2023 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 07 - 09

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
chrisc90

Re: 2023 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 07 - 09

Mchamilton wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 17:49
chrisc90 wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 17:47
Piastri deserved that last spot on the podium really.
Well SC are part of it so it is what it is.
It is. Even pitting outside the SC he did well to get 4th. Cracking race. Shame he never got the reward he deserved. The podium.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Mad props to Lando and Mclaren. Their progress through this year has been the most impressive. They've basically done what Aston Martin did in the off season.

AMG.Tzan

Interesting race…

Don’t know if it was the temps or some other external factor but mclaren looked genuinely close to Red Bull! Even after the first stint Max was “only” 9 seconds ahead and more interestingly after the SC restart only 3,5 secs ahead with a two step softer compound! Of course there was a lot of tire management going on there but still…

So Mclaren performing great both at Austria and Silverstone looks quite promising for the rest of the season! Mercedes although quick they were back to their 2022 self with big amounts of drag keeping them away from doing any overtakes with DRS! I mean it was a bit embarrassing not being able to pass Lando at the end…

Ferrari as always making great strategic decisions! Though Mclaren’s decision to put Hards at the end looked so silly it ended up being great after 3-4 laps of warming them up! Aston Martin again absolutely nowhere on a high speed circuit just like Barcelona! Hungary might suit them much better…

Hopefully this is the real picture of the pace between teams as with some more upgrades everyone can get closer to Red Bull and at least capitalize on an “unlucky” day (although I don’t see any of these on Verstapen’s side really)
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Unc1eM0nty

I did not expect Aston Martins advantage to disappear so quickly. I though the other teams would catch up but late season. Overtaken on pace by a Williams, who would have thought.

So how long will McLaren be the 2nd team ? We've seen the baton passed a few times now.

The titles may be over but this battle is fascinating

chrisc90

The battle for 2nd is actually immense. Last 2-3 races the season has come alive.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

AMG.Tzan wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 17:57
Interesting race…

Don’t know if it was the temps or some other external factor but mclaren looked genuinely close to Red Bull! Even after the first stint Max was “only” 9 seconds ahead and more interestingly after the SC restart only 3,5 secs ahead with a two step softer compound! Of course there was a lot of tire management going on there but still…

So Mclaren performing great both at Austria and Silverstone looks quite promising for the rest of the season! Mercedes although quick they were back to their 2022 self with big amounts of drag keeping them away from doing any overtakes with DRS! I mean it was a bit embarrassing not being able to pass Lando at the end…

Ferrari as always making great strategic decisions! Though Mclaren’s decision to put Hards at the end looked so silly it ended up being great after 3-4 laps of warming them up! Aston Martin again absolutely nowhere on a high speed circuit just like Barcelona! Hungary might suit them much better…

Hopefully this is the real picture of the pace between teams as with some more upgrades everyone can get closer to Red Bull and at least capitalize on an “unlucky” day (although I don’t see any of these on Verstapen’s side really)
Merc needs to fix their DRS. Reportedly they are only getting a 14kph advantage on this track whereas Redbull was getting 24kph and even Mclaren getting 20kph. I suspect it's one of the major reasons they are so slow in qualifying and also the reason they can't overtake anyone. But in non DRS conditions they are ok dragwise.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

- Ferrari dreadful again. Pitting Leclerc too early, while he was keeping Russell behind. He was on harder tyres but he pitted before Russell ? Ferrari wasn't much slower than Merc today. They had straight line speed to keep at least one of the behind wit hthe right strategy. P9-P10...
- Verstappen no comment, easy race but its like Merc at the end of 2020 you win by less margin cause you are not putting it into the right window
- McLaren, wonderful in the high speed section. Piastri impressive really, Ricciardo couldn't do it.
- Mercedes, like most of the races last year luck/drivers make the car looks good. It's an issue cause in Brazil it made them believe they could make this concept work. They haven't solved the drag issue imo.. Russell couldn't pass the Ferrari even if he was a bit faster, Hamilton couldn't keep up with Norris on the inside going to Copse despite running less ground by being on the inside... The data showed it too
- Idk what happened to AM really

organic

Hammerfist wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 18:13
AMG.Tzan wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 17:57
Interesting race…

Merc needs to fix their DRS. Reportedly they are only getting a 14kph advantage on this track whereas Redbull was getting 24kph and even Mclaren getting 20kph. I suspect it's one of the major reasons they are so slow in qualifying and also the reason they can't overtake anyone. But in non DRS conditions they are ok dragwise.
They have a smaller Drs flap and larger main plane than most teams. As was pointed out by myself & Vanja when they debuted this wing, its DRS efficiency will therefore be low and they could struggle more in qualifying. This is because with DRS open you have more frontal area than a design like RB/Ferrari. It benefits you slightly on the straights where DRS isnt possible. They knew the compromise they were making when they made the win

Ferrari started 2022 with a bunch of wings like Mercedes have now, and spent a bunch of their development budget replacing them with better, more rb-like designs. I've got no clue why Merc didn't learn from that

vorticism

organic wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 18:31

They have a smaller Drs flap and larger main plane than most teams. As was pointed out by myself & Vanja when they debuted this wing, its DRS efficiency will therefore be low and they could struggle more in qualifying. This is because with DRS open you have more frontal area than a design like RB/Ferrari. It benefits you slightly on the straights where DRS isnt possible. They knew the compromise they were making when they made the win

Ferrari started 2022 with a bunch of wings like Mercedes have now, and spent a bunch of their development budget replacing them with better, more rb-like designs. I've got no clue why Merc didn't learn from that
Evident here:
vorticism wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 14:51
Silverstone:
Sevach wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 19:05
McLaren just showed the best non-Red Bull race pace we've seen all season.
Which is incredible and at the same time pathetic for the traditional big teams, what a piss poor job they've done.
I guess we'll see if this will extend beyond Silverstone. I can't help but assume this must be a strong track for them and they've prepared well for it as a team and as drivers. I can't chalk it all up to recent aero uprgrades, although I can only speculate.
Last edited by vorticism on 09 Jul 2023, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.
𓄀

PlatinumZealot

Spoutnik wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 18:23
- Ferrari dreadful again. Pitting Leclerc too early, while he was keeping Russell behind. He was on harder tyres but he pitted before Russell ? Ferrari wasn't much slower than Merc today. They had straight line speed to keep at least one of the behind wit hthe right strategy. P9-P10...
- Verstappen no comment, easy race but its like Merc at the end of 2020 you win by less margin cause you are not putting it into the right window
- McLaren, wonderful in the high speed section. Piastri impressive really, Ricciardo couldn't do it.
- Mercedes, like most of the races last year luck/drivers make the car looks good. It's an issue cause in Brazil it made them believe they could make this concept work. They haven't solved the drag issue imo.. Russell couldn't pass the Ferrari even if he was a bit faster, Hamilton couldn't keep up with Norris on the inside going to Copse despite running less ground by being on the inside... The data showed it too
Ferrari definitely pulled the trigger too early. Perhaps Leclerc was asking for th early stop, but even then it was into traffic. Stupid decision when the car had decent pace.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Sevach
Sevach

McLaren just showed the best non-Red Bull race pace we've seen all season.
Which is incredible and at the same time pathetic for the traditional big teams, what a piss poor job they've done.

michl420
michl420

Mchamilton wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 17:46
Actually embarrassing being British n not hearing any cheers for Max.
To be quiet is ok for me, buhing would be embarrassing.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 18:43
Spoutnik wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 18:23
Ferrari definitely pulled the trigger too early. Perhaps Leclerc was asking for th early stop, but even then it was into traffic. Stupid decision when the car had decent pace.
In post race interview he said he doesn't want to comment the team decision, but he think they pitted too early because they virtually had no tyre deg on it (like their competitors)

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Zynerji wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 17:42
I'm thinking....

Lando to RBR, and Lewis comes home to McL to retire.👀👀👀
Lando would be mad to move to RBR, frankly.

Lewis is either at Merc or retired. I don't see why he'd go to McLaren nor why would want to replace a young gun with a veteran.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 19:32
Zynerji wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 17:42
I'm thinking....

Lando to RBR, and Lewis comes home to McL to retire.👀👀👀
Lando would be mad to move to RBR, frankly.

Lewis is either at Merc or retired. I don't see why he'd go to McLaren nor why would want to replace a young gun with a veteran.
Yeh, hi is not the driver for Mclaren now. Maybe a management job though
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.