Silly season 2024-2025

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
atanatizante

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

I wonder what`s the benefits and downsizes for a PER swap to Merc and SAI to Red Bull from both teams' perspective ... could someone help me with this one?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

dren

Cs98 wrote:
18 Apr 2024, 15:37
CaribouBread wrote:
18 Apr 2024, 15:16
dren wrote:
18 Apr 2024, 14:55
Merc will go with Antonelli unless he just absolutely botched his recent test with them. Albon isn't going anywhere. Sainz would flounder for years with Audi if/until they get their --- together, although he'd make good money. I think his best bet short term would be Red Bull if he wants an opportunity to win.
I feel the "lucrative" part of the Audi offer is not just money but contract length that Red Bull can't match. The romantic in me wants Sainz to go to Red Bull but somehow I feel Sainz will try to avoid very short duration contracts.
Going to Audi on a long term deal would likely relegate him to irrelevance for the best years of his career. If he has the opportunity to jump in a RB or a Merc for one or two years he should absolutely take it, it might be the only chance he has of winning a chip, however small the chance. He can opt for a long term deal afterwards with a lesser team, provided he doesn't fall off completely, which seems unlikely.
I have a feeling Audi will be there with open arms to Sainz for a few seasons if he doesn't immediately sign with them now.
Honda!

Jurgen von Diaz
Jurgen von Diaz

dren wrote:
Cs98 wrote:
CaribouBread wrote:
18 Apr 2024, 15:16
I feel the "lucrative" part of the Audi offer is not just money but contract length that Red Bull can't match. The romantic in me wants Sainz to go to Red Bull but somehow I feel Sainz will try to avoid very short duration contracts.
Going to Audi on a long term deal would likely relegate him to irrelevance for the best years of his career. If he has the opportunity to jump in a RB or a Merc for one or two years he should absolutely take it, it might be the only chance he has of winning a chip, however small the chance. He can opt for a long term deal afterwards with a lesser team, provided he doesn't fall off completely, which seems unlikely.
I have a feeling Audi will be there with open arms to Sainz for a few seasons if he doesn't immediately sign with them now.
There is always that risk that in two years Audi forgets Sainz if he gets beaten by Russell year after year...

RedNEO

Cs98
Cs98

DGP123 wrote:
18 Apr 2024, 15:57
Cs98 wrote:
Going to Audi on a long term deal would likely relegate him to irrelevance for the best years of his career
Sometimes that happens, and the sensible decision. Sometimes F1 doesn’t work out, the doors don’t open for you, and you can’t win a title. Therefore, you take the decision to secure your future, post F1. It’s what Danny Ric has done. The Renault & McLaren deals sorted him for life, but he became an irrelevant force in F1. He’s not the first, and won’t be the last to follow this journey.

If RB don’t offer Sainz anything, and with Mercedes going for Antonelli, then it’s a no brainer to accept the Audi deal.
Can't know that unless you step through the door. Carlos' future is already secure, he's spent 10 years in the sport, he's made a lot of money, he'll make a lot more whichever option he chooses. But realistically only one of those options leads to a real title shot, he should take it IMO, if he believes in his own ability. And it's not like he needs to outperform Verstappen to have a future at RB in the long term either.

Cs98
Cs98

atanatizante wrote:
18 Apr 2024, 16:18
I wonder what`s the benefits and downsizes for a PER swap to Merc and SAI to Red Bull from both teams' perspective ... could someone help me with this one?
Perez would never go to Merc over Antonelli.

dren

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
18 Apr 2024, 16:32
dren wrote:
Cs98 wrote:

There is always that risk that in two years Audi forgets Sainz if he gets beaten by Russell year after year...
Doubt that would happen if he goes to Mercedes and I don't think he would pick Mercedes as a short term option over Red Bull, assuming he has options from both.
Honda!

LHamilton
LHamilton

Sainz to Red Bull? If you are of the opinion that Sainz is a faster driver than, for instance Hulkenberg, why did he (Sainz) end up getting beaten by him (Hulk) in Renault? Well, according to Hulkenberg himself, Sainz struggled with the Renault due to it being oversteery. Similar thing could be seen when the Ferrari was oversteery. Leclerc were miles ahead and Sainz struggled massively. And he is going to a team and a car that has those characteristics, but to even a more extreme level? A level that Albon called 'eye-watering'. Seems like not a good idea. Similar to that of how Perez going to Red Bull was not a good idea because of the same reason. Maybe Sainz will do a little bit better than Perez, but hardly the optimal choice given the above. But he is the flavour of the month, so he gets the buzz. Similar to how Perez was the flavour of the month in 2020. People think more with their heart than their brain, unfortunately.

In regards to Mercedes seat.. thats just Antonellis regardless I would think. No one would want that seat just for one year, to be a stop gap for Antonelli. It would have to be if someone didnt manage to get a seat elsewhere at all, or for less than two years. Because with how many drivers that are out of contract this year, and with 2026 coming up, I would think most teams (and drivers) would like to get signed for at least two years, to get themselves stabilized going into the new regs. If you go to Mercedes for but a one year contract, you might be left out totally in 2026 because all the others seats will be filled with drivers having signed a minimum of two year contracts. Or you might find yourself with a limited amout of options. Probably suboptimal, lower end teams. So it would present a lot of risk to driver(s) that do. And if you are someone like Sainz; if you were given a one year contract at Mercedes or a 2+1 contract at Sauber/Audi, you would probably go for the latter one. For security and hoping that the 2026 regs falls in your favour. Because you might have a Mercedes drive for one year, but having to go to a team like Williams or the like. Whoever finished the 2025 season at the bottom, scratching their heads pondering if a move for another driver would see them rising in the constructors order.
Last edited by LHamilton on 19 Apr 2024, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

CHT
CHT

From the way Sainz talks about the possible options he has, I reckon he is just waiting for some drivers to be dropped by their team. Still hoping he will get a chance to drive alongside Alonso at AM.

"I think for sure all my best options are still open, and that is a positive thing and something that requires a bit of time given the situation in the market," Sainz told reporters. "It's going to take some time for everyone to make their own minds and their decisions, but the good options are still open.

"There hasn't been much progress over the last two weeks, so there isn't much to update you on. The sooner it gets to a point where everything develops the better, because at the same time it's not like it's affecting my performances at all this year, but it's better you take it out of your head and the earlier the better.

"It requires time and some decision making, so as I said last week, it's time to let that happen and see how things progress."

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/39 ... -available

CHT
CHT

So Nico is going to Sauber, and Bearman going to Haas?

Big Gun
Big Gun

CHT wrote:
19 Apr 2024, 00:37
From the way Sainz talks about the possible options he has, I reckon he is just waiting for some drivers to be dropped by their team. Still hoping he will get a chance to drive alongside Alonso at AM.

"I think for sure all my best options are still open, and that is a positive thing and something that requires a bit of time given the situation in the market," Sainz told reporters. "It's going to take some time for everyone to make their own minds and their decisions, but the good options are still open.

"There hasn't been much progress over the last two weeks, so there isn't much to update you on. The sooner it gets to a point where everything develops the better, because at the same time it's not like it's affecting my performances at all this year, but it's better you take it out of your head and the earlier the better.

"It requires time and some decision making, so as I said last week, it's time to let that happen and see how things progress."

I dont like his chances against Alonso, think he'd be better trying to top Russell over a season and force Merc to keep him. Alonso is a monster to try beat in the same team.....

CHT
CHT

Big Gun wrote:
19 Apr 2024, 16:22
CHT wrote:
19 Apr 2024, 00:37

I dont like his chances against Alonso, think he'd be better trying to top Russell over a season and force Merc to keep him. Alonso is a monster to try beat in the same team.....
AM still have to think of their team's future beyond Alonso (give or take another 2 years) unless they have reason to believe Stroll can become a WDC. Putting a stronger driver along side Alonso is good for the team's future.

chrisc90

franbatista123

I still think Stroll is probably on a knife's edge and Sainz is waiting to see if he is dropped to go to Aston. Barring another Perez collapse during the season, Sainz will go to either Aston Martin or Audi.

DChemTech
DChemTech

franbatista123 wrote:
22 Apr 2024, 11:13
I still think Stroll is probably on a knife's edge and Sainz is waiting to see if he is dropped to go to Aston. Barring another Perez collapse during the season, Sainz will go to either Aston Martin or Audi.
Stroll will not be dropped by Aston as long as papa stroll rules the show.