2024 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2024 Alpine F1 Team

MtthsMlw wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 17:46
We need a rule change that mandates that at least 90% of bodywork has to be painted over
I have in my mind a "paint ballast" of say 4kg. You could introduce it without changing the minimum weight of the cars and just forces the teams to cut a little extra weight

You carry 4kg paint or the amount below 4kg is made up by ballast. Then no incentive not to paint the cars - easy. And if you want a special livery with particularly shiny paint then it costs you 1 or 2kg relative to other teams at most

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

If this instruction was given to me, then I would put the 4kgs of "missing" paint on the underbody for a lower CoG. :lol:

The paint rules would have to be very prescriptive. Something to the effect of "no exposed carbon fibre can be visible above a Z = 1000mm reference plane"

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 17:57
If this instruction was given to me, then I would put the 4kgs of "missing" paint on the underbody for a lower CoG. :lol:

The paint rules would have to be very prescriptive. Something to the effect of "no exposed carbon fibre can be visible above a Z = 1000mm reference plane"
and bodywork % covered and it would be sorted

considering how little of the livery is paint, it's a decent looking livery

Not gonna make conclusions about the fortunes this season but compared to last season when things (front wing, nose) felt a bit disconnected from rest of design, this is more in line with expectations which I think is good

JordanMugen

AR3-GP wrote:

There's no need for such rule.

Alpine chooses not to cultivate the image of racing in French Racing Blue, that is their free choice as they are entitled to make. I will be very surprised if the Ferrari carries as little Rosso as the Alpine carries blue.

It's up to teams if they want to carry a predominant racing colour(s) or just have black (carbon) cars with some stripes (Alpine, McLaren, Sauber), after all. Similarly to Ferrari, I very much doubt that Aston Martin will be willing to forgo the green (be it Almond Green or British Racing Green or Aston Racing Green, however you want to call it).

That Alpine does not care about racing in French Racing Bue is 100% their own decision and a decision to be respected by rulemakers and fans.

organic wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 16:24
They've got the rb19 floor edge, mclaren-like sidepods but yeah I expect a lot of changes underneath. It's evolution not revolution :mrgreen:
Enough to win races?

It reminds of the ever conservative all-new Toyota F1 car launches of years past, cars which looked hardly any different from their mediocre predecessor and (unsurprisingly) failed to win much of anything...
Last edited by JordanMugen on 07 Feb 2024, 18:54, edited 3 times in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

JordanMugen wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 18:46
AR3-GP wrote:

There's no need for such rule.

Alpine chooses not to cultivate the image of racing in French Racing Blue, that is their free choice as they are entitled to make. I will be very surprised if the Ferrari carries as little Rosso as the Alpine carries blue.

It's up to teams if they want to carry a predominant racing colour(s) or just have black (carbon) cars with some stripes (Alpine, McLaren, Sauber), after all. Similarly to Ferrari, I very much doubt that Aston Martin will be willing to forgo the green (be it Almond Green or British Racing Green or Aston Racing Green, however you want to call it).

That Alpine does not care about racing in French Racing Bue is 100% their own decision and a decision to be respected by rulemakers and fans.

JordanMugen

That's much better. Clearly they do not care about racing in their colour in F1 though, or else they would do so as we expect Aston Martin and Ferrari to do.

K1Plus
K1Plus

CaribouBread wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 16:27
The bit that's really sticking out to me is the new nose cone. Don't quite understand what they're going for with it
Didn't in the past design eras (2017-2021) a wider nose cone have more downforce, although at the expense of
more drag of course. Talking about for example the 2017-2021 Ferraris.

Could this be they're trying to manage the airflow better to improve the flow front through back and have a wider setup window? Cause the Alpine it wasn't such a predictable car AFAIK last year.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

K1Plus wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 19:08
CaribouBread wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 16:27
The bit that's really sticking out to me is the new nose cone. Don't quite understand what they're going for with it
Didn't in the past design eras (2017-2021) a wider nose cone have more downforce, although at the expense of
more drag of course. Talking about for example the 2017-2021 Ferraris.
I thought teams started to narrow the cross sectional area of the nose cone in order to allow more air to pass to the floor.

organic

Good move to retain permanently for me. I like it

organic

Hmmmmm all signs suggest alpine didn't hit targets in winter

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alpi ... /10573460/
However, the initial sideways step to a new design means Alpine could well appear at the season start in Bahrain behind of where it wants to be, a scenario which both drivers have been briefed about.
"It is a possible scenario," Ocon replied when asked by Motorsport.com if Alpine is braced for a difficult start.
Ocon:
"It's not necessarily that crucial where we start, but it's going to be where we are mid-season."
Gasly:
we've got to wait for Bahrain and get a first feel with it. But we know there is potential to unlock, we just might need to be a little bit patient.
Gasly:
when you come with a completely new concept, it might not provide all the rewards you expect from the beginning.
Matt Harman:
All the changes you will see, in fact, have been made to be able to increase performance in the next two seasons, even if some compromises have been reached on the achievement of certain objective

continuum16

organic wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 20:28
Hmmmmm all signs suggest alpine didn't hit targets in winter

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alpi ... /10573460/
However, the initial sideways step to a new design means Alpine could well appear at the season start in Bahrain behind of where it wants to be, a scenario which both drivers have been briefed about.
"It is a possible scenario," Ocon replied when asked by Motorsport.com if Alpine is braced for a difficult start.
I'd believe it. Using everyone's favorite method of judging car performance (looking at it with no data 8)) I don't see a lot of difference between the car they showed today and the car that they ran in Abu Dhabi. Other than the vertical drop-down on the sidepod inlets and some floor edge details which are novel to the team but not the grid, I see almost no difference. Either they changed the whole car underneath, are holding back many details, or have just pulled an MCL60 where the base car is a subtle update of the last car with hopes that upgrades will transform it. Because for this to be an "all-new car, back to front" it looks like many parts of it may have been designed with the help of tracing paper...
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

organic

They've said the car has entirely changed underneath and I believe it. It's just the noises they're now making that makes me concerned.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 20:38
They've said the car has entirely changed underneath and I believe it. It's just the noises they're now making that makes me concerned.
Alpine had similar reservations before the start of 2022.

JordanMugen

organic wrote:
Gasly:
we've got to wait for Bahrain and get a first feel with it. But we know there is potential to unlock, we just might need to be a little bit patient.
It must be new underneath?

The top side looks nearly identical to the old one, apart from minor tweaks.

scuderiabrandon

JordanMugen wrote:
08 Feb 2024, 08:32
organic wrote:
Gasly:
It must be new underneath?

The top side looks nearly identical to the old one, apart from minor tweaks.
Harman did a good breakdown of the inernal changes at the launch event. I guess that's where most of the energy and time went into and they'll evolve the aero cocnept throughout the season. It was clearly not their biggest focus for the winter.