hinting at. If the red and blue were not coincident in the 'bottom-to-top' movement from one corner to another, I wouldn't be claiming this.

i am looking for a non-driver related reason that will keep the two plots convergent/overlaid/coincident for all the acceleration phases, but suddenly make them divergent just before the speed shedding starts. For every corner to next corner.