Ferrari SF-24

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zioture
zioture

Re: Ferrari SF-24

gordonthegun

The new arm:

Stu

From looking at the photos (thank you @zoiture)…
https://twitter.com/Graftechweb/status/ ... 2608435279

I would say that he has the layout wrong? (Back to front? Photo is from the rear of the car)🤔

But it does show how/why they are looking at all areas for improvement and airflow management. A very neat & clever idea to increase the effectiveness of the brake duct outlet and upper cake-tin winglet.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Waz
Waz

Stu wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 08:01
From looking at the photos (thank you @zoiture)…
https://twitter.com/Graftechweb/status/ ... 2608435279

I would say that he has the layout wrong? (Back to front? Photo is from the rear of the car)🤔

But it does show how/why they are looking at all areas for improvement and airflow management. A very neat & clever idea to increase the effectiveness of the brake duct outlet and upper cake-tin winglet.
How is it legal? Genuine question, rather than accusation. I was under the belief that suspension arms have to be aerodynamically neutral, and don't understand how these comply.

Or maybe I am not clear on how they're affecting the cake tin fins?

Vanja #66

Stu wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 08:01

Piola (and his team) uses photos and sometimes it's a direct trace, I think this is the case now. Hard to illustrate things wrong with a trace :)

Waz wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 12:19
How is it legal? Genuine question, rather than accusation. I was under the belief that suspension arms have to be aerodynamically neutral, and don't understand how these comply.
Aero foils around the suspension and driveshaft have to be symmetrical and they are limited on relative thickness somehow. They can be inclined by 10 degrees (iirc) in either direction relative to reference plane. It's been like this on front and rear suspension for decades
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Space-heat
Space-heat

https://formu1a.uno/it/esclusiva-ferrar ... a-cardile/

Seems Ferrari are switching to RBR style (Shark mouth) radiator inlets. I was not expecting that.

Minor front wing update and new floor are the main parts discussion.

2-2.5 tenths gain predicted. Could put Carlos and Charles right about Max.

Venturiation
Venturiation

Space-heat wrote:
11 Apr 2024, 13:09

Seems Ferrari are switching to RBR style (Shark mouth) radiator inlets. I was not expecting that.

this means they tools had to be changed to make it work the second time?

there will also be the Red Bull-like upside-down mouths which, initially, did not give the desired results but subsequent studies have promoted (gains/development)

scuderiabrandon

Venturiation wrote:
11 Apr 2024, 16:02
Space-heat wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GK4ROR9WwAE ... name=large

there will also be the Red Bull-like upside-down mouths which, initially, did not give the desired results but subsequent studies have promoted (gains/development)
No, it only means they've made it work. It's called iterative design for a reason. :mrgreen:

Space-heat
Space-heat

Venturiation wrote:
11 Apr 2024, 16:02
Space-heat wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GK4ROR9WwAE ... name=large

It is hard to know what changed. It might have been smoke on the initial report of the overbite not working in the tunnel.

Considering the cooling limitations of the F1-75 and SF-23, Ferrari obvious came a long way last year on engine reliability/cooling. Or maybe the centerline cooling added to the SF-24 is significant.

Looking forward to Imola to see it all on track.

DoctorRadio
DoctorRadio

How can Ferrari get away with smaller inlets/sidepods and still have the slim airbox (if the above report is to be believed)?
The RB20 has center line cooling and still quite “big” sidepods, with many inlets around the car.

Certainly Ferrari’s PU cooling efficiency is very impressive, IF that is going to be the case; should it also mean much less drag than the current spec?

matteosc
matteosc

DoctorRadio wrote:
11 Apr 2024, 19:02
How can Ferrari get away with smaller inlets/sidepods and still have the slim airbox (if the above report is to be believed)?
The RB20 has center line cooling and still quite “big” sidepods, with many inlets around the car.

Certainly Ferrari’s PU cooling efficiency is very impressive, IF that is going to be the case; should it also mean much less drag than the current spec?
I would not expect Ferrari to have the same inlet size as RedBull. They will probably have larger inlets to compensate the lack of centerline cooling and additional inlets.

Vanja #66

On one hand, it's not rare to have worse results with a completely new design of a novel concept in some area and very quickly find out how to improve it - simply because you are quickly learning how it works and how it can be improved. Also, since the flow is naturally coming up to this area from very low layers under the front suspension, extended upper inlet lip makes quite a lot of sense.

On the other hand, it's a very, very different solution from what Ferrari started with. And Ferrari's cooling architecture is different in every way compared to RB20 and I don't think they will want to change so many things at the same time. It doesn't look like it would make sense to do it on SF24, but if they really do it - means it makes a lot of sense. One things is certain, it does open up different development paths which is why RB20 was designed with such a solution.

I'd like to see any team try their hand with their own solution of such a concept simply to shake things up visually. It's more than likely it would also mean different overall optimal geometry with different cooling architecture, etc
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

LM10
LM10

Surprising news if true! Would have not expected shark mouth inlets on the Ferrari so early. But it only proves that they have started with their own idea way before the RB20 got launched. Prepare for people calling it a RB20 copy as soon as it’s on the SF-24 (I’m 100% sure Marko will). :)

ing.

I’m a bit sceptical about Ferrari using the over-bite concept ‘copy - paste’ from RB20, not just because of the aforementioned different cooling layout but also because RBR pretty much lay out their front suspension to condition the air to the SPs.

But then again, all teams using the underbite have done so with different suspension layouts and Ferrari already have a vertical inlet (S-duct) which may be repurposed for cooling duties, so let’s hope it looks good and works even better.

scuderiabrandon

ing. wrote:
11 Apr 2024, 23:57
I’m a bit sceptical about Ferrari using the over-bite concept ‘copy - paste’ from RB20, not just because of the aforementioned different cooling layout but also because RBR pretty much lay out their front suspension to condition the air to the SPs.

But then again, all teams using the underbite have done so with different suspension layouts and Ferrari already have a vertical inlet (S-duct) which may be repurposed for cooling duties, so let’s hope it looks good and works even better.
No need to be sceptical, this is a formula 1 team, they don't do things based on vibes. If they do something, it's for a reason, & the reason here being it's probably showing gains or opening doorways to future developments.

Secondly, the s-duct will remain an s-duct. Its primary purpose is to siphon boundary layer losses, it's not ideal for cooling anyway, that should tell you that even though Red Bull do use theirs as a cooling inlet, cooling is the secondary purpose. The benefit of using it as a cooling duct is that they don't need to define an outlet separate from the main cooling duct system, as it probably merges somewhere downstream.

Ferrari on the other hand need to define an outlet. Again, they could probably merge it to the main side pod ducting system, but it won't serve a cooling purpose. The benefit of having it separate means you get to use the outlet as a flow conditioner.

We also need to pay respect to the new engine cover bodywork. A lot of cooling capabilities added with the big cannon outlets at the back, in oppose to previous years. In fact, Ferrari have only opened 1 or 2 cooling louvres thus far, which should tell you they probably have a big enough margin to trim down the inlet size.

No centreline cooling will be added in my opinion. I think that is rather complicated, given they still use a rear mount turbocharger. It will likely have a negative effect on the centre of gravity & they would need to account for the shift in weight distribution as the front to rear split is regulated.

All signs point towards having margin available in the cooling system in addition to it showing aerodynamic gains. We've also seen flow viz show a big up wash at the leading edge of the floor so that also acts as a ram for the inset inlet. I agree that it will probably not be direct copy-paste sicne the overall cooling scheme is very different.