2023 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, July 28 - 30

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SiLo

Re: 2023 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, July 28 - 30

Cs98 wrote:
03 Aug 2023, 14:49
But it's not useful to bring up a bad decision in another racing category to compare and contrast to a correct decision in F1 and cry about inconsistency.
Surely that's kind of the point though, at least, for me, I hate the inconsistency shown IN F1 as well as in other FIA grade sports. So highlighting these two incidents is exactly the action fans and pundits should be taking to highlight the problem.

At no point have I said they made the wrong call, or that the call itself was inconsistent. Karun called out the inconsistency (which is correct) but said it should have been a racing incident (which is wrong).
Felipe Baby!

Cs98
Cs98

SiLo wrote:
03 Aug 2023, 16:18
Cs98 wrote:
03 Aug 2023, 14:49
But it's not useful to bring up a bad decision in another racing category to compare and contrast to a correct decision in F1 and cry about inconsistency.
Surely that's kind of the point though, at least, for me, I hate the inconsistency shown IN F1 as well as in other FIA grade sports. So highlighting these two incidents is exactly the action fans and pundits should be taking to highlight the problem.
It all depends on the point you are making when highlighting these inconsistencies. If you point to a bad decision to make a critique about a correct decision, via the argument of inconsistency, that is very counter-productive because it punishes good decision making. If you go the other way around and use the correct decision to highlight just how wrong the bad decision was, I'm all for that. Just blurting out "inconsistency!" without specifying what you mean does nothing.

And considering Karun didn't approve of the LH penalty to begin with I hardly think this was just a critique of the Vandoorne decision.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

What does Formula E have to do with Formula 1. I don't get it.

denyall

AR3-GP wrote:What does Formula E have to do with Formula 1. I don't get it.
The word Formula and inconsistent stewarding!

Big Tea

denyall wrote:
03 Aug 2023, 17:58
AR3-GP wrote:What does Formula E have to do with Formula 1. I don't get it.
The word Formula and inconsistent stewarding!
And the same 'management'.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ringo

Karun and Brundle dont think its a penalty.
Well let's see what happens moving forward with the stewarding. Inconsistency is the consisten thing with F1 stewards.
For Sure!!

DDopey
DDopey

ringo wrote:
03 Aug 2023, 18:36
Karun and Brundle dont think its a penalty.
Dont forget Jolyon, and we have all the usual suspects playing their part again. It is funny.

Stu

So off-topic here.

We have an FIA thread…

The argument also seems to have an opinion split along party lines (and therefore endlessly repeating the same points over & over at each others)
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

RZS10

chrisc90 wrote:
03 Aug 2023, 10:20
Do they use the same stewards for F1 and F2 though?
The super short answer is: yes.

The slightly longer one: if you look at the steward biographies published for each race you'll see an overlap between most racing series run under the FIA.

For Spa they were:
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... page_3.png

Tim Mayer: F1, WEC, World Rallycross Championship

Mathieu Remmerie: Formula E, F2, F3 and now also F1

Loic Bacquelaine: mainly F3, also Porsche Supercup, TCR, LeMans Cup, Porsche GT Cup and F1

and Derek Warwick, a hard-ass steward who seemingly only does F1 and was against the penalty, at least according to Michael Schmidt who talked to him in the paddock.

And as SiLo pointed out here they all drive under the very same rules, checking any decison documents for F2 or F3 (related to causing a collision) will refer to the FIA International Sporting Code and its appendices, the site is the same as the one for F1, no clue where FE has their decision docs, maybe here https://results.fiaformulae.com/en/docs but i can't be arsed to create an account there.

Stu

Stu wrote:
04 Aug 2023, 08:31
So off-topic here.

We have an FIA thread…

The argument also seems to have an opinion split along party lines (and therefore endlessly repeating the same points over & over at each others)
Time to lock this bitter dispute, I think.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.