McLaren MCL38 speculation.

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
trinidefender
trinidefender

Re: MCL 2024 speculation

lucafo wrote:
28 Dec 2023, 23:57
As cars are evolving aerodynamically for big side pods (and entrance RBR like), maybe McLaren should re-consider its 2022 SIS and radiator arrangement.
That was changed for the launch of the 2023 car already.

mwillems

trinidefender wrote:
29 Dec 2023, 01:41
lucafo wrote:
28 Dec 2023, 23:57
As cars are evolving aerodynamically for big side pods (and entrance RBR like), maybe McLaren should re-consider its 2022 SIS and radiator arrangement.
That was changed for the launch of the 2023 car already.
My understanding was that the placement of the SIS was still not optimised for the car as the year went on, and understood it may be adapted to better fit this Aero.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

_cerber1

This year, the team does not spoil us with photos; usually, by this time they have posted a couple of pieces. No, I don’t know if this is good or bad. :-k

the EDGE
the EDGE

_cerber1 wrote:
14 Jan 2024, 21:17
This year, the team does not spoil us with photos; usually, by this time they have posted a couple of pieces. No, I don’t know if this is good or bad. :-k
Well they posted pictures last year, and we all know how that started... So i'm gonna say it's definitely NOT a bad thing. Seat fitting must have been a private event this year :lol:

mwillems

the EDGE wrote:
14 Jan 2024, 23:16
_cerber1 wrote:
14 Jan 2024, 21:17
Well they posted pictures last year, and we all know how that started... So i'm gonna say it's definitely NOT a bad thing. Seat fitting must have been a private event this year :lol:
But there was a serious note from last year that I don't know if it ever got resolved. There was a part that people suspect was a cooling technology designed by or in conjunction with Reaction Engines, who make the cutting edge cooling devices used in their Sabre engines. This part was pictured indiscreetly in a photo released by Mclaren during around Jan 23.

This is the tech as I haven't searched for the post

Matt Morris previously of Mclaren has also moved over to Reaction

Did this ever go anywhere, I don't recall seeing any tech in the MCL60 but given that this is viable technology for F1 and this year we are doing a lot of work under the hood, could this be something we might see this year? Benefits being a lighter more compact system and better cooling.

-Bandit

mwillems

Apparently Marelli were our partners who supply the cooling system and this may be why we haven't taken on this tech that Aston, Williams and Mercedes reportedly use. Mirelli no longer appear on our list of partners?

-Bandit

billamend
billamend

Balalu
Balalu

New livery. Looks serious and I love it!

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/formula- ... mpionship/
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

Balalu
Balalu

2024 car reveal: 14th February, as stated in the article I posted above.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

gavingav1
gavingav1

MTudor
MTudor

Balalu wrote:
16 Jan 2024, 19:00
New livery. Looks serious and I love it!

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/formula- ... mpionship/
No more blue,thank God!!!

_cerber1

Macklaren
Macklaren

GETTING ME EXCITEDDD
I think i need to take a break from F1 online until the start of the season....

organic

Andrea Stella on season expectations
"We should be able to make a leap forward, if I look at the resources, our skills and the climate, I am optimistic. Our ability to develop will be fundamental, we will bring updates very soon to continue with the pace that began in the second half of last year which allowed us to grow a lot.

"Red Bull will make a big leap, in 2023 they basically haven't developed the car: for this reason, it's my thought, to win GPs we should be very very competitive, growing a lot.

"Twelve months ago we knew that we would suffer and that we would have to change the concept: the MCL38 instead was tested in the new wind tunnel, was produced in the new composites department and was tested in the new simulator. Overall, we're in much better shape. Then it will be up to us to capitalize."

_cerber1

Stella is happy that in conceiving the 2024 car the performance gain gradient is still relatively steep.

“You always get to the point in a set of regulations where diminishing returns set in," he acknowledged. "It could be that there's some areas of the car where you realise maybe the investment here is not worthwhile.

"But effectively, so far, we have not found it [that point]. If you look at the car and the suspension, tyres, aerodynamics; they all have still quite a lot to offer in this generation of regulations.

"So what we are looking at very carefully is to make sure we are in condition to cash-in these performance opportunities that do seem to be available. This is reflected in the numbers.

"We can't fool ourselves, we need to see these numbers go up and right now it's what we seem to be finding in development. But it's a slightly different story when it comes to competitiveness on track because this depends on what your opposition has done.”

And when it comes to said opposition, it is again Red Bull whose RB20 could impose a hard limit on the results available to McLaren and the rest.