2023 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 31 - April 02

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mzso
mzso

Re: 2023 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 31 - April 02

Artur Craft wrote:
03 Apr 2023, 16:10
mzso wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 21:57
People are always whining for something, and its polar opposite just as well. I'd rather see a few laps after a red flag than an SC finish.
F1 is not for you, then. I suggest you to try out this thing called NASCAR
No, it's not for you, because you seem clueless about it. SC finishes were rare enough to almost not exist, some years back. This SC, VSC crappines is a recent trend.

mzso
mzso

Chuckjr wrote:
04 Apr 2023, 07:33
mendis wrote:
03 Apr 2023, 12:03
Post race driver reaction (funny) :)

The man has serious talent. His Lewis I thought was the best. Nailed his voice. Same with George. His eyes and accents were spot on. Really impressive. 😂😂
Most of them is good. He doesn't do a good Leclerc, Stroll and some others. So he doesn't use them much.

chrisc90

Is there any real reason that laps done behind the SC cannot be added on at the end of the race increasing the race distance by up to say 6 laps maximum?

I literally cannot see any reason why they cant do it as you would only need a small additional amount of fuel. And it would give the teams the change to play with the risk of slightly underfuelling the car at the risk of having no safety car to cover the race distance rather than a potential race distance + 6 laps. That risk would also be massively reduced when the sport turns to more hybrid power units.

It would also greatly reduce the chance of the race finishing under the safety car aswell, as the laps done behind the SC are effectively voided by increasing the race distance.

It works perfectly fine in other race series. There is absolutely no reason it wouldnt work in F1 (I can see)

ringo

chrisc90 wrote:
03 Apr 2023, 20:07
I actually touched on the DRS speeds vs the Mercedes when Max overtakes Lewis. When Max hits the brakes the speed differential was HUGE.
chrisc90 wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 14:31
Mega to pull 2 seconds in 6 corners and a straight and a half (at the finish line).

Just look at the overtake where Max got infront...
https://i.ibb.co/wKfx2Q7/aus1.jpg
You can see the sheer increase in speed the RB gets when Max opens the DRS (the grid line just before HAM text in the chart title).

Then theres a 24kmh difference (DRS vs no DRS) when Lewis' car starts to recover....

https://i.ibb.co/GV0hXbZ/aus2.jpg

Verstappen can then keep his foot in longer and by the time he lifts off to brake for the corner, theres a whopping 56kmh difference between them both.

Of course the speeds are much close using the following Lap (13), but it is a very interesting thing to see.
So 2 seconds in 6 corners... not even 1 lap.. and People dont think this is not the fastest F1 in more than a decade?
For Sure!!

organic

ringo wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 06:08
chrisc90 wrote:
03 Apr 2023, 20:07
I actually touched on the DRS speeds vs the Mercedes when Max overtakes Lewis. When Max hits the brakes the speed differential was HUGE.
chrisc90 wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 14:31
Mega to pull 2 seconds in 6 corners and a straight and a half (at the finish line).

Just look at the overtake where Max got infront...
https://i.ibb.co/wKfx2Q7/aus1.jpg
You can see the sheer increase in speed the RB gets when Max opens the DRS (the grid line just before HAM text in the chart title).

Then theres a 24kmh difference (DRS vs no DRS) when Lewis' car starts to recover....

https://i.ibb.co/GV0hXbZ/aus2.jpg

Verstappen can then keep his foot in longer and by the time he lifts off to brake for the corner, theres a whopping 56kmh difference between them both.

Of course the speeds are much close using the following Lap (13), but it is a very interesting thing to see.
So 2 seconds in 6 corners... not even 1 lap.. and People dont think this is not the fastest F1 in more than a decade?
Max had drs in the following straight after already overtaking Hamilton which gave at least a few tenths, and ham did a final sector that was over a second slower than his own final sector on the previous lap. Add in Max pushing to get ham out of his DRS and the gap makes sense.
Last edited by organic on 05 Apr 2023, 06:20, edited 1 time in total.

ringo

Lap time is lap time. Both on similar aged tyres. 2 seconds in 6 corners is basically another formula. We would see this normally with the other cars if a little drs is going to do that.
But I do think the car is well designed to run like a different machine with DRS.
It would be interesting if more is discovered about it.
For Sure!!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

RB wish it was 2 seconds in 6 corners :wink:

organic

ringo wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 06:20
Lap time is lap time. Both on similar aged tyres. 2 seconds in 6 corners is basically another formula.
Yes and the laptime can be easily explained if you would just read my message...

Hamilton did a --- final sector compared to what he had already done and was able to do so the gap increased by over a second due to this. And max had the drs in the following straight because of only 1 detection for 2 zones so that is at least a few tenths. So 1.5s of the gap is easily explained.

You can try to ignore this to craft your narrative but what you are doing.. it's completely transparent :lol:

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

You might just get your wish in Spa ringo :wink:

Zynerji

ringo wrote:
Lap time is lap time. Both on similar aged tyres. 2 seconds in 6 corners is basically another formula. We would see this normally with the other cars if a little drs is going to do that.
But I do think the car is well designed to run like a different machine with DRS.
It does hurt the sport that 9 teams failed to challenge RBR this year...

Wouter

Red Bull won the Australian Grand Prix with Verstappen at the Albert Park circuit in Melbourne last weekend.
Mercedes driver George Russell saw the Red Bull's pace and was shocked. The Brit even believes that Red Bull Racing is taking it easy.
Russell thinks this is done to prevent the FIA from stopping them.

Max Verstappen has also heard Russell's words. However, the reigning world champion is not so concerned about it.
Verstappen tells the BBC that he does not expect a response from the FIA: "I don't think there is anything they can do.
We are just doing our best with the developments, but we were also managing the pace during the race.
No one knew how long the tires could last."

Verstappen does not deny that Red Bull currently has a faster car than the competition. The Dutchman explains the matter:
"It was just about bringing the car to the finish, we had a bit more pace than the rest.
In that case it is not necessary to gain half a second every lap and in that case process of screwing up your tyres.
In the end you never know if a Safety Car will come or a red flag. There was no need to take that risk."
The Power of Dreams!

chrisc90

Zynerji wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 06:25
ringo wrote:
Did it hurt the sport when 9 teams failed to challenge Mercedes during 5/6 years out of a 8 year dominance in the hybrid era?

mclaren111

chrisc90 wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 09:49
Zynerji wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 06:25
ringo wrote:
Did it hurt the sport when 9 teams failed to challenge Mercedes during 5/6 years out of a 8 year dominance in the hybrid era?
=D> =D>

mendis
mendis

ringo wrote:
That difference is deceiving as Lewis backed off massively in S3 and Max had 4th zone of DRS in that sector.

ValeVida46

mendis wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 11:36
That difference is deceiving as Lewis backed off massively in S3 and Max had 4th zone of DRS in that sector.

https://i.postimg.cc/25YvGN7p/aus-diff.png

https://preview.redd.it/5id0db53dir81.j ... 0478b4b9c6
That's still 1.6 seconds faster however you want to look at it.
Lewis couldn't come close to matching it behind or ahead of Verstappen at similar intervals.