2023 Canadian Grand Prix - Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve - June 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Bill
Bill

Re: 2023 Canadian Grand Prix - Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve - June 16 - 18

redbull strength is the high speed corners and straight line speed ,others can match them in slow and medium speed corners

ispano6

Alex Albon earned Driver of the Day at the Canada GP and I think that was well deserved even though he did drive with an updated package. He was sure to have more podiums with Red Bull, at least two, though was knocked out unceremoniously by Hamilton TWICE. He was also fast tracked to Red Bull and put in a car that was peaky if not flawed. Though he's had some brilliant drives in the STR and some gutsy overtakes in the Red Bull as well. Albon's road to F1 was full of hardships that had to be overcome and is very much deserved like George Russell has said many times.

I think it's fair to say any driver next to Max is going to be #2, that is a no-brainer. Once Checo's contract is over, another driver with several years of experience under his belt will join the team, hopefully a once Red Bull junior. That could be Albon, Tsunoda, Lawson(maybe a while still). If none are ready, perhaps we see Ricciardo get a race seat.

atanatizante

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

(I don`t know if this is the appropriate thread so mods feel free to move my post ...)

I gather some data regarding top speeds in Qualy and the race (lap 2 without DRS and after lap 70) in order to see the DRS efficiency that every car has, although this parameter works in conjunction with how slippery/draggy the car is ... so feel free to correct or add any necessary caveats ...

Top speeds after Q3:

We have to bear in mind that during the qualy it was more or less rain at the track, the last five drivers with the biggest delta set their top speed in Q1 (TSU, GAS, DEV, SAR and ZHO), and then the following 5 drivers (LEC, PER, STR, MAG, BOT) which set their top speed in Q2 ...

Every driver (bar VER) has some kind of a slipstream in lap 2 and we could see that the biggest delta (31) has VER who probably used the full deployment in order to disallow HAM DRS in lap 3 ... PER (25) maybe didn`t use the full deployment so this delta figure is more impressive ... then at 25 we could also see that SF23 (LEC) has made a big step forward and obviously ALB with maybe a little help from the new update ... at 24 is an impressive AMR23 in the hands of ALO and MCL60 with 24 and 25 ... Haas 23 (HUL) and W14 on the fifth place with 20 (HAM) ...

Finally the delta DRS between lap 2 and 70 of the race: (average from both drivers)
1.RB19, VF23 and probably FW45 - 27
2.SF23, AMR23, MCL - 26.5
3.W14 - 23.5
4.C43 - 23
5.A523, AT04 - 21

Yeah, I`m fully aware that some drivers benefited from the DRS train (see the last column) that`s why those above values are not so accurate ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

napoleon1981
napoleon1981

PlatinumZealot wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 09:12
napoleon1981 wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 05:04
There is some exaggeration going on here. Max got 4 consecutive wins. Lewis has done 5 wins atleast twice on separate occasions. Rosberg did 7. Perez is 9 points in front of alonso. Look at the dominant merc years. Both drivers were marching away. Thats the sign of a dominant car. We now have a dominant driver
My main point was Max in unchallenged so there is no fight for the win, much less to even lead him on a lap.

Result of Number 1 driver in dominant car in era of reliabilty.

In the Canadian race his engineer said something so damning... "Max those behind you are pushing harder than you are".... While Max was 10 seconds down the road complaining about heating the tyres..

Can't blame them, but it certainly dampened the race.
Thats F1. Sometimes a team and their driver do their work well and dominate. Its up to other to catch up. If you can't stand watching it, you are better off watching spec racing like Indy.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

mendis
mendis

napoleon1981
napoleon1981

I wonder how much time that bird in the brake duct was worth for verstappen.

cplchanb
cplchanb

napoleon1981 wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 15:47
I wonder how much time that bird in the brake duct was worth for verstappen.
they said not much.. they had trouble getting tyre temps to work and had no brake temp issues.

TimW
TimW

Spoutnik wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 14:35

Ferrari did a 1 stop, the others a 2 stop. So the ferrari 2nd stint was later in the race and on much lower fuel than the others, not comparable at all.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Juzh wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 00:43
Anyway, I looked at full alonso's onboard and it's very possible without the lift & coast he'd right up there with verstappen. He was doing it from like lap ~25 and it really did cost him quite some time, also with his driving, as he was very much more error prone in a few corners before and after (saying error, but actually just sub-optimal). Apart from T9 excursion, T10 was particularly not optimal from there on after. While chasing Hamilton without LC he was hitting the apex more or less every time even in dirty air. After he overtook him and started LC it was a rarity to see him do an optimal apex. T13 was also causing some troubles. Add to that extra time lost with the coast and you can see how gaps in pace can quickly emerge.
I saw that as well, I think the car like Krack said is not optimized yet, for example he had quite a bit of oversteer with the Mediums and due to the phantom issue he had to put the braking bias multiple clicks forward, so the driving was more erratic than other races, not nailing the corners consistently. At least that means a little bit more pace if they get it right for Austria. After all instead of the maximum of 3 free practice sessions it was just 1 really, due to rain and red flags and CCTV and everything.

Wouter

KimiRai wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 16:55
Juzh wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 00:43
Anyway, I looked at full alonso's onboard and it's very possible without the lift & coast he'd right up there with verstappen. He was doing it from like lap ~25 and it really did cost him quite some time, also with his driving, as he was very much more error prone in a few corners before and after (saying error, but actually just sub-optimal). Apart from T9 excursion, T10 was particularly not optimal from there on after. While chasing Hamilton without LC he was hitting the apex more or less every time even in dirty air. After he overtook him and started LC it was a rarity to see him do an optimal apex. T13 was also causing some troubles. Add to that extra time lost with the coast and you can see how gaps in pace can quickly emerge.
I saw that as well, I think the car like Krack said is not optimized yet, for example he had quite a bit of oversteer with the Mediums and due to the phantom issue he had to put the braking bias multiple clicks forward, so the driving was more erratic than other races, not nailing the corners consistently. At least that means a little bit more pace if they get it right for Austria. After all instead of the maximum of 3 free practice sessions it was just 1 really, due to rain and red flags and CCTV and everything.
In Austria there will be again just one FP.
The Power of Dreams!

KimiRai
KimiRai

Wouter wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 17:04
In Austria there will be again just one FP.
Sure, but it's more data to compare across races.

Sieper

Juzh wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 10:10
Sieper wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 00:51
But why was he doing that? If the option to not do it is not on the table the deficit is still real. Cars performance is the sum of all parts. Plus, redbull didn’t have the ideal set-up on a track that doesn’t suit them especially well. On others the gap will be bigger imho.
Well apparently it was a phantom issue, not something they intended to do
https://www.racefans.net/2023/06/19/alo ... terialise/
this could very well mean alonso ended with too much fuel in the end, causing more slowdown

RBs problems on this track were fundamental to the car, not anything in particular to do with setup. Gap could and probably will be bigger in next races, but on this past sunday alonso could be very close without that problem, as I said.
Yes, completely agree, without issues Alo could have been very close then. Especially if the start would have went better for him. Max had a very good launch fortunately (if you like to see him win).

On this track the redbull can’t be set-up better. It’s ability to be ran low to the ground is not compatible with these kerbs. Especially with just one real FP session.

mendis
mendis

Why has Alonso started losing position at the start? Something to do the car? He was a master of gaining positions at the start. Past weekend, the race could have been very different had he retained his position.

Big Tea

mendis wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 18:49
Why has Alonso started losing position at the start? Something to do the car? He was a master of gaining positions at the start. Past weekend, the race could have been very different had he retained his position.
It is harder to hold position amongst frontrunners than with mid field, especially if the cars are closer in performance.
Alonso has a 'knack' of getting passed cars held up and wrong footing them, and that does not happen so muvh on the first couple of rows as there are fewer cars infront of those he needs to pas and less blocking (unintentional blocking that is)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.