[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
spacehead3

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

LVDH wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 20:35
It might be a good idea to mandate such a closed volume in the body
Well, I'm going to disagree with you there. I use a lot of that volume for cooling exhaust (and so does real F1). Maybe some of the engine geometry can be cleaned up to reduce the chance of having empty pockets (something you pointed out earlier in the year) but I would definitely not want to have a solid engine cover.

And BTW that is a great looking surface Keith.
Max Taylor

CAEdevice

spacehead3 wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 21:05
LVDH wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 20:35
It might be a good idea to mandate such a closed volume in the body
Well, I'm going to disagree with you there. I use a lot of that volume for cooling exhaust (and so does real F1). Maybe some of the engine geometry can be cleaned up to reduce the chance of having empty pockets (something you pointed out earlier in the year) but I would definitely not want to have a solid engine cover.

And BTW that is a great looking surface Keith.
I agree. No need to make the closed volume of engine cover mandatory: each team will conveniently limit the not used portion to reduce mesh size.

Ft5fTL

yinlad wrote:
24 Jan 2024, 22:15

2) Suspension design freedom. I'd like to see something like this where we can make our own aero shrouds around smaller internal mandatory members, example mandatory part replacement in second image.

https://i.imgur.com/fBIcCqe.png
https://i.imgur.com/vfjxsjK.png

For this I imagine a sub set of rules where the arms have to be straight, one section in X, Y, Z. The usual 'no funny business' requirements
I agree with this. This gives us a lot of freedom without potential silly designs.

Also there was an issue that if i remember correctly Matteo was mentioning around mid season about the safetycell cockpit headrest area being unrealistic compared to the real life part.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

G-raph

I've just noticed there is a nasty gap at the back of the front brake duct scoop, leading to very poor mesh. Probably worth fixing for 2024.

variante

I pretty much agree with everything that's been suggested.

I'd also propose to finally introduce a proper rear volume (on the left), as in F1, as opposed to what we've been using (on the right).
That would allow us to use a full "cannon exit" and reduce our struggle with cooling.

Koldskaal

yinlad wrote:
LVDH wrote:
24 Jan 2024, 17:40
So, I would finally like to get back to MVRC.
First I would like to ask the team captains of 2023, what they (dis-) liked and what they would like to have changed for 2024?
Thank you very much.
I had a think about this today, it mostly echoes points made here already.

1) Reduce the engine cover volume / get rid of the sails.

2) Suspension design freedom. I'd like to see something like this where we can make our own aero shrouds around smaller internal mandatory members, example mandatory part replacement in second image.

I like this idea, but imo the the new reference volume should not be much larger than the current suspension arms:
I think the only additional rule you need for this region is max 4 sections in any y-plane.
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

yinlad

Koldskaal wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 09:49
yinlad wrote:
LVDH wrote:
24 Jan 2024, 17:40
So, I would finally like to get back to MVRC.
First I would like to ask the team captains of 2023, what they (dis-) liked and what they would like to have changed for 2024?
Thank you very much.

I like this idea, but imo the the new reference volume should not be much larger than the current suspension arms:
https://i.imgur.com/8QJy4FR.gif
https://i.imgur.com/aXM4vwv.gif
I think the only additional rule you need for this region is max 4 sections in any y-plane.
I think these volumes are a touch limiting in terms of available range of angles, but generally speaking exactly what I was talking about =D>
MVRC - Panthera

Koldskaal

yinlad wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 16:33
Koldskaal wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 09:49
yinlad wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/8QJy4FR.gif
https://i.imgur.com/aXM4vwv.gif
I think these volumes are a touch limiting in terms of available range of angles, but generally speaking exactly what I was talking about =D>
I think it looks more restrictive than it actually is. It is pretty easy to fit +/- 15 degrees aoa in there, which imo is plenty :D

*Edit. For the interested here is a link to download my proposal for the front and rear suspensions:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

G-raph

I like your proposal. But why not include the front pushrod and rear pullrod? They are currently the worst ones in my opinion.

yinlad

LVDH wrote:
25 Jan 2024, 21:56
G-raph wrote:
25 Jan 2024, 21:15
2 - There are still some rules (airbox, floor...) that are at best ambiguous or at worst contradictory, so they should be rewritten for maximum clarity.
Best is to just list your concerns here on the forum. But if you want, you can also get directly in touch with me. At a minimum, you have my email address.

Generally, I will have a new version well in advance of the first race ready. Right now, I am aiming for the Suzuka race of F1 to be our first race, so I have to hurry.
Kinda crazy to think but this is only 56 days away. Would be ideal to have a V1 of rules and parts "soon", or even a WIP ruleset with the changes integrated so we have an idea of what to expect ahead of R01
MVRC - Panthera

LVDH

Yes, and I am trying to get a first version done.

yinlad

LVDH wrote:
09 Feb 2024, 14:50
Yes, and I am trying to get a first version done.
=D> hero
MVRC - Panthera

CAEdevice

I was thinking that it would be useful to reward the evolution of the cars, also to keep interest alive until the end of the championship. My proposal is to run a double final race: same car (same submission) but two races on two circuits, one with a high load and one with a very low load (e.g. Classic Hockenheimring vs Shorted Hockenheimring). This would allow, without increasing the number of simulations, differentiated strategies (those who are not fighting for the championship could choose a specific setup and aim to win the race) and double scoring. The other four races before the "finals" would be in the traditional version.

yinlad

CAEdevice wrote:
10 Feb 2024, 19:37
I was thinking that it would be useful to reward the evolution of the cars, also to keep interest alive until the end of the championship. My proposal is to run a double final race: same car (same submission) but two races on two circuits, one with a high load and one with a very low load (e.g. Classic Hockenheimring vs Shorted Hockenheimring). This would allow, without increasing the number of simulations, differentiated strategies (those who are not fighting for the championship could choose a specific setup and aim to win the race) and double scoring. The other four races before the "finals" would be in the traditional version.
Given how tight the midfield was last year, I'm not sure adding double points and a hit of randomness does much for me. It felt like everyone last year was pretty engaged until the final race, in part to the former point that the field was already close and providing good competition.

I also don't think it really works out mathematically very well with two polar opposite tracks. The points distribution would favour cars that sit in the midfield/upper midfield and they are going to pick up more points across the two races than the winners of either race, assuming they then finish more or less last on the other track due to the polarity.

That's pretty rambly from me and I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense. Hopefully I got my point across :oops:
MVRC - Panthera

LVDH

It seems to me that some kind of rubberband rules make championships "better" but I really do not like them. But if there are good ideas, I am happy to listen.

In any case, I have launched the new season:
viewtopic.php?t=31555