Track limits ideas

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Zynerji

Re: Track limits ideas

Andres125sx wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 08:20
Zynerji wrote:
25 Oct 2023, 21:44
I like an instant full MGUK Regen for 3 seconds to just rob the power on corner exit. It would defeat any benefit of running wide.
Robbing power at the max acceleration point will be dangerous, if not for the car behind, for next car behind. A car not accelerating where it is supposed to accelerate is very dangerous, look at any crash at starts when some car fail to start moving, it is not the car behind who crashes with it, but some coming from behind wich get suprised when the car ahead suddenly move to a side to dodge the slow car
Dropping 10% power isn't the same as cutting it all. It puts it in the drivers head tho that there are instant consequences to going over the line.

igor3d
igor3d

I believe the main issue is the drivers inability to see the line compared to the tire.

Seems like easiest fix is to add a line half a car width off track.

This way a driver can compare the line to his nose and know his wheel is still on track. (understanding in some weekends you may end up with multiple lines, one for each class, easily fixed by different colors).

Can be done in a matter of a couple hours.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AlXWNlGG7hdcg40cF01 ... A?e=LcwRNS

hollus

Actually, the rumble strip idea can have some merit even if applied literally, as in making the current “track limit” white line a rumble strip itself.
It will not police track limits, but it will give instant feedback to the driver about wether one of his tires it touching the line or not.

And, yes, it might reduce grip a little teeny weeny bit, but the current white line already does that in the rain, arguably in the dry too.
Rivals, not enemies.

SiLo

igor3d wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 23:43
I believe the main issue is the drivers inability to see the line compared to the tire.

Seems like easiest fix is to add a line half a car width off track.

This way a driver can compare the line to his nose and know his wheel is still on track. (understanding in some weekends you may end up with multiple lines, one for each class, easily fixed by different colors).

Can be done in a matter of a couple hours.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AlXWNlGG7hdcg40cF01 ... A?e=LcwRNS
Why not just make the curb half the width of a car? They would instantly get feedback through the steering wheel if they had gone over it then as the other side of the curb is a small ridge.
Felipe Baby!

gazza42000
gazza42000

The problem as I see it is that currently they are allowed to cross the line as long as some part of the inside wheel(s) still touch, the line - ie they push to the absolute limit. Change the rule so it's the outside wheels, it will be visually easy to see if anyone transgresses - and will require minimal cost (no sensors buried in the track etc), and gets away from the marginal 'he had 5mm of tyre in side the white line' issues.

TFSA

gazza42000 wrote:The problem as I see it is that currently they are allowed to cross the line as long as some part of the inside wheel(s) still touch, the line - ie they push to the absolute limit. Change the rule so it's the outside wheels, it will be visually easy to see if anyone transgresses - and will require minimal cost (no sensors buried in the track etc), and gets away from the marginal 'he had 5mm of tyre in side the white line' issues.
That would absolutely kill the racing, because it would basically turn every track into a narrow street track. Non-DRS overtakes would become much harder if you can't even touch the line at all, and the racing would be much slower (because drivers can't take the same lines).

And whether or not it would make stewards job easier is also questionable. Likely it would make it harder. Yes, it would be easier to see, but it's also very likely it would increase the amount of violations substantially, so every race would basically turn into Austria.

This is not a solution.

Big Tea

TFSA wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 19:44
gazza42000 wrote:The problem as I see it is that currently they are allowed to cross the line as long as some part of the inside wheel(s) still touch, the line - ie they push to the absolute limit. Change the rule so it's the outside wheels, it will be visually easy to see if anyone transgresses - and will require minimal cost (no sensors buried in the track etc), and gets away from the marginal 'he had 5mm of tyre in side the white line' issues.
That would absolutely kill the racing, because it would basically turn every track into a narrow street track. Non-DRS overtakes would become much harder if you can't even touch the line at all, and the racing would be much slower (because drivers can't take the same lines).

And whether or not it would make stewards job easier is also questionable. Likely it would make it harder. Yes, it would be easier to see, but it's also very likely it would increase the amount of violations substantially, so every race would basically turn into Austria.

This is not a solution.
They can make the track as wide as they like and the drivers will still say its too hard to stay off the line. How do they manage in Monaco?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

TFSA

Big Tea wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 22:25
They can make the track as wide as they like and the drivers will still say its too hard to stay off the line. How do they manage in Monaco?
Walls are visible. The track lines aren't from where the drivers are sitting.

And sometimes they don't. Plenty of wall-hugs and cars going off into the run-off areas in this years Monaco (some due to rain, but still).

browney
browney

Is the issue with seeing to do with the new tyre size? Surely they checked this in CAD before these new rules?

mrsweet
mrsweet

TFSA wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 23:50
Big Tea wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 22:25
Walls are visible. The track lines aren't from where the drivers are sitting.

And sometimes they don't. Plenty of wall-hugs and cars going off into the run-off areas in this years Monaco (some due to rain, but still).
The drivers can't see the track?!?

TFSA

mrsweet wrote:The drivers can't see the track?!?

Picture from a driver helmet cam. It's impossible to tell if you're on the line or not from that perspective, something I will note that the drivers themselves have pointed out many times.

Juzh

Move white lines at the outer edge of the kerbs instead of inner edge, problem solved for 95% of cases.

FormulaOnceMore
FormulaOnceMore

What about a 10cm step down where the curb ends? Just like a pavement. If you go too far out, you drop down, maybe scramble your floor a bit. At the end of the corner there is no step, that‘s where to rejoin. There would be a little punishment for taking too much risk (damage + wider line) and no ramp like we had with the sausage curbs.

SiLo

FormulaOnceMore wrote:
10 Nov 2023, 12:27
What about a 10cm step down where the curb ends? Just like a pavement. If you go too far out, you drop down, maybe scramble your floor a bit. At the end of the corner there is no step, that‘s where to rejoin. There would be a little punishment for taking too much risk (damage + wider line) and no ramp like we had with the sausage curbs.
Pretty much what I suggested a few posts up. Have the curb be 50% width of the car. Ridge at the end of the curb will give steering feedback on whether they are over or not.
Felipe Baby!

TFSA

TFSA wrote:
15 Oct 2023, 20:57
I think the best bet for an automated system we could implement is high-mounted cameras with AI set up on the inside of the corners filming the outside line. It's not perfect, but could work even in semi bad weather. There's no risk of it being hit by cars either.
Above quote from my first post in this thread on Page 1. Gonna toot my own horn a bit here, because this is what the FIA is gonna test out in Abu Dhabi this weekend.