[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2024 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2024 (Grand Prix Cars)

spacehead3 wrote:
12 Apr 2024, 17:06
My car is.....unfinished. Exactly the same as last year, just with new sidepods / engine cover. Don't expect I'll be too competitive for round 1.
New (winning) RB16b!

yinlad

spacehead3 wrote:
Very nice looking cars from cae & yinlad so far (love the sidepods)!
Thanks! I have a lot of respect for you, CAE and whoever else manages to make a louvre-less design work.
spacehead3 wrote:
My car is.....unfinished. Exactly the same as last year, just with new sidepods / engine cover. Don't expect I'll be too competitive for round 1.
Our engine covers are very similar, about as close cropped to the mandatory part as possible. In all honesty the side pod concept isn't too far apart either. I'm sure you will make leaps forward as you bring updates
MVRC - Panthera

G-raph

spacehead3 wrote:
12 Apr 2024, 16:55
Busor wrote:
12 Apr 2024, 16:14
So it will be necessary to submit the suspension covers in one part with the mandartory suspension part to be sure?
I suggest we just leave that up to each person for now. Andre, thoughts?
I agree. There are many ways around this small issue, so I think each competitor should submit what works for them.

LVDH

OK, to the suspension issue:
You guys are not supposed to submit any mandatory parts.
What I think how I will run the first race and you guys should maybe work as well is like this:
For scrutineering, I will use the full suspension parts to make sure your covers actually cover the suspension arms.
Into the cfd case and with that into morphing, I will use a part without the internal arms. This will ensure that after morphing these internal rods do not poke out of the cover surfaces.
I will have to look for a better solution to this small issue. With some luck, I just have to remesh the mandatory suspension parts or tweak some morphing parameters.

This morning, mailerlite was behaving pretty strange. I updated the reminder email to contain our wonderful sponsors but it kept crashing and timing out.
I hope you all received an email this morning. It contains the details on how to submit the car.
Again, it is your own responsibility to make sure your car gets submitted in time!
Anyone, who wants to participate last minute, will have to register a team and then shout out here in the forum, so I can resend the email.

CAEdevice

The covers should hide the suspension part before the morphing, I hope.

I think I will re-submit the car filling the internal volumes of the hollow suspension cover and I will not include in the submission the "minimal" suspensions arms provided with the MVRC parts.

Would it be correct? Can I expect to maintain the same final results from morphing?

PS: I confirm I have received the email this morning. The car also has been submitted this morning.

HermesMotorsport

Good looking cars everyone!

I'm happy to present mine for this season! It still carries some parts from the previous season, especially the sidepods, as I wasn't satisfied with the design iterations that I did during the winter :) . Some improvements for the floor and front and rear wings. I still think that there is more potential to unlock and a lot more to learn on my side!

Good luck to everyone and looking forward for the first race! :D

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:
13 Apr 2024, 16:34
The covers should hide the suspension part before the morphing, I hope.

I think I will re-submit the car filling the internal volumes of the hollow suspension cover and I will not include in the submission the "minimal" suspensions arms provided with the MVRC parts.

Would it be correct? Can I expect to maintain the same final results from morphing?
Yes, make sure that the suspension arm rods are covered by your own suspension parts when the car is in the 0 rake, 0 ride height adjustment position.
I will later morph without the mandatory internal parts of the suspension.
Please also keep in mind, the deflectors are not part of the suspension.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote: Please also keep in mind, the deflectors are not part of the suspension.
Actually I was thinking of putting the deflectors in the suspension folder. Am I wrong?

yinlad

I've got my car submitted for Race 1, had to make a couple of last minute tweaks after I noticed my front wing was poking out of the regs box in a few places, but dropped some drag and picked up some downforce in the process, which I'll take.

The only concern I have now is how CoP is going to shift on an official simulation. I'm slightly forward of optimal on my own sims hoping for a marginal shift rearwards as I saw last year, but it's a bit of a guess. I'm 0.01 or 0.02 under on cooling but again hoping for marginal increase inline with what I saw on official sims last year.

Now the nervous wait begins!

CAEdevice wrote:
14 Apr 2024, 12:36
LVDH wrote: Please also keep in mind, the deflectors are not part of the suspension.
Actually I was thinking of putting the deflectors in the suspension folder. Am I wrong?
I don't think so, section 14 of the tech regs says they should go in there.

HermesMotorsport wrote:
14 Apr 2024, 11:10
Good looking cars everyone!

I'm happy to present mine for this season! It still carries some parts from the previous season, especially the sidepods, as I wasn't satisfied with the design iterations that I did during the winter :) . Some improvements for the floor and front and rear wings. I still think that there is more potential to unlock and a lot more to learn on my side!

Good luck to everyone and looking forward for the first race! :D
Looks like a good step in model quality on the wings at the very least, looking forward to seeing what else you bring as the year progresses.
MVRC - Panthera

Ft5fTL

Nice cars, looks like another tight season is ahead of us. Here is my contender for the first race:

Bodywork is mostly carry over from last year with some of changes like waterslide sidepods, 2023 Merc style cannon exit (waterslides and cannon exit aren't F1 level extreme atm) and a reshaped nose. Rearwing and front wing is also mostly carry over minus the endplates on the front wing, beamwing and 2nd element tweaks on the rearwing. Most of the work went on the floor that i was lacking drasticly on the previous season. This one should be around -3.7/3.8 cd/cl.

Bonus pic :lol: :
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

variante

Beautiful surfacing, especially around the sidepods.
The diffuser area is very interesting. I'll have to try that mouse hole myself.

yinlad

Ft5fTL wrote:
14 Apr 2024, 18:03
Nice cars, looks like another tight season is ahead of us. Here is my contender for the first race:

Bodywork is mostly carry over from last year with some of changes like waterslide sidepods, 2023 Merc style cannon exit (waterslides and cannon exit aren't F1 level extreme atm) and a reshaped nose. Rearwing and front wing is also mostly carry over minus the endplates on the front wing, beamwing and 2nd element tweaks on the rearwing. Most of the work went on the floor that i was lacking drasticly on the previous season. This one should be around -3.7/3.8 cd/cl.
I could never get the long deep undercut working for me, I'll be intrigued to see how it fairs for you.
The rear floor edge and Mousehole are fascinating and quite innovative, I don't recall where the rear floor mandatory surface sits but I'm surprised the Mousehole is so big while maintaining legality. Something I'll have to investigate as I still have some diffuser potential to tap in to (I think).
Your front suspension angle of attack looks way more aggressive than I could manage without significant separation too.

-3.7/3.8 is a strong starting point, I think we might see quite a few cars end up in this area with some very close lap times coming down to cop and how that efficiency is made up
MVRC - Panthera

Ft5fTL

yinlad wrote:
16 Apr 2024, 00:03
I could never get the long deep undercut working for me, I'll be intrigued to see how it fairs for you.
The rear floor edge and Mousehole are fascinating and quite innovative, I don't recall where the rear floor mandatory surface sits but I'm surprised the Mousehole is so big while maintaining legality. Something I'll have to investigate as I still have some diffuser potential to tap in to (I think).
Your front suspension angle of attack looks way more aggressive than I could manage without significant separation too.

-3.7/3.8 is a strong starting point, I think we might see quite a few cars end up in this area with some very close lap times coming down to cop and how that efficiency is made up
That number is mostly guesstimate at this point. I switched back to the fast settings on my cases and my comparison is G-raph's last seasons car data that he provided on his 2023 car thread. According to him there could be some nasty flow seperations appear on the official runs so fingers crossed on aggresive stuff like the suspension doesnt form any of it.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

G-raph

With so many entries it will be a fascinating season at all levels! Good luck everyone!

Nice designs shown so far. Very neat from PurePower as always, with an interesting take on the RBR engine cover. Nice to see progress from Hermes, with a cheeky undercut inlet.

As for the yellow car, well, let's start with the customary comparison with last year's car (race 04 spec). Let's call it a radical evolution :

If you have read my development story about GR_23, you should understand why I have gone in this direction for GR_24. The most notable changes are :

- Reduced rake angle (lowered the rear)
- Bigger front wing, smaller rear wing
- Narrower airbox and engine cover, with airbox sails removed (for legality, yes, but I would have done it anyway)
- Raised sidepod inlet and very deep undercut
- Smaller radiator with flatter side-view angle
- Raised floor leading edge
- Reworked floor fences and floor edge
- And most importantly : DARK RED WINGS !!! (because why not?) :mrgreen:

And here are a few more static shots :

yinlad

G-raph wrote:
16 Apr 2024, 01:05
With so many entries it will be a fascinating season at all levels! Good luck everyone!

Nice designs shown so far. Very neat from PurePower as always, with an interesting take on the RBR engine cover. Nice to see progress from Hermes, with a cheeky undercut inlet.

As for the yellow car, well, let's start with the customary comparison with last year's car (race 04 spec). Let's call it a radical evolution :

https://i.postimg.cc/HL0SDK91/animated-23-24.gif

If you have read my development story about GR_23, you should understand why I have gone in this direction for GR_24. The most notable changes are :

- Reduced rake angle (lowered the rear)
- Bigger front wing, smaller rear wing
- Narrower airbox and engine cover, with airbox sails removed (for legality, yes, but I would have done it anyway)
- Raised sidepod inlet and very deep undercut
- Smaller radiator with flatter side-view angle
- Raised floor leading edge
- Reworked floor fences and floor edge
- And most importantly : DARK RED WINGS !!! (because why not?) :mrgreen:

And here are a few more static shots :

https://i.postimg.cc/sgr66s54/launch4.png
https://i.postimg.cc/zXW2FVHf/launch2.png
https://i.postimg.cc/DwPCRHgk/launch6.png
https://i.postimg.cc/rpyhTjnd/launch11.png
It's certainly striking! It's beginning to remind me of circa 2008 F1 cars with all of its detail pieces.
A scary evolution indeed, I can only hope you didn't find too much performance :wink: it's the one to beat, again, I'd say
MVRC - Panthera