2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Also regarding all the new sponsors, I think this was going to happen as soon as McLaren got themselves together on track. They were already one of the most marketable teams on the grid with their fun brand image of late and popular driver pairings, and the resurgence on track, I believe, was the final thing some sponsors needed to decide it was worth jumping ship to McLaren for the foreseeable future. Added to the fact that Zak seems to be a master brand pleaser, I don't think we will struggle in the sponsorship side of the business any time soon.

Also bit off topic but are we profitable now? I know there were rumours after the cost cap was brought in that some teams were breaking even but surely with all the sponsors and further tightening of the cap we must be close to getting more revenue than we spend on development?

mwillems

MCLvamos wrote:
14 Jan 2024, 20:36
BMMR61 wrote:
13 Jan 2024, 04:12
bauc wrote:
13 Jan 2024, 02:37
New day, new sponsor

The Carlos Sainz connection if I'm not mistaken. Sounds like he may be looking for a new team as early as 2025. Would you trade a Lando for a Carlos?
no. obvious reasons have already been discussed but I think a factor that hasn't is the different driving style Carlos has. I don't know the exact details but from what I've seen and read Ferrari seem to have a problem of Carlos and Charles wanting very different things in the car, and we seem to have the exact opposite at McLaren with Lando and Oscar wanting very similar things in the car. IIRC it was Karun Chandok who explicitly confirmed this suspicion in an interview with Sky. I see no reason to disrupt the harmonious direction the team is moving in right now and pivot to someone (if the rumours are to be believed) has been a factor in taking Ferrari down the wrong development path from 22 to 23.
Do you have a link to these rumours? This seems a bit questionable to me in terms of Carlos being a factor.

But back on topic, Carlos is apparently lining up a multi year deal as he requested so I do not think he will be coming back nor would there likely be a seat for him. There is nothing more to that sponsor deal than the fact that Estrella's deal ended with Ferrari and wanted another in F1, and Mclaren were the best option and had worked together before.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

mwillems wrote:
15 Jan 2024, 14:41
MCLvamos wrote:
BMMR61 wrote:

The Carlos Sainz connection if I'm not mistaken. Sounds like he may be looking for a new team as early as 2025. Would you trade a Lando for a Carlos?
no. obvious reasons have already been discussed but I think a factor that hasn't is the different driving style Carlos has. I don't know the exact details but from what I've seen and read Ferrari seem to have a problem of Carlos and Charles wanting very different things in the car, and we seem to have the exact opposite at McLaren with Lando and Oscar wanting very similar things in the car. IIRC it was Karun Chandok who explicitly confirmed this suspicion in an interview with Sky. I see no reason to disrupt the harmonious direction the team is moving in right now and pivot to someone (if the rumours are to be believed) has been a factor in taking Ferrari down the wrong development path from 22 to 23.
Do you have a link to these rumours? This seems a bit questionable to me in terms of Carlos being a factor.

But back on topic, Carlos is apparently lining up a multi year deal as he requested so I do not think he will be coming back nor would there likely be a seat for him. There is nothing more to that sponsor deal than the fact that Estrella's deal ended with Ferrari and wanted another in F1, and Mclaren were the best option and had worked together before.
Exactly! Ferrari signed on Peroni last year for 2024, who were with AMR. Obviously a more lucrative deal for them, so Estrella keen to stay on in F1 have come back to McLaren. But still a good get by the team, as you'd expect they would have just gone to AMR, especially with Fernando and De La Rosa there. Maybe Fernando doesn't like non-alcholic beer.... :lol:
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

BMMR61

mwillems wrote:
MCLvamos wrote:
BMMR61 wrote:

It wasn't posted as a rumour. It's just interesting that Estrella have been a personal sponsor of Carlos since at least his McLaren days, and, that the rumour is he is being offered only single year extension(s) at Ferrari and he is seeking a multiyear one. Seems a crazy scenario given the excellent partnership and contribution at the Scuderia. I think he's a very good racer and a good development man, without whom Charles may well have become quite lost among the engineering machinations there. Surprisingly he appears to spark strong positive and negative reactions among Ferrari fans, maybe this extends to Ferrari management. If Lando does get wooed away from McLaren by (probably) Red Bull, depending on #55's contract status maybe a return to orange wouldn't be out of the question.

Tomsky
Tomsky

Tomsky
Tomsky

Tomsky
Tomsky

All old posts have been deleted on Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/mclaren?igsh=MWc1eDYzcnhibXhj

BassVirolla

A very black "livery" (bare carbon fiber) is whatever it takes to save weight (increasing ballast capacity).

🧐

_cerber1

Macklaren
Macklaren

Tomsky wrote:
15 Jan 2024, 18:00
https://i.imgur.com/i2wI2Kr.jpeg
What does this say though? 16.01? (Tomorrow?) 61 for MCL61?

mwillems

BMMR61 wrote:
15 Jan 2024, 17:25
mwillems wrote:
MCLvamos wrote:

It wasn't posted as a rumour. It's just interesting that Estrella have been a personal sponsor of Carlos since at least his McLaren days, and, that the rumour is he is being offered only single year extension(s) at Ferrari and he is seeking a multiyear one. Seems a crazy scenario given the excellent partnership and contribution at the Scuderia. I think he's a very good racer and a good development man, without whom Charles may well have become quite lost among the engineering machinations there. Surprisingly he appears to spark strong positive and negative reactions among Ferrari fans, maybe this extends to Ferrari management. If Lando does get wooed away from McLaren by (probably) Red Bull, depending on #55's contract status maybe a return to orange wouldn't be out of the question.
The rumour aspect was to do with MCLVamos statement "and pivot to someone (if the rumours are to be believed) has been a factor in taking Ferrari down the wrong development path from 22 to 23."

Anyway most of this is not related to this thread. Regarding Lando to RB, if we start with a good car I expect Lando to sign a new deal with us and be around for a while. I'm sure he'll also be of the mind that he is better in a car almost as fast as the RB than be in an RB with Verstappen as a team mate. For as long as he hasn't gone head to head and lost he will be a contender in terms of skill and titles. But the moment that lustre is worn away his career and respect will not be the same. You've got to know you can push him real close before you make that move, IMO.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
15 Jan 2024, 20:02
The rumour aspect was to do with MCLVamos statement "and pivot to someone (if the rumours are to be believed) has been a factor in taking Ferrari down the wrong development path from 22 to 23."

Anyway most of this is not related to this thread. Regarding Lando to RB, if we start with a good car I expect Lando to sign a new deal with us and be around for a while. I'm sure he'll also be of the mind that he is better in a car almost as fast as the RB than be in an RB with Verstappen as a team mate. For as long as he hasn't gone head to head and lost he will be a contender in terms of skill and titles. But the moment that lustre is worn away his career and respect will not be the same. You've got to know you can push him real close before you make that move, IMO.
I keep coming back to this, but simracing is where VER and NOR already had their fight and I think VER ends up ahead. I wouldn't be surprised if NOR knows this and is hesitant to go to the same team as VER.

I wouldn't worry about it either way. If you build a great car - drivers will be lining up to join your team. Even if NOR signs for another team you wouldn't have issues. Problem is keeping great drivers in a mediocre or bad team. McLaren needs to become a top team with a top car and there will be no issue.
Macklaren wrote:
15 Jan 2024, 19:22
Tomsky wrote:
15 Jan 2024, 18:00
https://i.imgur.com/i2wI2Kr.jpeg
What does this say though? 16.01? (Tomorrow?) 61 for MCL61?
I tried but I can't figure it out. There are 6s, maybe 9s (inverted 6 so hard to tell) and 1s and 0s. Maybe it is just a fun pattern they did or maybe we get MCL69.

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

They delete all the photos? Or just I have bug? Lol

https://www.instagram.com/mclaren?igsh=b2JmYWd3b24zZzA4

MaxLL

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
16 Jan 2024, 10:09
They delete all the photos? Or just I have bug? Lol

https://www.instagram.com/mclaren?igsh=b2JmYWd3b24zZzA4
It's a bug. Instagram is full of mysteries, it doesn't always work correctly.

f1rules
f1rules

im quessing a new sponsor on the way also, blank space next to DP World