Mercedes W15 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
maygun
maygun

Re: Mercedes W15 Speculation Thread

Vanja #66 wrote:
20 Jan 2024, 19:15
AR3-GP wrote:
20 Jan 2024, 04:49
Ultimately we have to take anything Merc says with a grain of salt. On the evidence of the last 2 seasons, they are not exactly the authority on ground effect.
As much as this stands, I'm sure this was meant to make Merc appear weak on purpose. "When strong, appear weak."

I have absolutely no doubt there is an abundance of floor geometries, within the rules, that allow the floor to generate much more downforce than teams reached in 2023, across wider range of ride heights. The trick is to find the right path and reach this point.
Still, the maximum and minimum area you can define in that geometry is fixed, so the amount of downforce you can generate. RW/FW development is very limited, with no barge boards with frozen engines, and no changed minimum weight limit, I dont understand why it is so controversial to say there is a close limit.

Vanja #66

maygun wrote:
20 Jan 2024, 21:45
RW/FW development is very limited, with no barge boards with frozen engines, and no changed minimum weight limit, I dont understand why it is so controversial to say there is a close limit.
Floors are far more important than wings now and they are nowhere near their development limit after only two years of these regulations
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

MaxLL

Vanja #66 wrote:
21 Jan 2024, 10:10

Floors are far more important than wings now and they are nowhere near their development limit after only two years of these regulations
When development reaches its limit, they will realize that the best was in the past.

Aryoh
Aryoh

New W15 teaser:

hollus

Posts about the carbon control unit sitting in what likely is a W14 have been deleted.
The man belongs in the team thread; the car belongs here, though, if it might be a W15
Rivals, not enemies.

Farnborough
Farnborough

Likely a W15 buck/jig/rig or similar given there's been so much attention focused on driver positioning relative to W14.

All of the elements around steering rack, roll bar, suspension links (moved ad hoc last year at Monaco) will impact new driver ergonomics.

Don't think the black is indication of anything though, most concept build will have absolutely no finish needed or applied.

Related to this (in McL MP 4/4 video) was an interesting bit about drivers ankles etc fitting in through the bulkheads around that area, with the interaction of them as their feet moved through the pedal arc. Not a lot of room in there with many components packed in.

Venturiation
Venturiation

Lewis tried the W15 this week and with the rumors about him moving to Ferrari it's not looking good for W15

K1Plus
K1Plus

Venturiation wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 11:30
Lewis tried the W15 this week and with the rumors about him moving to Ferrari it's not looking good for W15
Yet Anthony Davidson (even though he's mostly a Sky F1 pundit) is their sim driver, when he drove it in the sim, the W15 and said that for the first time it feels like a real F1 car. Hmmm, maybe it feels like an F1 car in terms of being stable and driveable, but what if it's slow AF?

That could mean Lewis leaving, just for the sake of being slow, the W15.

Venturiation
Venturiation

K1Plus wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 11:35
Venturiation wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 11:30
Yet Anthony Davidson (even though he's mostly a Sky F1 pundit) is their sim driver, when he drove it in the sim, the W15 and said that for the first time it feels like a real F1 car. Hmmm, maybe it feels like an F1 car in terms of being stable and driveable, but what if it's slow AF?

That could mean Lewis leaving, just for the sake of being slow, the W15.
Just like the W14 that didn't bounce anymore but was slow

SSScoffee
SSScoffee

Strong chance that the W15 is a dog

f1jcw
f1jcw

Maybe the W15 is really good, going to compete for theWDC, win 9 WDCs and Lewis just wants to drive atleast once in a Ferrari for the history.

Can but hope

mstar
mstar

SSScoffee wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 11:59
I think so. If lewis drove the sim and talked about the figures on the car etc etc he knows what there the car will be. I think he was told they made an improvement but it WON"T beat redbull over 1 season maybe end of the season they get faster.

Luscion
Luscion

mstar wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 12:05
SSScoffee wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 11:59
I think so. If lewis drove the sim and talked about the figures on the car etc etc he knows what there the car will be. I think he was told they made an improvement but it WON"T beat redbull over 1 season maybe end of the season they get faster.
According to a chief editor for Motorsport, the theory of him trying the W15 in the sim had nothing to do with Lewis' decision to go over to Ferrari

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Hamilton will have known what the performance improvement was going to be based on what he was told before the sim session.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Luscion wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 16:07
According to a chief editor for Motorsport, the theory of him trying the W15 in the sim had nothing to do with Lewis' decision to go over to Ferrari

I doubt it... Lewis is a winner, and what a winner, one of the best. More importantly, he wants to win again. I don't believe there are no performance reasons. It doesn't necessarily mean that the W15 has to be a bad car, but the conclusion that it's not a good sign for Mercedes' future is inescapable.