2023 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola [Cancelled]

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
vorticism

Re: 2023 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, May 19 - 21

Sound like this might have been a good race for those FIA tire spray wheel covers.

LM10 wrote: ↑
16 May 2023, 17:39
However, if the health of thousands of fans is in danger, it's the organizer's responsibility to decide whether the action must go on or not.
In danger from rain? It's May in Italy. Springtime. I would hope most people have some idea of what regularly occurs in springtime.
Last edited by vorticism on 16 May 2023, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
π“„€

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

AR3-GP wrote: ↑
16 May 2023, 17:32
16 May 2023, 17:20

There is flood not only around the track, but even at the track. The heavy rain will remain at least until tomorrow. The region has had massive rain with flood about 2 weeks ago, so there is just little soaking capacity left which leads to even faster and heavier flooding.

The problem would be the travelling and accomodation of thousands of fans rather than the possibility of light rain and on-track-action.
Im not an oracle, but I suspect the circuit will be fine by Friday. If they have to cancel Friday due to delays in the equipment transport, then I'm sure they'll be able to figure out a revised schedule for Saturday and Sunday, unless the circuit is destroyed by the floods.

Everyone still needs to recoup the cost towards the event that have already been spent by teams, the circuit, and FOM so unless the circuit is washed away, I suspect they will run it. Some mud is not going to stop fans on Saturday or Sunday.
The thing is that it's not just some mud, unfortunately. I'm fairly confident that the circuit would be fine and that the F1 staff would find a way around. However, if the health of thousands of fans is in danger, it's the organizer's responsibility to decide whether the action must go on or not.
Unless the grandstands are at risk of collapsing due to soggy soil (although you would like to think the grand stands are built upon concrete piles which have been driven deep below the ground), I don't see the issue?

The circuit isn't going to turn ticket holders away without a pretty convincing reason.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

16 May 2023, 17:03
I don't think they'll call off the GP. We are still some days away.
There is flood not only around the track, but even at the track. The heavy rain will remain at least until tomorrow. The region has had massive rain with flood about 2 weeks ago, so there is just little soaking capacity left which leads to even faster and heavier flooding.

The problem would be the travelling and accomodation of thousands of fans rather than the possibility of light rain and on-track-action.
Im not an oracle, but I suspect the circuit will be fine by Friday. If they have to cancel Friday due to delays in the equipment transport, then I'm sure they'll be able to figure out a revised schedule for Saturday and Sunday, unless the circuit is destroyed by the floods.

Everyone still needs to recoup the cost towards the event that have already been spent by teams, the circuit, and FOM so unless the circuit is washed away, I suspect they will run it. Some mud is not going to stop fans on Saturday or Sunday.
The FIA may not get the final say on the issue. The civil authorities could very easily say "you're not having a race" and close the circuit.

The river is currently in spate. There is a more rain expected in the hills that drain in to the River Santerno over the next few days. If the levels in the river don't drop, they won't be racing.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

16 May 2023, 17:41

The thing is that it's not just some mud, unfortunately. I'm fairly confident that the circuit would be fine and that the F1 staff would find a way around. However, if the health of thousands of fans is in danger, it's the organizer's responsibility to decide whether the action must go on or not.
Unless the grandstands are at risk of collapsing due to soggy soil (although you would like to think the grand stands are built upon concrete piles which have been driven deep below the ground), I don't see the issue?

The circuit isn't going to turn ticket holders away without a pretty convincing reason.
A pretty convincing reason is "liability". If the circuit's insurers say "we won't pay out on any public liability claims" then the circuit won't open its gates.
Last edited by Just_a_fan on 16 May 2023, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Just_a_fan wrote: ↑
16 May 2023, 19:46

The FIA may not get the final say on the issue. The civil authorities could very easily say "you're not having a race" and close the circuit.

The river is currently in spate. There is a more rain expected in the hills that drain in to the River Santerno over the next few days. If the levels in the river don't drop, they won't be racing.
The race isn't scheduled until Sunday.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

16 May 2023, 19:49

The river drains several tens of square kilometres of hills on the border between Emilia-Romagna and Tuscany. Rain is falling on those hills and is forecast to continue falling in varying amounts for the next few days with a brief respite on Thursday. Water courses have a time lag - it takes time for the levels to rise after the rain starts, and it takes time for the levels to drop after the rain ends.

The circuit is currently evacuated. If the levels don't drop appreciably, is it likely that someone will suddenly say "oh, you know what, don't worry, it'll be fine. What's the worst that can happen lads?"?

Zynerji

16 May 2023, 19:53

The river drains several tens of square kilometres of hills on the border between Emilia-Romagna and Tuscany. Rain is falling on those hills and is forecast to continue falling in varying amounts for the next few days with a brief respite on Thursday. Water courses have a time lag - it takes time for the levels to rise after the rain starts, and it takes time for the levels to drop after the rain ends.

The circuit is currently evacuated. If the levels don't drop appreciably, is it likely that someone will suddenly say "oh, you know what, don't worry, it'll be fine. What's the worst that can happen lads?"?
Jet-skis?

chrisc90

Zynerji wrote: ↑
16 May 2023, 20:18

Jet-skis?
Need no fear! Verstappen already on the case!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Zynerji wrote: ↑
16 May 2023, 20:18

Jet-skis?
I'd prefer jet boats. They're more like F1 cars in their performance than any jet ski ever was. 8)

vorticism

Wouter wrote: ↑
16 May 2023, 17:12
Imola F1 paddock evacuated ahead of flood threat

Teams and Formula 1 personnel were instructed to evacuate the Imola paddock on Tuesday afternoon amid a threat of flooding from the adjacent Santerno river.

By:
Adam Cooper
May 16, 2023, 4:39 PM

*removed political nonsense - Mod edit*
Last edited by CMSMJ1 on 17 May 2023, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed political nonsense
π“„€

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I see no reason to be pessimistic

Wouter

Weather Online

4 hours ago
Italy is currently preparing for severe storms. The civil defense issued a highest warning level for floods and landslides for the Emilia-Romagna region. By Wednesday there will be 100 to 150 liters of rain per square meter, in places even more than 200 liters are possible. The first pictures from the region already give an idea of how things will continue in the next few hours.
The Power of Dreams!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

16 May 2023, 21:37

I see no reason to be pessimistic
Not pessimistic, just realistic. If the race goes ahead then great, but I wouldn't be placing any bets on it.

organic

It sounds like the race could be cancelled if rain continues to fall.

The problem that worries the authorities is that the river could overflow. Tonight will be key. Tomorrow there will be minimal movements on the circuit and in the Imola area, as a precaution.
If this occurs, Monaco would have to be the race where AMR/Merc will be debuting new components, which of course wouldn't be the ideal track to evaluate new floors etc

Mogster

The DTN forecast seems to have the worst of the rain pushing through by 12:00 Wednesday.