Aston Martin AMR24 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

Re: Aston Martin AMR24 Speculation Thread

peewon wrote:
08 Jan 2024, 21:36
Aston Martin F1 rule out making similar step to start of 2023

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/01/ ... t-of-2023/
https://speedcafe.com/aston-martin-abso ... 3-f1-leap/

KimiRai
KimiRai

KimiRai wrote:
11 Jan 2024, 01:26
Anyways it's not like there is more to talk about, so far there are fewer leaks than last preseason
Maybe I spoke too soon...

There will be no on-site guests at the Aston Martin presentation, it will be a dynamic presentation, i.e. they will be driving the car directly on the Silverstone circuit.

We will have some, some journalists, we will be able to talk to Fernando Alonso at the preview, and of course the typical embargoed interviews. And as well as being dynamic, we will have some insight into "how the team breathes".

What I can tell you about Aston Martin at the moment is that, clearly, at this time of the year, optimism reigns. There is something that has been very good for them, which is a more compact change in Mercedes and a different rear suspension that will allow them to make a narrower car, more in the idea of Red Bull. But Mercedes as well of course, as they have identical suspension and gearbox.

What could be wrong with that? Because everything is new it can be less reliable. But it's true that at Aston Martin they think that [those changes] can be good for their car. And they don't talk about anything other than being hyper focused. Hyper Focus, that's the term they've used for this presentation. What does that mean? Well, it means that the basic or first objective is to try to be as close to where they were at the beginning of 2023. And for that they have to go for McLaren, it's a fact because they know that Mercedes is going to have a good car and Ferrari finished in a good shape.
Last edited by KimiRai on 16 Jan 2024, 03:02, edited 4 times in total.

organic

KimiRai wrote:
16 Jan 2024, 01:40
KimiRai wrote:
Anyways it's not like there is more to talk about, so far there are fewer leaks than last preseason

There will be no on-site guests at the Aston Martin presentation, it will be a dynamic presentation, i.e. they will be driving the car directly on the Silverstone circuit.

We will have some, some journalists, we will be able to talk to Fernando Alonso at the preview, and of course the typical embargoed interviews. And as well as being dynamic, we will have some insight into "how the team breathes".

What I can tell you about Aston Martin at the moment is that, evidently, at this time of the year, optimism reigns. There is something that has been very good for them, which is a more compact change in Mercedes and a different rear suspension that will allow them to make a narrower car, more in the idea of Red Bull. But Mercedes as well of course, as they have identical suspension and gearbox.

What could be wrong with that? Because everything is new it can be less reliable. But it's true that at Aston Martin they think that [those changes] can be good for their car. And they don't talk about anything other than being hyper focused. Hyper Focus, that's the term they've used for this presentation. What does that mean? Well, it means that the basic or first objective is to try to be as close to where they were at the beginning of 2023. And for that they have to go for McLaren, it's a fact because they know that Mercedes is going to have a good car and Ferrari finished in a good shape.
Feels like again it uses many words but not a lot actually said. Just spins up the idea of optimism based on changes Merc are rumoured to be making ie slimmer gearbox and completely revised rear suspension. But we saw at the beginning of '23 that these components weren't really the issue so I don't know where that notion actually came from

KimiRai
KimiRai

organic wrote:
16 Jan 2024, 01:59
Feels like again it uses many words but not a lot actually said. Just spins up the idea of optimism based on changes Merc are rumoured to be making ie slimmer gearbox and completely revised rear suspension.
I get that there is some fluff in there from the second half downwards (could have slimmed it down but I made the deliberate choice of sharing the whole thing) but this time for once I have to disagree with you, unless I massively missed it, driving the car at the launch was not mentioned previously (surely?).

Second is when he says they are optimistic I doubt he's only extrapolating it on his own about there being new Merc parts but rather my understanding is that they are in fact optimistic, as in the mood inside the team being that way, so if it is true (still speculation, nothing proven) that's a good sign. I'll edit it again to better reflect it because perhaps the translator didn't do a good enough job.

organic wrote:
But we saw at the beginning of '23 that these components weren't really the issue
Are you sure about that? There were other issues definitely, but there have been some stories doing the rounds even since the start of last year that would point to them not being optimal.

peewon

organic wrote:
KimiRai wrote:
16 Jan 2024, 01:40
KimiRai wrote:

What I can tell you about Aston Martin at the moment is that, evidently, at this time of the year, optimism reigns. There is something that has been very good for them, which is a more compact change in Mercedes and a different rear suspension that will allow them to make a narrower car, more in the idea of Red Bull. But Mercedes as well of course, as they have identical suspension and gearbox.

Feels like again it uses many words but not a lot actually said. Just spins up the idea of optimism based on changes Merc are rumoured to be making ie slimmer gearbox and completely revised rear suspension. But we saw at the beginning of '23 that these components weren't really the issue so I don't know where that notion actually came from
Im with you. Nothing that has come out of AM in the off season has indicated that they have identified a path to rectify their weaknesses. Which can only be one of two things: Either they are being extremely tight lipped, which based on last pre season and season is highly unlikely OR they are simply putting on the generic ace of optimism which teams like Alpine have been doing so far.

SiLo

Is it possible that flexing front wing caused them more trouble than they are letting on from a design perspective? Or was it simply papering over a more fundamental issue with their actual design?
Felipe Baby!

KimiRai
KimiRai

peewon wrote:
16 Jan 2024, 15:30
Im with you. Nothing that has come out of AM in the off season has indicated that they have identified a path to rectify their weaknesses. Which can only be one of two things: Either they are being extremely tight lipped, which based on last pre season and season is highly unlikely OR they are simply putting on the generic ace of optimism which teams like Alpine have been doing so far.
Well I disagree but it's a respectable opinion on your part, we will find out soon in any case.

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

SiLo wrote:
16 Jan 2024, 15:43
Is it possible that flexing front wing caused them more trouble than they are letting on from a design perspective? Or was it simply papering over a more fundamental issue with their actual design?
Is not possible is fact that FIA banned their front wing otherwise they would use it in Hungary and also wouldn't test it end of the seasonon! But is not really the flexibility, because you can make it stronger and also is passed the FIA test. It was more about the concept than flexibility. Maybe to much outwash or something wich went against the FIA philosophy .

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

Alonso said the 2023 was incredible season and the 24 will be even better, is a little hint how he feels about the new car performance, ready to cook again ...

scuderiabrandon

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
16 Jan 2024, 16:19

Alonso said the 2023 was incredible season and the 24 will be even better, is a little hint how he feels about the new car performance, ready to cook again ...
its never been a question of being better but a question of how much better. The AMR24 can be superior in all areas to the AMR23 and still score less points. Gains are all relative in Formula 1. Take anything , anyone, from any teams says with a truck load of salt.
Last edited by scuderiabrandon on 17 Jan 2024, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.

xReVo
xReVo

Very good, that's what I wanted to hear. Enough talking about 2026 and all this stuff, it's also bad for yourself to always think about the future and not enjoy the present. This year Aston seems to have clear ideas and in my opinion they are not expressing themselves too much because they don't want to make a mistake in their predictions. But from what I see (from their expressions and from what they say) they seem to be in a good place to compete with RB

diffuser

They're optimistic but they have no clue. They only know what they did, nobody knows what the other teams have done. That's why we have a season!

quincalla
quincalla

A few sneak peeks from their socials. Can't really see much but I figured I'd post them anyway. Image Image Image

KimiRai
KimiRai

Not groundbreaking information by any means, of course, but The Race in a recent video has said that "there is optimism within Aston Martin that key lessons learned last year will feed into another step forward in 2024", so going broadly in line with a few statements and the opinion shared last week from the source who mentioned such optimism as well as the AMR24 being driven at Silverstone during the launch (not 100% proven so it will be interesting to confirm).

The Race are decent in terms of their "information relationship" with AM judging from the last two years where they also mentioned the wind tunnel numbers early on if I'm not mistaken.

quincalla
quincalla

From their latest youtube video. It could just be last year's car though. Image