2023 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Oct 27 - 29

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sieper

Re: 2023 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Oct 27 - 29

LM10 wrote:
01 Nov 2023, 10:57
100% Checo's fault. Why is this even being discussed?
Red car = 0% at fault. By default.

And I kind of agree, my reasoning being that as P5 starter you maybe should be a bit more careful. Be happy you went from 5 to 3, or maybe even 2 if you play it well.

You will always benefit from the crazy tow here. What is to stop the p7 starter from going 4 wide into turn 1 and claim the p1 spot for himself.

It was a very enthousiastic move and Checo also said he was going for p1 there. He ignored Max and Charles bring there.

SiLo

Hamilton watched a replay and literally said "He did a me in Qatar".
Felipe Baby!

avantman
avantman

SiLo wrote:
02 Nov 2023, 13:45
There was a big difference between what Hamilton did in Qatar and what Perez did in Mexico.
Hamilton was full car length behind on the straight before they started braking. Cars in front chose braking points and their lines not seeing and not taking Lewis into account. He moved alongside and ahead only under braking due to superior grip of soft tires.
Perez was the car ahead of both Leclerc and Max though, Leclerc was half car behind Perez of course, saw him but braked later than any of the three.

SiLo

avantman wrote:
02 Nov 2023, 13:53
SiLo wrote:
There was a big difference between what Hamilton did in Qatar and what Perez did in Mexico.
Hamilton was full car length behind on the straight before they started braking. Cars in front chose braking points and their lines not seeing and not taking Lewis into account. He moved alongside and ahead only under braking due to superior grip of soft tires.
Perez was the car ahead of both Leclerc and Max though, Leclerc was half car behind Perez of course, saw him but braked later than any of the three.
You can spin it all you want, but Perez was at fault there, leclerc can't just disappear and would have made the corner without the contact.
Felipe Baby!

Sevach
Sevach

avantman wrote:
SiLo wrote:
It was a fun comment, not to be overanalyzed.

Though i do agree with him that the situation was fairly similar, more important than where they sat heading into braking zone is the 3 wide situation.

mwillems

Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Wouter

mwillems wrote:
03 Nov 2023, 11:37
For the race Lando deserved a 9.5/10 !!
The Power of Dreams!

mwillems

Ahahah yeah I'd tend to agree, you'd argue his race was the best of all. His car might not be the fastest overall, but the ease of his overtakes and the managing of those tyres was rather spectacular.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

TFSA

avantman wrote:
That doesn't have any relevance. Perez is still considered the overtaking car on Leclerc, even if he managed to get his nose ahead. An overtake isn't complete until it's complete, or the cars have exited the corner safely.

Therefore, it's Perez responsibility to perform the overtake safely - all Leclerc needs to do is not run him off the track (although even if he did, it would be considered a racing incident with Max on the inside). Leclerc is not obliged to back out.

You're correct that it's not exactly the same. But in both cases, it was the outside driver doing the overtake, not using the full space on his outside, therefore turning in too early. So the similarity is there - it's not a big difference.