2023 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 21 - 23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ringo

Re: 2023 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 21 - 23

Mchamilton wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 18:42
omegacel71 wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 18:35
Did piastri have damage? Hamilton was almost 20 seconds up on him. Don't know why he is getting so hyped up for nothing when Norris is destroying in quali and race.
Destroyed in quali where? Did lando destroy him in Silverstone? No?
Did he beat him in a race where tyre management was obviously a large factor considering the track temps, yes. Chill. The guys a rookie and Lando is absolutely top class.
I would say further that lando cannot sleep on piastri. Piastri is very close in qualy and race. And as a rookie thats super impressive. He will give Lando hell next year is my prediction.
Mark Webber is also the best guy to manage piastri, as a retired modern f1 driver. You can see the confidence and maturity with how he goes about his racing. 2024 at mclaren will bw fireworks.
For Sure!!

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

Sieper wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 22:38
cplchanb wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 21:16
Tvetovnato wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 18:46

In a few select early races when everyone were finding their feet yes, and some odd one when RB dropped the ball with the setup. Other than that, they were crushing the opposition all in all, and this year we see the true potential of the concept they chose.
Well if they're going to make the sport this prescriptive they might as well implement a mid season BoP to equalize the competition. Rb doesn't need to make any revolutionary changes anymore in this current ruleset since they are safe knowing that any major changes from teams will set them back a whole development cycle. It's essentially a parallel performance curve now and it's hard to see any intersection from any teams now until 2026.

It makes sense more than ever now to introduce success ballast relative to their performance gains. You can argue against it back in 2020 since teams had free reign to use whatever resources they got to close in at any time but now the order is more or less set in stone by 1/3 due to the cap.
All other teams can easily catch up, look at the steps Mclaren took, or how close AMR was at the beginning of the season. Merc is also steadily Improving. Redbull was no where in 20 and came quite close in 21. It can be done and quicker than you think.
Catch up to be the second-fastest car sure, but the gap was +33s to Lando today, so actually catching and putting pressure on the Red Bull seems a much bigger stretch.

CHT
CHT

the entire RBR team spirit is on fire at the moment. 1.9 sec pit stop for SP is just amazing.
I dont think any team can really challenge RBR and Max next year as well. unless there is a major slip-up or rule change.

langedweil

ringo wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 00:08
He was helping redbull. Just like he did in 2021.
I wouldnt blame Yuki. He was most likelu given instructions to hold up lando.
J e s u s .. seriously ?
HuggaWugga !

omegacel71

https://i.redd.it/m3fiqhpukudb1.jpg
Tsunoda has often unintentionally helped Red Bull in some way or other sometimes. Can remember Zandvoort last year.

mclaren111

organic wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 22:43
McLaren hired RB engineers and made a jump in performance similar to that of amr when they did the same. With a similar looking package on the surface.

Amr have stalled, what will happen to McLaren's development after this I wonder

As Stella said... This was All Peter Prod & his Team... 8)

mclaren111

AR3-GP wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 22:50
organic wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 22:43
McLaren hired RB engineers and made a jump in performance similar to that of amr when they did the same. With a similar looking package on the surface.

Amr have stalled, what will happen to McLaren's development after this I wonder
Which RB engineers did they hire? I don't think Marshall is there yet.

I thought the current car is the hybrid work of Key, Stella, and Promodrou (forgive this spelling)

I hope they did a deal to release Ricciardo and get Rob Marshall sooner...

jz11
jz11

Tvetovnato wrote:
The most logical question to ask (again) is why Mercedes would even sacrifice race pace in favour of quali pace, when they know they will be doomed on Sunday, either by being overtaken on track or in the pits. Makes absolutely no sense for a team chasing wins and not poles.
this might be too strong for this forum - but you're clearly delusional if you think they are chasing wins, they might luck into one, sure, but if you can't understand why they would fish for poles and sacrifice race pace, then I can't help any more, I said what I had to say

edit: and "no one had any issues with temperatures" is another short sighted comment, Max complained about balance of the car in cold quali just to go and post a one second faster fastest lap in race, and yet you claim that they had no issues with the cold weather streak?

and Lewis was running in much cleaner air the whole race as far as I recall, Russel sitting on gearboxes for a long while, do you know how this impacts engine cooling?

so yes, I'll say it again - Hamiltons car setup was skewed heavily towards quali position and gambled on a lot to have a chance of decent result in race, which didn't pan out, and I have about zero confidence in what Toto is saying in interviews, all of them are trying to promote and hide and say as little truth as possible, because it is a competition, why would they expose their strategy, which is to unsettle RB, and perhaps in future make them sacrifice some race pace to be more comfortable in quali, which the competition can then try and exploit

this very same pattern was when Merc were dominating, I can't believe how short is peoples memory...

Sieper

omegacel71 wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 08:59
Tsunoda has often unintentionally helped Red Bull in some way or other sometimes. Can remember Zandvoort last year.
He has much more often hindered redbull, like Canada last year. Or f.e. De Vries in Baku this year.

I hope you were not insinuating anything.

organic

For me the worst instances were in 2021. Gasly dived out of Max's way at Qatar costing him 0 seconds, whilst Tsunoda did absolutely everything he could to keep Hamilton behind him at Turkey costing him at least 5s - probably much more.

It's a situation that creates lots of issues in a title fight when AT have a competitive car. At the minute, it's not a problem bc AT are so slow and nobody challenges RB, but the closer AT is to RB in performance the more often these situations will arise

Marko controls the fate of the two AT drivers and if they hurt Max / help Marko's rivals then he will probably be unhappy with them and their career prospects could be directly hurt - RB juniors are at the mercy of Marko mostly.

Even if in this instance Yuki had no awareness that Lando was fighting RB for the race lead, I have the distinct feeling he wouldn't have ignored so many blue flags if it was Max in his mirrors.

It will remain a problem for the sport for as long as there is a joint driver program between AT and RB. This is the greater problem compared to the shared ownership

Sieper

ringo wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 00:14
Mchamilton wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 18:42
omegacel71 wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 18:35
Did piastri have damage? Hamilton was almost 20 seconds up on him. Don't know why he is getting so hyped up for nothing when Norris is destroying in quali and race.
Destroyed in quali where? Did lando destroy him in Silverstone? No?
Did he beat him in a race where tyre management was obviously a large factor considering the track temps, yes. Chill. The guys a rookie and Lando is absolutely top class.
I would say further that lando cannot sleep on piastri. Piastri is very close in qualy and race. And as a rookie thats super impressive. He will give Lando hell next year is my prediction.
Mark Webber is also the best guy to manage piastri, as a retired modern f1 driver. You can see the confidence and maturity with how he goes about his racing. 2024 at mclaren will bw fireworks.
Piastri lost pace after he was forced on the grass by Checo. He had floor damage.

So imho he was as fast as some other very talented drivers (like Norris and Hamilton). Max also did not gap him immensely at race start.

His race craft is also good (start, inside line) and he has been hard & fair (and controlled) in duels so far.

1. perhaps his tires were gone that last stint, we cannot know how much of the pace loss was due to that. but I believe the floor damage cost him a lot.

2. he perhaps should not have not remained around the outside on checo but imho checo is not very good in duels, seems to not know exactly where he is. He (Checo) interlocked wheels with Russell too on his overtake. could have ended in tears.

ValeVida46

omegacel71 wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 08:59

Something that often escapes scrutiny. Good post

Alexf1
Alexf1

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

jz11 wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 11:50
Tvetovnato wrote:
The most logical question to ask (again) is why Mercedes would even sacrifice race pace in favour of quali pace, when they know they will be doomed on Sunday, either by being overtaken on track or in the pits. Makes absolutely no sense for a team chasing wins and not poles.
this might be too strong for this forum - but you're clearly delusional if you think they are chasing wins, they might luck into one, sure, but if you can't understand why they would fish for poles and sacrifice race pace, then I can't help any more, I said what I had to say

edit: and "no one had any issues with temperatures" is another short sighted comment, Max complained about balance of the car in cold quali just to go and post a one second faster fastest lap in race, and yet you claim that they had no issues with the cold weather streak?

and Lewis was running in much cleaner air the whole race as far as I recall, Russel sitting on gearboxes for a long while, do you know how this impacts engine cooling?

so yes, I'll say it again - Hamiltons car setup was skewed heavily towards quali position and gambled on a lot to have a chance of decent result in race, which didn't pan out, and I have about zero confidence in what Toto is saying in interviews, all of them are trying to promote and hide and say as little truth as possible, because it is a competition, why would they expose their strategy, which is to unsettle RB, and perhaps in future make them sacrifice some race pace to be more comfortable in quali, which the competition can then try and exploit

this very same pattern was when Merc were dominating, I can't believe how short is peoples memory...
You seem a bit rattled now, which shows how weak your arguments are. I have only put forth arguments that are logical and supported by official statements by the team and team radio during the race. Shovlin also confirmed the cooling issues were down to unexpected ambient temps, and no specific qualifying setup at the expense of race pace. Russell had the cooling issues only after a couple of laps, when he and Hamilton BOTH were in traffic. Yet you accuse me of being delusional, when you have put forth nothing of any substance confirmed by any sources. Citing what RB has done in the past is no confirmation of what Mercedes was doing this weekend, neither is Max’s imbalance in Q and susequent better balance in the race. It’s just the usual ”I know what’s going on while the teams are lying” BS that you quite often read here.

I think your earlier attempt of putting your words in my mouth of Russell being a superior racer to Hamilton disguises your real agenda, which is to make Hamilton’s effort of taking pole on Saturday being only down to sacrifice his Sunday for a glory run when no one else was doing that. So you simply dislike Hamilton and want to make his achievement look bad. Am I right?

Come back when you have something that substantial that confirms your theory. I am happy to be proven wrong, but nothing of what you are saying so far is proving what you think you are proving.