2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
xReVo
xReVo

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
07 May 2024, 16:47
Wheatley would be a good signing for Aston Martin, but I struggle to see how this falls on Krack. He actually recruited a lot of good people to their organization unlike Mercedes who lost tons of important engineers under their team principal’s watch.

Also, there is only going to be so much a team can do with Stroll as a driver. They might be level on points with Mercedes with a different driver in that seat. Not Krack’s fault.
You have to explain to me what the performance of the Aston Martin has to do with Stroll. Do you really think that the constructors' ranking is of interest to anyone? Enough, with or without Stroll this is the car

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

xReVo wrote:
07 May 2024, 22:59
AR3-GP wrote:
Wheatley would be a good signing for Aston Martin, but I struggle to see how this falls on Krack. He actually recruited a lot of good people to their organization unlike Mercedes who lost tons of important engineers under their team principal’s watch.

Also, there is only going to be so much a team can do with Stroll as a driver. They might be level on points with Mercedes with a different driver in that seat. Not Krack’s fault.
You have to explain to me what the performance of the Aston Martin has to do with Stroll. Do you really think that the constructors' ranking is of interest to anyone? Enough, with or without Stroll this is the car
Stroll wasn't my main point (although a minor point: How useful is his feedback?). The performance of the car is the most important, but I don't see yet how Krack is a problem. In comparison to Mclaren (for example) Aston Martin still have some low hanging fruit in their way. They don't make their own rear suspension (not optimized for their car). They also don't have their own windtunnel (efficiency). Both of these limitations are on track to be resolved by 2026.

It's still a "new" team. I would say they are a year behind Mclaren in terms of their reorganization/infrastructure development.

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
07 May 2024, 19:40
Joseki wrote:
07 May 2024, 19:37
AR3-GP wrote:

Let's not be mistaken: it's Stroll Sr. who is signing all the people.
So Krack has no power? Why would Wheatley want such a position?

Krack is a manager, Stroll Sr. would do negotiations for contracts. The "Team", as a whole, would decide on who they would want to hire.

issey
issey

diffuser wrote:
07 May 2024, 23:45
AR3-GP wrote:
Joseki wrote:
07 May 2024, 19:37

Let's not be mistaken: it's Stroll Sr. who is signing all the people.

Krack is a manager, Stroll Sr. would do negotiations for contracts. The "Team", as a whole, would decide on who they would want to hire.
Yep, i think people mix it up because of Toto, he is Principal but also owns the team so he does both. But it isn’t like that usually.

SSJ4
SSJ4

Speaking about why the team had abandoned a design that had been specifically created for the track, team principal Mike Krack explained that the choice was prompted by the lower downforce level triggering more sliding from the tyres.

And, on a weekend when keeping tyre temperatures under control was absolutely critical, both drivers preferred having a car set-up that was better for tyres even if it compromised top speed.

Krack said: “It was more a decision that you make based on tyre behaviour. If you have a lot of sliding, you really weigh up downforce against top speed.

“This is a permanent discussion in the office about whether to go up, or to go down. The drivers have their opinions because they have to try and pass - so we made that choice.

“If we started again, maybe the choice would be different. But the wing choice in the end was not the decisive factor.”

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/why-a ... /10608282/

feel like it was worth a try with fernando considering he was starting from p15. could have started from the pitlane and try the updates.

diffuser

issey wrote:
08 May 2024, 12:38
diffuser wrote:
07 May 2024, 23:45
AR3-GP wrote:

Yep, i think people mix it up because of Toto, he is Principal but also owns the team so he does both. But it isn’t like that usually.
I think it varies depending on the team and it's personnel. Obviously with Aston, Lawrence is a shrewd negotiator. Plus he's also in charge of the purse strings, so there is no back and forth.

I'm sure, before they hired Alonso, the team looked at Drivers who's contracts were expiring. Based on that, the team made a wish list in order of preference. Then Lawrence went out and executed.

Macklaren
Macklaren

xReVo wrote:

This is silly. Why don't AMR just run one car then to save money and reinvest under the budget cap? ALO will likely win the WDC. The constructors championship is critical to prize money and wind tunnel allocation. Also some fans (like me) support teams rather than drivers and pay more attention to the constructors

diffuser

Macklaren wrote:
09 May 2024, 01:36
xReVo wrote:

This is silly. Why don't AMR just run one car then to save money and reinvest under the budget cap? ALO will likely win the WDC. The constructors championship is critical to prize money and wind tunnel allocation. Also some fans (like me) support teams rather than drivers and pay more attention to the constructors
That would defeat the purpose for Lawrence buying the team. You know, a select few, buy teams to give their sons a drive in F1. The Constructors champions reduces the wind tunnel time you get with the higher up in the Constructor standings the team finishes . so I don't see see that as being a driving point. I think his son is a priority right now. Although with Lance always saying "We'll see" to every question about the future, it is starting to sound like he has targets he needs to hit or he's out. We might be seeing Sainz and Alonso as team mates at AMR next year ....

NAPI10
NAPI10

diffuser wrote:
09 May 2024, 02:20
Macklaren wrote:
xReVo wrote:

That would defeat the purpose for Lawrence buying the team. You know, a select few, buy teams to give their sons a drive in F1. The Constructors champions reduces the wind tunnel time you get with the higher up in the Constructor standings the team finishes . so I don't see see that as being a driving point. I think his son is a priority right now. Although with Lance always saying "We'll see" to every question about the future, it is starting to sound like he has targets he needs to hit or he's out. We might be seeing Sainz and Alonso as team mates at AMR next year ....
I have the same feeling; Lance is not 100% committed to next season.

makecry
makecry

Macklaren wrote:
xReVo wrote:

Barely silly. Regardless of how Stroll performs, they have a GOAT contender legend well known for his race day antics who is struggling to put car in high positions on a Sunday. IMO Lance should just be ignored and all discussions going forward should be gauged on Fernando's performances because thats as close of a measure we will get to car's real performance.

makecry
makecry

Macklaren wrote:
xReVo wrote:

Barely silly. Regardless of how Stroll performs, they have a GOAT contender legend well known for his race day antics who is struggling to put car in high positions on a Sunday. IMO Lance should just be ignored and all discussions going forward should be gauged on Fernando's performances because thats as close of a measure we will get to car's real performance.

collindsilva
collindsilva

Lets wait for the Imola upgrades .
If it works with considerable improvement in race pace then it is safe to assume that we are on the right path and more improvements can be expected.
If not, then either the simulation tools are not upto the mark with correlation issue between the factory and track or the suspension from merc is the bottle neck.
Lets hope for the best....

SSJ4
SSJ4

The fact we haven’t heard any rumours about the potential gain from imola package has me slightly worried

diffuser

I think they're gonna work. Simply cause the problem last year was that the aero was taking the car in a different direction and they could NOT apply that direction to AMR23. The changes to the sidepods couldn't be done in season. We all see how much faster this years car is over last year, so that direction has been proven sound. I don't see another major obstacle in improving the AMR24 as there was for AMR23.

NAPI10
NAPI10

SSJ4 wrote:
09 May 2024, 14:15
The fact we haven’t heard any rumours about the potential gain from imola package has me slightly worried
I don't want to discredit the team but don't have high hopes from these upgrades. If we are using ineffective 'Mercs Rear' ;there is a limited scope to improve the car's performance.