2023 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, June 02 - 04

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
AMG.Tzan

Re: 2023 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, June 02 - 04

It’s funny how they changed the track 15-20 years ago tightening T10 and creating a chicane before the last corner just to end back to the original layout with the wider T10 and without the chicane…

I always loved the original layout specially when Motogp races there! The cars will be around 7-8 seconds faster according to twitter 😂
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

AMG.Tzan wrote:
30 May 2023, 21:32
It’s funny how they changed the track 15-20 years ago tightening T10 and creating a chicane before the last corner just to end back to the original layout with the wider T10 and without the chicane…

I always loved the original layout specially when Motogp races there! The cars will be around 7-8 seconds faster according to twitter 😂
I guess back then the answer to improving safety was changes to the track to make it slower. Today, the cars are inherently safer - Halo et al, of course - that they probably feel they lose nothing from safety but get to make the show better. The cars will be fast in the last two corners so they should look great. The question is whether the removal of the last chicane will make the racing worse - Barcelona has never normally been a thriller of race so there isn't much scope on that front.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

AMG.Tzan

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 May 2023, 22:53
AMG.Tzan wrote:
30 May 2023, 21:32

I guess back then the answer to improving safety was changes to the track to make it slower. Today, the cars are inherently safer - Halo et al, of course - that they probably feel they lose nothing from safety but get to make the show better. The cars will be fast in the last two corners so they should look great. The question is whether the removal of the last chicane will make the racing worse - Barcelona has never normally been a thriller of race so there isn't much scope on that front.
I thought the changes were made to improve racing back then…these last two corners had so much run off still back early 2000s that didn’t provide much of a risk for f1! Yet it was more of a safety issue with MotoGP and Luis Salom’s death there!

I get the feeling the last two corners will make it easier to pass on the straight as you’ll be able use a bit of slipstream before entering the main straight!

The last section was so tight and so traction dependent that the only way to gain through there was by having much better tires! Now that’ll change and drivers will be able to keep up through the last two corners before entering the main straights!

I expect the DRS zone to be shortened too…

AMG.Tzan

Are we having a two day Pirelli tire test starting tomorrow at Barcelona???

Sieper

Maybe, as these cars have loads of DF as speed due to the groundeffect, they can now use the high speed (closer following too) to close in and then make an overtake attempt into turn 1. I think that is the idea. As Barcelona was neigh on impossible to overtake on. With these new cars it might be better.

organic

AMG.Tzan wrote:
31 May 2023, 01:03
No it's Monday/Tuesday after Barcelona; Ferrari/Merc are the ones testing with Pirelli 2024 tyres

Evo2racer
Evo2racer

organic wrote:
31 May 2023, 01:06
AMG.Tzan wrote:
No it's Monday/Tuesday after Barcelona; Ferrari/Merc are the ones testing with Pirelli 2024 tyres
It’s not open to the public correct ? It’s a private test I am assuming

organic

Evo2racer wrote:
31 May 2023, 01:13
organic wrote:
31 May 2023, 01:06
AMG.Tzan wrote:
It’s not open to the public correct ? It’s a private test I am assuming
I would imagine it would be private yes

michl420
michl420

I think the fast last corner will help overtaking. The drivers will feel the G-forces. :twisted:

Juzh

Last corner flatout? I think it's possible.

I think racing can't be worse than what we had with chicane. At worst it will be similar, and at best it will be slightly better. Two factors are play: you enter main straight with higher speed in 2023 and thus hit your drag ceiling sooner, effectively making DRS for car behind more powerful, however you are also covering entire straight faster thus reducing time spent under DRS. In any case I think it can't be worse than what it was.

SiLo

I've always wondered if Campsa can be smoothed heavily and extended on the outside to use the extra piece of track there so that cars can follow closer into T10.
Felipe Baby!

Sevach
Sevach

Juzh wrote:
31 May 2023, 11:38
Last corner flatout? I think it's possible.

I think racing can't be worse than what we had with chicane. At worst it will be similar, and at best it will be slightly better. Two factors are play: you enter main straight with higher speed in 2023 and thus hit your drag ceiling sooner, effectively making DRS for car behind more powerful, however you are also covering entire straight faster thus reducing time spent under DRS. In any case I think it can't be worse than what it was.
That chicane was so tight and slow that the car in front could comfortably kill the speed, mess with the following car entry into the chicane and accelerate at his leisure, if his rear tires where still ok he would open a gap big that the following car wouldn't be able to close.
They made something that greatly diminished the aero problem of following yet went all the way into bad for racing for old school reasons.

PlatinumZealot

RedBull should win again quite easily so I'm keen to watch the best of the rest battle bewteen the Ferrari, AMR and Merc
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

organic

PlatinumZealot wrote:
31 May 2023, 14:51
RedBull should win again quite easily so I'm keen to watch the best of the rest battle bewteen the Ferrari, AMR and Merc
No alpine? :P :lol: :lol:

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

organic wrote:
31 May 2023, 14:55
No alpine? :P :lol: :lol:

That is a beautifully bold claim, I have to admit, the confidence is exciting. :mrgreen: