2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

zoroastar wrote:
22 Apr 2024, 01:50
in the post race driver room, lando was commenting to max how bad alonso fell off from tire deg at the begining of the race. that was right before they saw the incident with lance for the first time. haha. bring back V10s and tires that last more than 5 laps. this is ridiculous
Guess he didn't know that Max pitted 2 laps after Alonso, so not the only ones with pace trailing off. nor that Aloso was running .5 or .75 sec per lap faster that Norris after pitting.

-wkst-
-wkst-

KimiRai wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 13:09
(motorsport.com source)
Aston Martin continues to work on the AMR24 to increase the race pace of the car and make the tires run better.

The first step in this regard is planned to be taken with the updates to be brought to Imola.

Imola will probably be the turning point of the season.
Motorsport network (Turkey)

https://tr.motorsport.com/f1/news/krack ... /10601668/

Not much new, all teams bring updates, let's wait and see.

SSJ4
SSJ4

I think P5 was pretty achievable if we didn’t get messed up by the safety car

Kamel
Kamel

Yep, i like how team tries different strategies despite poor race pace

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

SSJ4 wrote:
22 Apr 2024, 13:45
No,because the outcome would be the same. I mean Alonso didn't had new hard tyres. They had 2 options:
1 . Put the softnon and in the last sint the medium. (This they did)
2. Put the medium and put the soft. You could ask.,oke but why just didn't put the medium on and try to go till the end. Is because 30 lap on medium just wouldn't make it.

RedNEO

diffuser

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
22 Apr 2024, 15:13
SSJ4 wrote:
22 Apr 2024, 13:45
No,because the outcome would be the same. I mean Alonso didn't had new hard tyres. They had 2 options:
1 . Put the softnon and in the last sint the medium. (This they did)
2. Put the medium and put the soft. You could ask.,oke but why just didn't put the medium on and try to go till the end. Is because 30 lap on medium just wouldn't make it.
If was the safety car that forced their hand. Once you loose the heat in those hards, they're hard to warm back up with the reduce amount of rubber in them after 12 laps of running. He could easily put another 15 laps into them without a safety car. He could have easily done 20 laps on medium after that.

Big Gun
Big Gun

I think they should of gambled and tried the Softs till the end, what did they have to lose? Sainz on older Hards was barely catching Alonso, he never got the gap under 3 seconds, and Russell wasnt catching Sainz from behind at all.

I guess they have the data and Alonso was probably saying they were losing grip. Then why not pit for the Mediums at least 5 laps earlier? Alonso seemed to have good pace, and may have caught Russell.

Macklaren
Macklaren

diffuser wrote:
22 Apr 2024, 09:35

I did notice that if you factor in a regular pit stop time, Alonso was ahead of Norris on lap 20. So without a safety car. Norris would have come outbehind Alonso.
You can't really do the simple math like this because without the safety cars, Lando and LEC would have gone much longer to one-stop, when everyone else including ALO was committed to the two-stop

MichaelxScarn
MichaelxScarn

Big Gun wrote:
22 Apr 2024, 17:12
I think they should of gambled and tried the Softs till the end, what did they have to lose? Sainz on older Hards was barely catching Alonso, he never got the gap under 3 seconds, and Russell wasnt catching Sainz from behind at all.
Well yes, but there would've been, inevitably!!! the point in which the softs were done and once that happens you're loosing probably more than one second a round. So definitely not possible to keep Sainz behind.

Ashwinv16

Currently on all the races till now race pace has improved by 0.5 seconds and Quali by 0.1 seconds (but others improved as well). The car also works really well on softer compounds as it's able to extract more pace from them as seen in Suzuka and in China. If the team is able to find 0.5 seconds more in Quali pace this will translate to 0.7 second in race pace(relative to top 4 so even if others bring upgrades, Aston has to be faster). it still will be 0.3 seconds slower than Mcl and Ferrari but at the point both Stroll and Alonso can start replicating the extra stop like Alonso did in china, and will just overtake with the softer tyres and/or lower fuel at the final stint. Throw tyre wear in the bin if you can get max quali pace and race pace just for the final stint. This is what differentiates the Sf23 tyre woes from the AMR24, cause unlike the Sf23, the AMR24 is ridiculously fast in it's final stint so much so that Alonso is able to fend of and overtake drivers in the also stint without issue. Their big issue now is for their tyre wear, they are still some how struggling to fire the tyres up and have to push it past the point of no return thermal degradation wise. That's the one issue they need to fix. I think China showed some progress with Alonso vs Perez, but will have to wait and see.
Halo not as bad as we thought

diffuser

Macklaren wrote:
22 Apr 2024, 17:26
diffuser wrote:
22 Apr 2024, 09:35

I did notice that if you factor in a regular pit stop time, Alonso was ahead of Norris on lap 20. So without a safety car. Norris would have come outbehind Alonso.
You can't really do the simple math like this because without the safety cars, Lando and LEC would have gone much longer to one-stop, when everyone else including ALO was committed to the two-stop
I said he would have come out ahead of him, I didn't say he'd finish the race ahead of him. The 8 laps behind the safety car +VSC makes a big difference in tire wear. The Fact that Alonso finished 30 seconds behind Norris with two extra pit stops does put him in the vicinity though. I'd have been surprised though.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Alonso: "We start with a less competitive basis than last year," he explained.

"The car is better, almost 1.5 seconds faster than last year’s car as we saw in Japan. But our rivals are too strong: McLaren, Ferrari, Mercedes… and Red Bull are in a completely different league."

"It looks like we are P7-P8 which is not as good as last year but not because the car is worse, it’s because the other teams are really good."

"Two years ago this team [Aston Martin] had a factory that looked like a karting industrial unit and now we are qualifying ahead of Ferrari, Mercedes… So I’m very proud of this team and there are 20 races left. Let’s have fun."

makecry
makecry

KimiRai wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 03:32

"The car is better, almost 1.5 seconds faster than last year’s car as we saw in Japan. But our rivals are too strong: McLaren, Ferrari, Mercedes… and Red Bull are in a completely different league."

"It looks like we are P7-P8 which is not as good as last year but not because the car is worse, it’s because the other teams are really good."

"Two years ago this team [Aston Martin] had a factory that looked like a karting industrial unit and now we are qualifying ahead of Ferrari, Mercedes… So I’m very proud of this team and there are 20 races left. Let’s have fun."
Can't disagree.

And that is why Lance Stroll's lack of performance doesn't upset me. Lawrence's love for his son has turned AMR into a team that is taking it up with big boys with one of the greatest drivers forefront. I am fine with that.

Also the reality is that, Lance was awfully close to a 4xWDC Seb. Seb being demotivated, washed etc is irrelevant here, if Lance is one of the worst drivers on the grid, he should have been dispatched by Seb with one hand tied, even a demotivated Seb

Fernando here is just on another level and that sort of tells you how good a prime Fernando was. Lance gets a lot of ---, people should just ignore him and focus on Aston Martin as a one-driver team and see the progress they are making. Lance is the boss, he will drive as long as he wants.

diffuser

makecry wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 03:36
KimiRai wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 03:32

Can't disagree.

And that is why Lance Stroll's lack of performance doesn't upset me. Lawrence's love for his son has turned AMR into a team that is taking it up with big boys with one of the greatest drivers forefront. I am fine with that.

Also the reality is that, Lance was awfully close to a 4xWDC Seb. Seb being demotivated, washed etc is irrelevant here, if Lance is one of the worst drivers on the grid, he should have been dispatched by Seb with one hand tied, even a demotivated Seb

Fernando here is just on another level and that sort of tells you how good a prime Fernando was. Lance gets a lot of ---, people should just ignore him and focus on Aston Martin as a one-driver team and see the progress they are making. Lance is the boss, he will drive as long as he wants.
There is no evidence that the current Alonso isn't as fast as Alonso in his prime.