[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

HermesMotorsport wrote:
24 Dec 2023, 10:06
Interesting images LVDH! Some of this floors are real works of art! :shock:
Indeed, yours could use some more green and blue...

HermesMotorsport

Indeed, yours could use some more green and blue...
Haha yes! I'll be working on it during the break!

spacehead3

LVDH wrote:
24 Dec 2023, 09:29
Today, I also have some pretty revealing images of the car undersides for you:
Fascinating as always to see how different the concepts are despite the similar performance. Looks like we're pretty evenly split between "aggressive" and "smooth" diffusers, eh? I played around a lot with a sharp diffuser kick-up at the start of the year and just could not make it work at all.
Max Taylor

variante

spacehead3 wrote:
24 Dec 2023, 16:40
Fascinating as always to see how different the concepts are despite the similar performance. Looks like we're pretty evenly split between "aggressive" and "smooth" diffusers, eh? I played around a lot with a sharp diffuser kick-up at the start of the year and just could not make it work at all.
Same here, but opposite situation.
I suppose we need to commit to one design to make it work. Especially with such sensitive cars.

LVDH

I think one of the very hard parts of this challenge and also in real life, is that you can come up of a few concepts and they will have different levels of performance, the question is which one can get optimized the easiest and what is the peak performance at the end of the development road. Just from the first concept, it is almost impossible to judge.

beschadigunc
beschadigunc

Very well developed floors there. Shows that you guys have understood the MVRC aero. Increasing mesh density would shift stuff around quite a bit but your ability to develop around conditions would remain. Good job all

CAEdevice

Hello, I hope your Christmas celebrations and banquets are going well.

I'm about to send the t-shirts to print: anyone who wants to add their own logo still has 24/48 hours (Purepower has already sent the logo).

yinlad

I was wondering, now that the official races are going to be run in the cloud is there a possibility of running a finer mesh for '24?
MVRC - Panthera

CAEdevice

Good evening, we can finally award the prizes:
  • Challenge winner: Team GRaph =D> =D> =D>
  • Best rookie: Team Busor =D>
  • Best performance (winner of the last race): Team Variante =D>
The winners are asked to send their address via email to matteo@caedevice.net, choosing one of the t-shirts available in the shop that André has prepared and then the prize will be shipped (no need to buy). Please include the desired size.

The following link is only a preview, an english version with some more items will be available soon.
https://mvrc.myspreadshop.it/

Busor
Busor

CAEdevice wrote:
09 Jan 2024, 19:45
The winners are asked to send their address via email to matteo@caedevice.net, choosing one of the t-shirts available in the shop that André has prepared and then the prize will be shipped (no need to buy). Please include the desired size.

The following link is only a preview, an english version with some more items will be available soon.
Does that mean I get a t-shirt? :o I thought it was only for champion and winner of the last race?
Busor

CAEdevice

Busor wrote:
11 Jan 2024, 20:24
CAEdevice wrote:

Does that mean I get a t-shirt? :o I thought it was only for champion and winner of the last race?
It depends on the cost of the prize, but this year, I confirm the prize for the best rookie ... congratulations!

Busor
Busor

CAEdevice wrote:
11 Jan 2024, 20:39
Busor wrote:
11 Jan 2024, 20:24
CAEdevice wrote:

It depends on the cost of the prize, but this year, I confirm the prize for the best rookie ... congratulations!
Amazing, thank you!
Busor

LVDH

So, I would finally like to get back to MVRC.
First I would like to ask the team captains of 2023, what they (dis-) liked and what they would like to have changed for 2024?
Thank you very much.

Ft5fTL

LVDH wrote:
24 Jan 2024, 17:40
First I would like to ask the team captains of 2023, what they (dis-) liked and what they would like to have changed for 2024?
Thank you very much.
Suspensions for me. I did some sims with a more downwashy front suspension config with my 2022 car on pre-season last year that added around -1 lift to that car. Apart from that i believe adding a side crash structure will add to the realism (maybe with +-50mm vertical config option).
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

spacehead3

LVDH wrote:
24 Jan 2024, 17:40
Thank you very much.
I have two requests:
The first is to shrink the volume around the engine cover winglets, because they're silly.

The second is to add tire roughness. Currently we're modeling the tires with the same surface characteristics as the rest of the car, which is not really accurate. The consequence is that the wake on the top side of the tire is much smaller than is should be. I think many of us have experienced this when trying to replicate the F1 tire vanes -- they are supposed to reduce drag and tire wake but our wake is already so small that they don't help.

So, below you will see a few runs that I did with increasing tire roughness. To add this is a simple process of just replacing a few lines in the 0\nut file, and I've included the appropriate code below.

I'd suggest that we go for 0.5mm roughness which is the 3rd image. From asking around a bit that seems to be a reasonable value and makes our tire wake look much better.

Max Taylor