2023 United States Grand Prix - COTA, Oct 20 - 22

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ValeVida46

Re: 2023 United States Grand Prix - COTA, Oct 20 - 22

AR3-GP wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 00:48

A second fact worth mentioning is that the teams knew about and agreed to these inspection procedures. Hamilton, Leclerc, Mercedes, and Ferrari had plank checks at previous GPs and were aware that not everyone gets checked. To now throw the toys out and make baseless accusations of others of being out of tolerance solely because your own car was thrown out is just sour grapes.
How is it baseless and throwing toys/sour grapes?

It might have been his team mate that was illegal and unchecked. He might have had a word with Charles who told him Sainz was also over the limit.

Completely over reactionary rhetoric.

Sieper

ValeVida46 wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 08:13
AR3-GP wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 00:48

A second fact worth mentioning is that the teams knew about and agreed to these inspection procedures. Hamilton, Leclerc, Mercedes, and Ferrari had plank checks at previous GPs and were aware that not everyone gets checked. To now throw the toys out and make baseless accusations of others of being out of tolerance solely because your own car was thrown out is just sour grapes.
How is it baseless and throwing toys/sour grapes?

It might have been his team mate that was illegal and unchecked. He might have had a word with Charles who told him Sainz was also over the limit.

Completely over reactionary rhetoric.
It is baseless because he can’t know, he is just making assumptions.

ValeVida46

Sieper wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 11:23

It is baseless because he can’t know, he is just making assumptions.
You are literally making that assumption. :lol:

Sieper

Lewis knows exactly how worn the not measured cars are? While FIA does not? How?

organic

Sieper wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 16:11
Lewis knows exactly how worn the not measured cars are? While FIA does not? How?
Paddock talks to be fair. Engineers communicate between each other and that will trickle down eventually into team meetings.

Lewis probably also knows concretely how close George was to legality; perhaps the knowledge that George was illegal informed his comments :mrgreen:

dans79

Sieper wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 16:11
Driver, and team staff all know and talk with members from other teams. What he knows is different to what he can prove.
197 104 103 7

Sieper

@organic, That is certainly what we are now all thinking yes. Maybe that was also the intent.

If FIA has reason to believe they are being duped they should measure. I am extremely glad max & lando were also measured. FIA has done that imho as a service to the fanbase while from their data they had no reason to assume the Mclaren or redbull were out of spec. They have the horizontal accelaration data of all cars I believe. So they will have their suspicions when they measure. Next to the random selection.

TNTHead

organic wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 01:50
Amus says 0.2mm for Leclerc, more for Hamilton

I wonder how they have measured this. It takes a quite precise instrument to measure it and there is always an uncertainty in a measurement. Is this 0.2 mm to reference plane or do they simply measure plank thickness?

TFSA

ValeVida46 wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 08:02
Logistically, you can check 20 planks very easily with 5 scrutineers doing 10 teams. @Dans79 post mirrors that.
It's a plank measurement. Not a time consuming exhaustive and comprehensive check.
Conflating every parameter and all parts with just checking planks is once again, wrong.
Component is located below the car, and the holes have to be measured at multiple angles. That means that you either need specialized tools that can go below the car, or you need to lift them.

How exactly the FIA does it i can't say, but i doubt it's as simple as you make it out to be. There's probably a reason that this is a random check, and not a normal check done to every car at every race. If it was that simple, they would probably have it amongst the common checks.

dans79

TNTHead wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 16:56
I wonder how they have measured this. It takes a quite precise instrument to measure it and there is always an uncertainty in a measurement. Is this 0.2 mm to reference plane or do they simply measure plank thickness?
I posted in the plank thread showing that they are using a depth micrometer. The depth mic sits on top of the skid block, and then measure the distance to the bottom of the hole, thus giving the wear measurement.
197 104 103 7

ValeVida46

TFSA wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 17:02
ValeVida46 wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 08:02
Logistically, you can check 20 planks very easily with 5 scrutineers doing 10 teams. @Dans79 post mirrors that.
It's a plank measurement. Not a time consuming exhaustive and comprehensive check.
Conflating every parameter and all parts with just checking planks is once again, wrong.
Component is located below the car, and the holes have to be measured at multiple angles. That means that you either need specialized tools that can go below the car, or you need to lift them.

How exactly the FIA does it i can't say, but i doubt it's as simple as you make it out to be. There's probably a reason that this is a random check, and not a normal check done to every car at every race. If it was that simple, they would probably have it amongst the common checks.
It really is a simple process that would take 30 minutes for the entire grid. Don't take my word for it, Gunther Steiner literally came out and said it today. (I've posted this already in another thread but will do so again here)
Each car is disassembled before transportation, and this can be done with 5 scrutineers in 10 teams pit garages if you want to reduce the time even further.
"The check doesn't take long, you just have to lift the car and go under it. I don't think it takes long to measure it." He therefore cannot fully explain why not all cars had their underbody checked. The regulations don't say that they have to check all cars. You could say that it's a simple check and that they should do it as standard. I don't know why they don't do it. That's a question for the FIA, not for me. If you want to make a big science out of measuring a plank, we can do that, but I don't think there's a big science behind it. They kept the cars for a very long time [after the Hamilton and Leclerc irregularities were found] while they discussed what to do. In my opinion they could have checked the other 16 cars in the meantime.
"I don't know what the FIA ​​protocol says after the race what needs to be done. When I think about it now, they should have just waited a moment
https://www.formel1.de/news/grand-prix- ... en-koennen

dans79 wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 17:05
I posted in the plank thread showing that they are using a depth micrometer. The depth mic sits on top of the skid block, and then measure the distance to the bottom of the hole, thus giving the wear measurement.
I do wonder which website I've stumbled across when the supposed complexities of measuring a plank is made to be an insurmountable task for the FIA to police all competitors. :lol:

organic

ValeVida46 wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 18:06

dans79 wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 17:05
I do wonder which website I've stumbled across when the supposed complexities of measuring a plank is made to be an insurmountable task for the FIA to police all competitors. :lol:
I think the larger issue is the logistical issue of holding all cars in parc ferme for potentially hours. I think Allison suggested that teams could dismantle the plank assembly themselves which would expedite things for the FIA.

Big Tea

The fact that 2 cars were caught means the reg is doing its job. You can bet no one else is going to want to be next and all the cars will be fractions 'more legal' than they were for this race.
Not much point changing things now it would be superfluous for some long time now as they will be policing themselves
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ValeVida46

organic wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 18:22
I think the larger issue is the logistical issue of holding all cars in parc ferme for potentially hours. I think Allison suggested that teams could dismantle the plank assembly themselves which would expedite things for the FIA.
30 minutes is not hours. According to Steiner, who's a team boss and has experience of these matters.

The only problem, and I mean only problem, is the FIA have not thought about checking all cars and therefore do not have a procedure in place to check all cars.
That's not a logistical or time problem. That's squarely an FIA problem.
Big Tea wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 18:24
The fact that 2 cars were caught means the reg is doing its job.
It's doing it's job for 4 cars on the grid.
The rest didn't need to observe the plank rule at all. Because they weren't checked.
So it's not working for the 16 other cars on the grid in terms of being policed.
Last edited by ValeVida46 on 27 Oct 2023, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.

organic

ValeVida46 wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 18:37
organic wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 18:22
30 minutes is not hours. According to Steiner, who's a team boss and has experience of these matters.

Steiner! a very reliable source :mrgreen: