Aston Martin AMR24

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
diffuser

Re: Aston Martin AMR24

KimiRai wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 13:48
Egresi Tamás wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 13:47
No you're not blind! :lol: New fw still hide.
Well that's the photo they've used... "here is the new front wing brought to Melbourne"
Agreed, aside from the new nose cap, I don't see a difference.

-wkst-
-wkst-

The top flap definitely changed, it goes down quicker (don't know how to describe it). Look at the left side of the wing (so from our view the right side), the top flap of the new wing goes down already at the second A from Aramco. At the old wing it goes down at the M from Aramco.

The bracket to the 2nd highest flap (in the middle) is missing at the new front wing compared to the old one. But that was also the case last year, when they introduced the low DF front wing in Jeddah.

In general this new wing reminds me a little bit of the wing situation at the beginning of last year (when they introduced a lower DF version in Jeddah - which was not used very often). Maybe it's just that, a lower DF wing.

SSJ4
SSJ4

there must be a new front wing if they're gonna have aero rakes already fitted.

KimiRai
KimiRai

-wkst- wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 14:13
The top flap definitely changed, it goes down quicker (don't know how to describe it). Look at the left side of the wing (so from our view the right side), the top flap of the new wing goes down already at the second A from Aramco. At the old wing it goes down at the M from Aramco.

The bracket to the 2nd highest flap (in the middle) is missing at the new front wing compared to the old one. But that was also the case last year, when they introduced the low DF front wing in Jeddah.

In general this new wing reminds me a little bit of the wing situation at the beginning of last year (when they introduced a lower DF version in Jeddah - which was not used very often). Maybe it's just that, a lower DF wing.
Yes you may be right. Between these two I think I can see what you are talking with the top flap and also the bracket highlighted in red

So was this Bahrain wing the "new" one but it wasn't used? Photo was taken 28th of February, that was one day before Free practice. In any case that article had such a weird wording for what seems very small changes.

-wkst-
-wkst-

Yes, I think the FW pic you posted from Bahrain ist exactly that wing. More and more I just believe that this is just the low df version. Last year they didn't use the low df version (introduced in Jeddah) in Melbourne however.

In the first 2 races this year they definitely used the wing with more DF, which was also bolted on STRs car today (Fabrega pics).

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 15:03
-wkst- wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 14:13

Yes you may be right. Between these two I think I can see what you are talking with the top flap and also the bracket highlighted in red

https://i.imgur.com/kRwawyC.png

https://i.imgur.com/FT5csfo.png

So was this Bahrain wing the "new" one but it wasn't used? Photo was taken 28th of February, that was one day before Free practice. In any case that article had such a weird wording for what seems very small changes.

https://i.imgur.com/MPE9hLK.png

If the upper flap is adjusted with a higher angle of attack between two wings we're comparing, it will make the arch of the top flap look more aggressive on the flap with the higher angle..

diffuser

Australia Pics from AMUS

ANDY238
ANDY238

Aston martin cooling

Stu

ANDY238 wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 02:28
Aston martin cooling
I wonder what their plans are for sidepod development? They could return to something akin to the 2022 launch version. If they don’t have something like that planned then is there a cost to CoG?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Farnborough
Farnborough

A couple of good images in above post :D I like those type with good detail and covers off.

"I wonder what their plans are for sidepod development? They could return to something akin to the 2022 launch version. If they don’t have something like that planned then is there a cost to CoG?"

My view, this is closest to RB in its entry architecture to main sidepod flow, as such it wouldn't surprise me if they are already looking at that switch from under to over bite geometry in evaluation within their own aero scheme.

You can see the top SIPS beam between the entrance and the cooling matrix, having to move the air underneath the beam into the plenum to then face the matrix direction flow path.

Impression is that these chassis and attendant negative load they produce, is less influenced by small shift in CoG than perhaps we've seen in the past, consequently a reduction in absolute, or at least recognition of trade off, has brought different weighting to this in overall design and concept.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Venturiation
Venturiation

New floor and rear

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Stu wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 11:48
ANDY238 wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 02:28
Aston martin cooling
I wonder what their plans are for sidepod development? They could return to something akin to the 2022 launch version. If they don’t have something like that planned then is there a cost to CoG?
I agree that there is a clear future intent behind this packaging...

abhi1200
abhi1200

First pictures from Aston Martin in the pitlane, showing one of the front wings brought to Suzuka.

organic

New sidepod with down and outwashing rb19/amr22 crease