2023 Qatar Grand Prix - Lusail, Oct 06 - 08

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Re: 2023 Qatar Grand Prix - Lusail, Oct 06 - 08

TFSA wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 19:06
LookingGlass wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 18:49
I'm a big Alonso fan but he clearly should have been penalized for that rejoin. How he wasn't, I have no idea.
Prob because the Ferrari didn't have to slow down and he came out at racing speed and was able to immediately continue racing.

I'm a bit torn over it. Not sure what to think. But i haven't looked into it from Leclercs PoV.
LEC clearly was forced to take avoiding action and compromised his line to do so. It was penalty worthy clear as day

scuderiabrandon

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 20:24
TFSA wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 19:06
LookingGlass wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 18:49
I'm a big Alonso fan but he clearly should have been penalized for that rejoin. How he wasn't, I have no idea.
Prob because the Ferrari didn't have to slow down and he came out at racing speed and was able to immediately continue racing.

I'm a bit torn over it. Not sure what to think. But i haven't looked into it from Leclercs PoV.
LEC clearly was forced to take avoiding action and compromised his line to do so. It was penalty worthy clear as day

Not at all, look at the onboard, Leclerc sees Alonso well before he rejoins the track and actually moves off the racing line in behind Alonso to get a bit of a tow, he never lifts the throttle. Not a penalty by any stretch.

A reprimand is justified.

Here you go anyways.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

To me it does look like Leclerc thought Alonso was going to the racing line on the left so he then went to move inside (not chasing a tow, but avoiding where he thought Alonso would go). In the end, Alonso didn't go all the way as he maybe saw his mirrors. Then leclerc returns to the racing line. It was definitely a dangerous rejoin by Alonso. Whether or not it deserves a penalty, I have no opinion.

hollus

Juzh wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 15:26
I just discovered Russell wasn't pinged for one track limits violation where he was 100% off, and he was less than 5s ahead of leclerc at the end. Leclerc told ferrari on the cool down to check every russell's lap because he was on a 3 strikes black & white flag already, but I guess they didn't do that.

It's possible he missed timing loop detection completely and got away with it. Silly fia & ferrari for missing this.
https://streamable.com/vcgf5x

lap 46 while lapping lawson
It is in the off phase of the blink in that still, but there is a clear flashing blue flag light in that video, perhaps that is a factor, as in you are being impeded by a guy you are not racing. A somewhat bit far fetched theory, though.
Rivals, not enemies.

AMG.Tzan

hollus wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 22:46
Juzh wrote:
I just discovered Russell wasn't pinged for one track limits violation where he was 100% off, and he was less than 5s ahead of leclerc at the end. Leclerc told ferrari on the cool down to check every russell's lap because he was on a 3 strikes black & white flag already, but I guess they didn't do that.

It's possible he missed timing loop detection completely and got away with it. Silly fia & ferrari for missing this.

It is in the off phase of the blink in that still, but there is a clear flashing blue flag light in that video, perhaps that is a factor, as in you are being impeded by a guy you are not racing. A somewhat bit far fetched theory, though.
This can't even be considered a violation!

Russell went far off the track losing time, not gaining! The track limits violations had mainly to do with Turns 12-13! So I don't see the point of the FIA looking into it really...

It's as if giving Alonso a penalty for track limits for going off track at Turn 2 :lol:
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

chrisc90

AMG.Tzan wrote:
10 Oct 2023, 11:41

Russell went far off the track losing time, not gaining! The track limits violations had mainly to do with Turns 12-13! So I don't see the point of the FIA looking into it really...

It's as if giving Alonso a penalty for track limits for going off track at Turn 2 :lol:
The white line is the track limits. Russell crossed it - therefore slam dunk violation

Cs98
Cs98

chrisc90 wrote:
10 Oct 2023, 12:02
AMG.Tzan wrote:

The white line is the track limits. Russell crossed it - therefore slam dunk violation
You can't apply the penalty retroactively though. Once they let it go during the race it's over. Russell was clearly doing some extreme tyre management at the end. If he knew he had a penalty he would've approached it very differently and Leclerc would never have gotten close. Track limit penalties need to be imposed in real time.

chrisc90

You could say that about any penalty/violation though. If he was on his last strike, and cut track limits 4 times on the last lap of the GP - why should a penalty not be applied after the race? It did for Perez in the race so that theory goes straight out the window.

A penalty can be added up until the deadline the teams have to protest the result.

Juzh

AMG.Tzan wrote:
hollus wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 22:46
Juzh wrote:

Did you watch race weekend at all? There were track limits on all parts of the track, not just T12-13. Many laps were deleted in T5 and lando lost his quali lap from this corner where russell went off unpunished.

On top of that FIA didnt care whether you lost time or not, except in cases like alonso's complete off track excursion. Russell got a third strike and B&W flag when he went off on lap 55 in turn 4 when attempting fastest lap. He lost time but it didn't matter.

https://streamable.com/4yi2kb

So he clearly dodged a bullet.

Cs98
Cs98

chrisc90 wrote:
10 Oct 2023, 12:27
You could say that about any penalty/violation though. If he was on his last strike, and cut track limits 4 times on the last lap of the GP - why should a penalty not be applied after the race? It did for Perez in the race so that theory goes straight out the window.

A penalty can be added up until the deadline the teams have to protest the result.
Some penalties actually need deliberation from the stewards yet the team always knows it's being reviewed and can act accordingly on track. Track limits is black and white, there's no reason for delay except latency in the system. Finding out you broke TL an hour after it happened is not good enough. Now if it's on the last lap or second last lap of the race there's not much you can do about it and that's a reasonable delay. But 10 laps from the end and you don't find out until afterwards? Too slow.

rbirules
rbirules

Cs98 wrote:
10 Oct 2023, 13:05
chrisc90 wrote:
10 Oct 2023, 12:27

Some penalties actually need deliberation from the stewards yet the team always knows it's being reviewed and can act accordingly on track. Track limits is black and white, there's no reason for delay except latency in the system. Finding out you broke TL an hour after it happened is not good enough. Now if it's on the last lap or second last lap of the race there's not much you can do about it and that's a reasonable delay. But 10 laps from the end and you don't find out until afterwards? Too slow.
Didn't this exact thing happen in Austria? A team (Aston Martin IIRC) protested the race (or whatever you call it) and lots of penalties were applied to several drivers after the race which altered the outcome well after the fact.

I agree that finding out later you got a penalty is too slow (other than a last lap infraction), but we have a precedent for this exact thing happening this year.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Has someone got the "pole" of Piastri for the Sprint ? Can't find it on Youtube

dialtone
dialtone

AMG.Tzan wrote:

You are mixing rules.

Leaving track is a penalty when repeated, with or without advantage gained.

Leaving track while gaining an advantage needs to pay the advantage back, say by returning the position gained.

2 separate things, you cannot make your own track limits in the race.

PlatinumZealot

Max has gone 14 wins this season now... Was the record 13 by Vettel or did Max break that already in 2022?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Marc.W

Didn't see this posted, but apologies if it has been.

Unsure on source as it came from a Facebook page.