Mercedes W15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Venturiation
Venturiation

Re: Mercedes W15

maygun wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 00:21
This sounds a bit made up, I don't think any sane team would bring a major floor update to the first race. I also don't remember any mention of a floor update in the first race or in Saudi.
It's coming from motorsport

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/data ... /10588670/

maygun
maygun

Venturiation wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 00:56

Interesting, I don't recall anything about this floor update from the team.

For me, it does not make any sense still.

You have 3 days of testing just one week before the race and you don't bring a major change like floor to test, and get confused after the upgrade and want to find if the update made things worse.

If the story is true the situation in Merc sounds way more catastrophic than I thought.

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

Interesting article on where the deficit actually was in Jeddah. They were overall faster than last year but thr w14 was flat out through high-speed and the w15 had big lifts in the same section.

Sieper

They were super fast on the straights. Piastri in one lap started in the gearbox of Hamilton with a better exit of the last turn and still couldn’t keep up even with drs. Isn’t it just down to rearwing choice?

SiLo

Sieper wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 11:42
They were super fast on the straights. Piastri in one lap started in the gearbox of Hamilton with a better exit of the last turn and still couldn’t keep up even with drs. Isn’t it just down to rearwing choice?
I thought Mercedes were clearly running the lowest amount of downforce out of all the teams on the grid. They had so little wing and were monsters on the straights.
Felipe Baby!

j_ste
j_ste

Sieper wrote:
Pretty much. Lewis tried a little more wing in FP3 but the gain in sector one wasnt enough to counter the loses in straight line speed.

As sad as it sounds. They probably set the car up as well as they could considering what they currently have to work with.

Farnborough
Farnborough

SiLo wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 11:56
Sieper wrote:
I thought Mercedes were clearly running the lowest amount of downforce out of all the teams on the grid. They had so little wing and were monsters on the straights.
Looks like they have to in keeping it away from it's porpoise "threshold" even here they seemed to induce it at their noted 250kmh point, on a smooth track as well.

Farnborough
Farnborough

j_ste wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 12:07
Sieper wrote:
Pretty much. Lewis tried a little more wing in FP3 but the gain in sector one wasnt enough to counter the loses in straight line speed.

As sad as it sounds. They probably set the car up as well as they could considering what they currently have to work with.
It looks this way to me too. They appear to be manoeuvring between hard points of undesirable behaviour in trying to pull the chassis toward giving them as much as they can extract, but with obvious consequences if they dare to step outside a very very narrow band of operation.

Venturiation
Venturiation

maygun wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 02:08
Venturiation wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 00:56

Interesting, I don't recall anything about this floor update from the team.

For me, it does not make any sense still.

You have 3 days of testing just one week before the race and you don't bring a major change like floor to test, and get confused after the upgrade and want to find if the update made things worse.

If the story is true the situation in Merc sounds way more catastrophic than I thought.
they said after testing that correlation was perfect, every change in the simulator worked exactly the same on track
It has to be the new floor introduced for the race that changed that

Sevach
Sevach

This RW seems different from last years(and Bahrain) medium.

organic

Sevach wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 05:32
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJJ_oWHbQAA ... ame=medium

Isn't it same as Bahrain without a gurney flap?

Luscion
Luscion

organic wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 06:28
Sevach wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 05:32
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJJ_oWHbQAA ... ame=medium

Isn't it same as Bahrain without a gurney flap?
Yea looks like the Bahrain spec wing to me as well

ltitus8900
ltitus8900

Merc running Bahrain spec makes sense. I believe it was the same spec as the test. They would want to keep the setup as similar to testing as possible if they want to confirm if the issue was the new floor upgrade or not.

ing.

ing. wrote:
16 Mar 2024, 20:44
The focus on the floor stays at the rear would seem to highlight the dependence of DF and bouncing on rear ride height and, critically, the floor sealing from proximity to the ground (including flexing) of the floor edge.

I expect that for the purpose of formulating a dynamic model, the teams use WD testing to determine aerodynamic derivatives to spike out the dependence of certain dynamic characteristics of the car on its aerodynamic behaviour. And I would think that they test the various deformed (flexed) floor edges to do this.
Is this what they reverted to on the floor, just the stays?

https://x.com/gamer13_joao/status/17707 ... 5rN71eTA2g

ing.

ing. wrote:
12 Mar 2024, 05:15

Underfloor aero and floor sealing edges will be huge contributors to its behaviour as contrary to airplane design where the lifting wings are designed to avoid twisting and creating more lift as they deflect, in F1 as the floor and edge translate down and deflect (the floor edge) the DF increases—this is an unstable situation prone to aeroelastic anomalies if the damping is inadequate. I believe some teams have a better handle on this modeling and the result is better control of the porpoising through appropriate floor design (and understanding of its performance mapping) and suspension behaviour and modeling.
ing. wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 14:42
ing. wrote:
16 Mar 2024, 20:44
The focus on the floor stays at the rear would seem to highlight the dependence of DF and bouncing on rear ride height and, critically, the floor sealing from proximity to the ground (including flexing) of the floor edge.

I expect that for the purpose of formulating a dynamic model, the teams use WD testing to determine aerodynamic derivatives to spike out the dependence of certain dynamic characteristics of the car on its aerodynamic behaviour. And I would think that they test the various deformed (flexed) floor edges to do this.
Is this what they reverted to on the floor, just the stays?

Out-of-phase floor edge deflection could be what they are missing in their models.

https://x.com/gamer13_joao/status/17707 ... 5rN71eTA2g
EDIT: Apologies for duplicate post.