[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2024 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2024 (Grand Prix Cars)

G-raph wrote:
16 Apr 2024, 01:05
As for the yellow car, well, let's start with the customary comparison with last year's car (race 04 spec). Let's call it a radical evolution :
I see continuity with the previous model with the addition of interesting details. I'm sure it will still be among the best (unfortunately for me). I am amazed at how it is possible to elaborate so many details by simulating with the short template: I admit that I tried but without results.

variante

I present you the Variante challenger for the 2024 Mantium competition.

It was conceived as an evolutionary development of the 2023 car, leveraging the strengths that allowed it to win the final race of last Season. Namely, a powerful underfloor, an unconventional diffuser, and harmonized upper surfaces.

Development involved the following parts:
Wheels Deflectors - simplified to achieve a more predictable behavior;
Cooling Intakes - in a top-down configuration to capture more air for the same frontal area;
Radiators - miniaturized to enhance sidepods undercut and open development paths;
Sidepods - more sculpted and steeper to offer better flows to the rear end;
Cooling Exhausts - tightened to maximize downwash on the Rear Wing;
Diffuser - volumetrically enhanced, and with a widened throat to lower peak pressure.

These changes allowed for a CLA increase of about 0.350 (6%) with no drag penalty, over last year's car.
Don't worry, such numbers are not too revealing because I haven't factored in mandatory changes around suspensions and CFD settings, nor the Rear Wing trim for Suzuka, conceived to balance the car while decreasing drag.

I'm quite happy with Winter development, which consisted in 50 iterations (including petty ones that I had to run...).
And, all in all, it's still a car with many unrefined parts ...which is good, because it won't let me run out of ideas during the Season.

variante

G-raph wrote:
16 Apr 2024, 01:05
As for the yellow car, well, let's start with the customary comparison with last year's car (race 04 spec). Let's call it a radical evolution :
That's certainly an unconventional approach.
I'm curious to see your wing-pods at work, because I never got any satisfaction out of them in my tests. Same goes for those aggressively downwashing front suspensions.
Interesting central part of the car, very populated by winglets and with those cooling solutions. Not sure they'll help with drag though :twisted:
I love the Rear Wing design.

yinlad

variante wrote:
16 Apr 2024, 10:18

https://arcvstudio1.wordpress.com/wp-co ... 1-logo.png

It was conceived as an evolutionary development of the 2023 car, leveraging the strengths that allowed it to win the final race of last Season. Namely, a powerful underfloor, an unconventional diffuser, and harmonized upper surfaces.

Development involved the following parts:
Wheels Deflectors - simplified to achieve a more predictable behavior;
Cooling Intakes - in a top-down configuration to capture more air for the same frontal area;
Radiators - miniaturized to enhance sidepods undercut and open development paths;
Sidepods - more sculpted and steeper to offer better flows to the rear end;
Cooling Exhausts - tightened to maximize downwash on the Rear Wing;
Diffuser - volumetrically enhanced, and with a widened throat to lower peak pressure.

These changes allowed for a CLA increase of about 0.350 (6%) with no drag penalty, over last year's car.
Don't worry, such numbers are not too revealing because I haven't factored in mandatory changes around suspensions and CFD settings, nor the Rear Wing trim for Suzuka, conceived to balance the car while decreasing drag.

https://arcvstudio1.wordpress.com/wp-co ... 8-logo.png

I'm quite happy with Winter development, which consisted in 50 iterations (including petty ones that I had to run...).
And, all in all, it's still a car with many unrefined parts ...which is good, because it won't let me run out of ideas during the Season.
Stunning as always. A lot of similarities between our cars, and also between our testing based on comments you've made about some approaches taken by others.

I think we may even been in the same Cla ballpark, but I suspect I'll fall behind in efficiency when all is said and done.
MVRC - Panthera

G-raph

variante wrote:
16 Apr 2024, 10:18
Very elegant design as always. It looks annoyingly clean and simple but I'm sure it will be deceptively fast once again. According to the numbers you have quoted I'll be close, but you have to be the favourite for Race 01.

variante wrote:
16 Apr 2024, 10:48
I'm curious to see your wing-pods at work
Well they don't do much actually. I started with this 4-elements wing-pods design as my original goal was to aggresively downwash above the floor leading edge. Then CFD development told me to back them off to the point where I think a more conventional design would be better. But I couldn't be bothered to redesign the sidepod once more, and they looked fancy, so I kept them.

Busor
Busor

Alright my car presentation is short and simple: I don't have any renderings to show because sadly my time this year was and will be very limited.
I started too late with the updated MFlow, realized what it did to the balance and drag of my car and had to submit a guessed rake setup. I expect high drag and still rearwards balance with probably not sufficient cooling. On the car itself I have an updated frontwing, some changes to the floor and sidepods but all quite small changes due to limited time.

I hope to sort it out for the next few races.

Very nice updates and renderings from all challengers, very curious to find out who found the most performance!
Busor

LVDH

Busor wrote:
18 Apr 2024, 15:27
Alright my car presentation is short and simple: I don't have any renderings to show because sadly my time this year was and will be very limited.
I started too late with the updated MFlow, realized what it did to the balance and drag of my car and had to submit a guessed rake setup. I expect high drag and still rearwards balance with probably not sufficient cooling. On the car itself I have an updated frontwing, some changes to the floor and sidepods but all quite small changes due to limited time.

Very nice updates and renderings from all challengers, very curious to find out who found the most performance!
The only changes in MFlow, that might have affected these values, are related to the wall roughness on the tire surfaces...

Late tomorrow evening, I will probably publish the renders of all cars. There is one super interesting design...

yinlad

LVDH wrote:
18 Apr 2024, 21:42
Busor wrote:

The only changes in MFlow, that might have affected these values, are related to the wall roughness on the tire surfaces...

Late tomorrow evening, I will probably publish the renders of all cars. There is one super interesting design...
Koldskaal has been suspiciously quiet! My bets are on his car being pretty wild
MVRC - Panthera

Busor
Busor

LVDH wrote:

Yes sorry, thats what I meant, I didn't want to make it sound as if MFlow itself caused these changes.
Busor

Koldskaal

yinlad wrote:
19 Apr 2024, 00:21
LVDH wrote:
Busor wrote:

Koldskaal has been suspiciously quiet! My bets are on his car being pretty wild
lol. more like "pretty mild". I have been very busy lately so my submission is a modification of my 2023 car :?
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

LVDH

So, you guys can have a look at the cars:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/cars-mvrc-suzuka-2024/
Last year, Variante had my favorite livery, but there is a new car on my personal top position.
Which one do you like most?

yinlad

LVDH wrote:
19 Apr 2024, 21:50
So, you guys can have a look at the cars:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/wp-content ... a_2024.gif
https://mantiumchallenge.com/cars-mvrc-suzuka-2024/
Last year, Variante had my favorite livery, but there is a new car on my personal top position.
F.E.S.T, that is certainly one of the cars of all time. Bravo, I suppose! Hahahaha I love it. Bonkers. Even if it only has half a set of fences?
Last edited by yinlad on 19 Apr 2024, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.
MVRC - Panthera

spacehead3

FEST! I've been waiting for someone to try centerline cooling, excellent!
Max Taylor

HermesMotorsport

Very cool renders as always!!
LVDH wrote:
19 Apr 2024, 21:50
Personally, I'm a big fan of CAEDevice's chrome livery!

yinlad

I am very impressed with the number of teams on the grid this year, along with the quality of the cars submitted. This should be a very exciting season.
MVRC - Panthera