Red Bull Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
vvillium3
vvillium3

Re: Red Bull Power Unit Hardware & Software

Looks like quite a chunky motor and a complex front oil routing. However it makes sense if it's the first prototype build. I'm sure it's drastically changed since the first round of testing. Can't wait to see how the actual motor in 2026 looks and performs.

lio007

Not too informative, just that they still have a lot to do. (Although this is not a surprise with 2 years left until the next generation PU's are going racing):

Bill
Bill

AR3-GP wrote:
12 Nov 2023, 17:01
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red- ... /10545397/
“At the moment we don't want this season to stop,” he said. “But 2026, it's the next chapter for us, and it's taking control of the one bit of variable that we've had.

“I don't think people perhaps comprehend the scale of the challenge that we've taken on for 2026. But the way the team is attacking it is exactly the same way that we have with the chassis.

“We've got two years which seems like a long way away, but we've pretty much got 100 weeks now to when we're rolling down the pitlane with a Red Bull-designed and manufactured engine in the back of the car. So that's nerve wracking and exciting all at once.

“But we're on a good trajectory. We have got some great people involved, and we have got a great culture. We're looking forward, and I'm looking forward, to it.”
2026 pu are spec engine.the only challenge are the batteries and electronics

FW17

Bill wrote:
15 Jan 2024, 10:09

2026 pu are spec engine.the only challenge are the batteries and electronics

Hopefully they will have vast amounts of R&D, patents and data on batteries, MGU and power electronics from Ford, ford funded university research in US and ford suppliers.

It would be first time that US would be contributing significantly to an engine programme in quiet some time.

chrisc90

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

CHT
CHT

How is Ford involve in this project? As sponsor or technology partners?

lio007

CHT wrote:
17 Apr 2024, 03:33
How is Ford involve in this project? As sponsor or technology partners?
AFAIR battery tech and software.

ME4ME

I've been wondering if i've missed something, but even after searching and reading my question remains; Where do the rumours regarding the RBPT being behind come from? Or who is spreading that rumour? Is it the usual Peter Windsor, Jonny Herbert kind of nonsense speculation?

I have seen nothing, other than Motorsport.com hinting at rumours behind the scenes as an introduction to an article with some quotes from Verstappen and Horner.

Is there actually any more to it than anonymous people figuring that the challenge is too great for RBPT?
(or worse, using the media to destabilize Red Bull)

Cs98
Cs98

ME4ME wrote:
28 Apr 2024, 11:34
I've been wondering if i've missed something, but even after searching and reading my question remains; Where do the rumours regarding the RBPT being behind come from? Or who is spreading that rumour? Is it the usual Peter Windsor, Jonny Herbert kind of nonsense speculation?

I have seen nothing, other than Motorsport.com hinting at rumours behind the scenes as an introduction to an article with some quotes from Verstappen and Horner.

Is there actually any more to it than anonymous people figuring that the challenge is too great for RBPT?
AFAIK there is not a single quote from anyone within RB or anyone claiming to have inside information from RB to substantiate such a rumour. It's mostly people making assumptions based on 2014, and people making assumptions that because Horner/Verstappen raised concerns about the entertainment value of the 2026 engine regulations it means they are behind on development. As far as actual quotes, all we've got so far is snippets from Marko and Horner. Basically the message has been that development is on target. I think Marko asserted some time last year they were second in development behind Merc, all based on rumoured performance numbers of course.

Overall I don't think we'll see huge performance differences for 2026 engines, it's not as complex a rule change as 2014 and everyone knows they have to start on time this go around. I'm sure there will be a straggler, but I doubt it will be RBPT, more likely Audi IMO given they were late to the party.

TNTHead

Cs98 wrote:
28 Apr 2024, 13:30
ME4ME wrote:

AFAIK there is not a single quote from anyone within RB or anyone claiming to have inside information from RB to substantiate such a rumour. It's mostly people making assumptions based on 2014, and people making assumptions that because Horner/Verstappen raised concerns about the entertainment value of the 2026 engine regulations it means they are behind on development. As far as actual quotes, all we've got so far is snippets from Marko and Horner. Basically the message has been that development is on target. I think Marko asserted some time last year they were second in development behind Merc, all based on rumoured performance numbers of course.

Overall I don't think we'll see huge performance differences for 2026 engines, it's not as complex a rule change as 2014 and everyone knows they have to start on time this go around. I'm sure there will be a straggler, but I doubt it will be RBPT, more likely Audi IMO given they were late to the party.
Is it possible for RBPT to use parts of the design of the Honda ICE? Of not they are quite in the same boat as Audi, isn't it, only to have a bit more time?

Watto
Watto

TNTHead wrote:
28 Apr 2024, 14:56
Cs98 wrote:
ME4ME wrote:

Is it possible for RBPT to use parts of the design of the Honda ICE? Of not they are quite in the same boat as Audi, isn't it, only to have a bit more time?
I don’t believe their agreement with Honda allows that I wonder though if they have any Honda engineers , they did have quite a few from Mercedes

Cs98
Cs98

TNTHead wrote:
Cs98 wrote:
ME4ME wrote:

They don't have any access to Honda IP. Any transfer of tech from other manufacturers would have to come via the brains of poached employees, of which RBPT have many.

FW17

Watto wrote:
28 Apr 2024, 16:51
TNTHead wrote:
Cs98 wrote:

I don’t believe their agreement with Honda allows that I wonder though if they have any Honda engineers , they did have quite a few from Mercedes
But they for sure will have all data on the running parameters of the engine. so they will have some idea of what the engine has to output if run at 100kg/hr fuel flow

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

All of those that undertook to start on the new for 2026 power unit and that includes the previous power unit manufacturers, would have started with a blank sheet of paper, meaning new calculations/experimentations and a new start in validating their calculations. There is only one advantage in starting on this new power unit project for 2026 as regards 'ICE combustion' and the electrical side of the new for 2026 power unit, and that is 'previous experience'.