2023 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 30 - July 02

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
JordanMugen

Re: 2023 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 30 - July 02

Sieper wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 19:59
Sort of fair play to them. But also not.
It has to be fair play to them. Why the heck didn't Sainz stay within the lines?! It's silly not to. Alonso stayed within the lines and rightly got the benefit of doing so. :D

Chuckjr

Great job Max. Well done RB team. What a car. Take a bow Adrian...the entire grid is integrating your mind. Mimicry is the highest compliment.

Good to see Ferrari getting to grips with their car. Well done Maranello.

McLaren. Wow. Absolutely flabbergasted. Well done to the entire McLaren team and what a testimony to Lando’s talent. The moment the car gets better, he sticks it at the sharp end of the grid. Nice nice job. Hope they can keep their place with AMR and Merc. That would be fantastic to have Norris in there week in and week out. Just outstanding job from McLaren. They actually were faster than Merc and AMR on merit. I don’t care if they drop a little in Silverstone. To come to Austria and literally move to third best is absolutely incredible.
Thinking for Silverstone...🤔
RB
Ferrari
AMR
Macca
Merc

I think AMR will bring some speed to Silverstone. Looking forward to watching a Merc, Macca, AMR three way on Sunday. Yeeeeessss.

Croft is horrendous. Just cringe horrendous. He’s like listening to a spastic, overambitious child trying to get attention or be funny. I can’t believe an institution like F1 uses that guy as their front man play by play guy. What is happening. Just horrendous! Where’s Bob Varsha? Heck at least David Hobbs made me laugh with his cornball terms like “klagg” and “very large attachments” 😂😂🤣.

F1 theme music leaves much to be desired. MotoGP has far, far better theme music and I’d wager Moto GP has a slightly smaller budget...

I agree with the guy who said the McLaren team light blue helmets look goofy. They should use chrome like the old days. I wish they would use papaya and the liquid deep blue as an accent colors with chrome and black as background colors. The overuse of the papaya and light blue compromises the ability for the team look aggressive. Some of the designs I’ve seen in the forums here in the past have been amazing. Can’t believe Macca doesn’t use the guys from these forums.

I agree with the idea of the modular 1-2 meter wide track limit idea. Dense, golf green grass or gravel for the cars, concrete for the bikes. It’s easy, simple, inexpensive, consistent, fair, and highly effective.

Arizona stadium in the USA uses a modular grass field and their field grass is always lush and green and perfect on game day. The stadium is indoors and the field is grown and maintained outdoors and moved indoors on game day.

Modular curbing would also allow testing of different types of gravel and penalty surfaces, and as technology improves so do the corners at every track. Tracks then are never technologically inferior between each other, and the grandfathered stuff like Suzuka and Silverstone or walls like Canada and Monaco could stay. FIA could even mandate modular curb edging at appropriate tracks with a very reasonable cost integration. Then, many of the tracks would be consistent with each other. Helicopter shots of tracks would be consistent like football fields or tennis. I think this would improve the racing and accuracy of the drivers immensely. And, it removes opinion and delay from the equation while ensuring equal justice and safety.
Watching F1 since 1986.

DDopey
DDopey

Big Tea wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 01:39
I still find it strange drivers can avoid a wall but not a paint mark.
It is what they said, visibility, a wall is quite visible, even at that speed.

I actually read somewhere FIA thought about adding texture/roughness to the white line but there was not enough time. So drivers could feel it.

maxxer
maxxer

Chuckjr wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 06:43
Croft is horrendous. Just cringe horrendous. He’s like listening to a spastic, overambitious child trying to get attention or be funny. I can’t believe an institution like F1 uses that guy as their front man play by play guy. What is happening. Just horrendous! Where’s Bob Varsha? Heck at least David Hobbs made me laugh with his cornball terms like “klagg” and “very large attachments” 😂😂🤣.
To be honest i watch f1 tv and the commentary there is shockingly bad also at times same as with sky.
Every 5 minutes you get some silly comment like "If you are new to formula 1 a car needs 4 wheels and an engine".
There is no other game in the world i watch where they keep reminding people who are new to the sport how it works.

I agree with the guy who said the McLaren team light blue helmets look goofy. They should use chrome like the old days. I wish they would use papaya and the liquid deep blue as an accent colors with chrome and black as background colors. The overuse of the papaya and light blue compromises the ability for the team look aggressive. Some of the designs I’ve seen in the forums here in the past have been amazing. Can’t believe Macca doesn’t use the guys from these forums.
So you will like the silverstone livery they just revealed then :)
I agree with the idea of the modular 1-2 meter wide track limit idea. Dense, golf green grass or gravel for the cars, concrete for the bikes. It’s easy, simple, inexpensive, consistent, fair, and highly effective.

Arizona stadium in the USA uses a modular grass field and their field grass is always lush and green and perfect on game day. The stadium is indoors and the field is grown and maintained outdoors and moved indoors on game day.

Modular curbing would also allow testing of different types of gravel and penalty surfaces, and as technology improves so do the corners at every track. Tracks then are never technologically inferior between each other, and the grandfathered stuff like Suzuka and Silverstone or walls like Canada and Monaco could stay. FIA could even mandate modular curb edging at appropriate tracks with a very reasonable cost integration. Then, many of the tracks would be consistent with each other. Helicopter shots of tracks would be consistent like football fields or tennis. I think this would improve the racing and accuracy of the drivers immensely. And, it removes opinion and delay from the equation while ensuring equal justice and safety.
Just as they can make them on the high way rumbling lines

basti313
basti313

JordanMugen wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 04:56
Sieper wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 19:59
Sort of fair play to them. But also not.
It has to be fair play to them. Why the heck didn't Sainz stay within the lines?! It's silly not to. Alonso stayed within the lines and rightly got the benefit of doing so. :D
Yes, absolutely.
There were two types of infringements:
- The smart ones, example Hamilton in the first stint kept Lando behind just by exceeding lap after lap.
- The stupid ones...in the last stint most drivers that received their penalties in the end were in absolute No-mans-land. Nothing to win ahead and nothing to loose behind. No need to go over the lines.
Chuckjr wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 06:43
You are missing, this is an European track.
Everything is too expensive, they even do spare the paint. Every other track in the US or Middle east gets a repaint for every F1 race...in Europe they clean the track and correct the paint where it is lifting off.
Having a modular strip is just ridiculously expensive. You need to see that most AstroTurf is gone as it does not withstand long enough. Even redoing the tracks like in France with the blue slippery paint and red grip paint is too expensive...
In Europe you have one big redo on each circuit for which you win the sponsors and investors. After this nothing happens for a long time. They do not even change the kerbs if not absolutely needed, this is why we only see some sausage kerb appearing or disappearing. A good example is the sausage in Austria at T1...it is completely worn down, they repaint it before the events and once a car hits it the whole paint is gone as it is in bad shape. Needs to be replaced...but this can not be done.
Don`t russel the hamster!

dans79

maxxer wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 09:13
To be honest i watch f1 tv and the commentary there is shockingly bad also at times same as with sky.
Every 5 minutes you get some silly comment like "If you are new to formula 1 a car needs 4 wheels and an engine".
There is no other game in the world i watch where they keep reminding people who are new to the sport how it works.
It is shocking how much they cater to the lowest of the low. In baseball they literally say nothing 99% of the time, you are expected to know.
197 104 103 7

Chuckjr

dans79 wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 17:08
maxxer wrote:
It is shocking how much they cater to the lowest of the low. In baseball they literally say nothing 99% of the time, you are expected to know.
That’s definitely it, Dan. You nailed it.

The way the race is called, they treat the audience like they’ve no idea of any part of the sport—it’s like they feel they must reiterate the regs or rules or technology constantly because nobody knows anything. They take a dumbed down position, and it detracts from the event.

They also use 💩 reporters like Ted Kravits (goofy, overreactive tool), Naomi Schiff (F1 is WAY over her head), and Damon Hill (expired, over-ambitious has-been that’s irrelevant to F1), who are incompetent to sport like former reporter David Hobbs, and who have no touch with the audience. They need to cut the fat from the team and use just a few very competent people like they do on NFL games. Danica Patrick, Jensen Button, Simon Lazenby, Paul DeResta, were/are all good options off the top of my head. Just a couple people in the booth and a couple people on the track is all they need.

Yes I understand this is all subjective. Just offering some opinion, that’s all.
Watching F1 since 1986.

maxxer
maxxer

dans79 wrote:
maxxer wrote:
Back in the 90's i used to watch or record free practice on fridays , there was only commentary when something happened. That was 4 hours of free practice on one day.
When i watch it now with commentary after one hour i have a headache from the constant talking they do.
Every time a car leaves the pits the first thing they say they dont know how much fuel it carries.

bluechris

maxxer wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 22:04
dans79 wrote:
maxxer wrote:
Back in the 90's i used to watch or record free practice on fridays , there was only commentary when something happened. That was 4 hours of free practice on one day.
When i watch it now with commentary after one hour i have a headache from the constant talking they do.
Every time a car leaves the pits the first thing they say they dont know how much fuel it carries.
Just watch onboards m8 .. its the sole reason i pay F1TV for this, to see every driver on his own, driving. You hear only the car sound and the team speaking to the driver and vise versa.

Big Tea

maxxer wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 22:04
dans79 wrote:
maxxer wrote:

I have said before, but Crofty is from radio commentary and there dead air is seen as the biggest sin of all, probably because in the old days of an analogue dial tuner someone scanning cold completely miss the channel slot altogether.

He has probably carried this over with him as it was bashed into him as a youngster. He was overdone on the radio too though and has not backed off.
It is not needed now, but then again neither are much of the graphics, it will take a long time to settle.
BTW, the treating lots of the audience as not knowing anything about F1 rules and procedures.

You may be surprised how many people really do not know the first thing. Not long back I was watching in a pub who had the sound off for horse racing on another screen and listened to a group on the next table. They were clueless, but still put bets on.

BTW an I the only one who thinks the input from someone who was a team strategist is hardly worth listening to?
I would prefer Karun's opinion he is usually closer.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

JordanMugen

maxxer wrote:
Is that not a pertinent rule? Until 1983 or so there was no limit on the number of wheels.

It seems relevant to draw the distinction between a Grand Prix motorcycle (which presumably may have a maximum of two wheels) and a Grand Prix car which may have three or more wheels.

As you can see the motorcar (with three or more wheels) and motorcycle (with two wheels) are distinct, hence developing two separate forms of Grand Prix to compete in. :)

Motor car, with three wheels or more, in this case three:

Motorcycle, with two wheels:

Fun fact: tyres like on the above motorcycle were entirely white, using titanium dioxide, until carbon black became popular for the tread leaving only white sidewalls, then later no white section at all.

vorticism

Okay, gonna need titanium dioxide Pirellis to match the Japan spec livery. :)

maxxer wrote:

:lol: The Liburdee™ market push is heavy handed at times.
𓄀

chrisc90

That white RB livery is simply beautiful. One of the best ive seen.

organic

That solves that

Tobi Grüner [tgruener]
We also got confirmation that the Red Bull Ring will be fitted with new gravel traps on the outside of T9 and T10 to avoid any more track limits drama. FIA had contacted MotoGP to ask if there are any concerns. But they are okay with it

Big Tea

I hope the other tracks keep up the ruling, at least as far as giving warnings.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.