McLaren MCL38

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Vanja #66

Re: McLaren MCL38

Emag wrote:
19 Mar 2024, 15:17
The dimple is a new feature which I don't recall them using last year. However the cutouts on the edges were first introduced in Zandvort last year.
Thanks, what about wing and flap profiles? :) I think Bahrain wing was used last year, but I don't remember seeing Jeddah wing shape so far
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Emag
Emag

Vanja #66 wrote:
19 Mar 2024, 15:43
Emag wrote:
19 Mar 2024, 15:17
The dimple is a new feature which I don't recall them using last year. However the cutouts on the edges were first introduced in Zandvort last year.
Thanks, what about wing and flap profiles? :) I think Bahrain wing was used last year, but I don't remember seeing Jeddah wing shape so far
If you don't want to treat the wing shapes of the wing in Jeddah simply as a "track-specific" change then yes, this wing they used there was new and not run before:

Vanja #66

Emag wrote:
19 Mar 2024, 15:53
If you don't want to treat the wing shapes of the wing in Jeddah simply as a "track-specific" change then yes, this wing they used there was new and not run before:

https://i.imgur.com/xpq7i5V.jpeg
Thanks, that's what I thought... Kind of feels they could have done more with this new wing, but it is what it is...

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

trinidefender
trinidefender

Vanja #66 wrote:
19 Mar 2024, 20:02
Emag wrote:
19 Mar 2024, 15:53

https://i.imgur.com/xpq7i5V.jpeg
Thanks, that's what I thought... Kind of feels they could have done more with this new wing, but it is what it is...
Personally I believe it is a modified old spec wing and not a totally new wing. Fair to good chance I’m wrong though 😅

f1rules
f1rules

agree, as mentioned im team thread, i expect this update to be the frontwing, its a complicated expensive component which has largely remained the same last year and this year
Emag wrote:
19 Mar 2024, 07:39
With Stella saying that they are seeing enough improvement in development to remain optimistic, he mentions a particular area of the car which has remained the same from the MCL60 that ended the season.

And he also said thats not because they do not understand the issue, but because it has taken time to bring the developments on the car.

Of course, he was very cryptic about the area of the car he is referring to, but from what we can see, the external aero has remained largely unchanged (with the exception of the sidepod inlets).

Someone here mentioned when the first renders of the car were released, that they expected at least the front wing to change, yet as it turned out, McLaren kept running with the same front wing from last year (more or less).

If no major bodywork changes are brought downstream, I would expect them to at least bring a different front wing from what they are using now. Not unreasonable to think that the changes in the front suspension layout together with the leading edge of the sidepod might benefit from a more 'delicate' airflow setup at the front.

The amount of load they run on it might be a hint on gains found elsewhere as well, since I believe at the moment, RedBull has an edge over the rest of the field when it comes to generating their required front-end downforce with much less front wing angle (i.e efficient aero)

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Vanja #66 wrote:
19 Mar 2024, 14:22
A question for papaya crew here, is the Jeddah rear wing all new for McLaren? Nothing similar used in 22 or 23? :) I don't remember seeing it so far, but it's better to check
Not exactly new. The main plane was also used last year. This medium downforce version of the wing was used in Canada, Austria, Suzuka, Silverstone and even Spa, but there the top flap was trimmed.

I'd say the majority of the rework was in the upper flap and endplate areas.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Emag wrote:
19 Mar 2024, 07:39
With Stella saying that they are seeing enough improvement in development to remain optimistic, he mentions a particular area of the car which has remained the same from the MCL60 that ended the season.

And he also said thats not because they do not understand the issue, but because it has taken time to bring the developments on the car.

Of course, he was very cryptic about the area of the car he is referring to, but from what we can see, the external aero has remained largely unchanged (with the exception of the sidepod inlets).

Someone here mentioned when the first renders of the car were released, that they expected at least the front wing to change, yet as it turned out, McLaren kept running with the same front wing from last year (more or less).

If no major bodywork changes are brought downstream, I would expect them to at least bring a different front wing from what they are using now. Not unreasonable to think that the changes in the front suspension layout together with the leading edge of the sidepod might benefit from a more 'delicate' airflow setup at the front.

The amount of load they run on it might be a hint on gains found elsewhere as well, since I believe at the moment, RedBull has an edge over the rest of the field when it comes to generating their required front-end downforce with much less front wing angle (i.e efficient aero)
Maybe I said it too 😁

If the team is going to redesign the floor to improve balance and handling, then the front wing will need to be redesigned anyway. There is no other way.

Vanja #66

LionsHeart wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 12:47
Not exactly new. The main plane was also used last year. This medium downforce version of the wing was used in Canada, Austria, Suzuka, Silverstone and even Spa, but there the top flap was trimmed.
This is the 23 wing it reminded me as well of, but Jeddah 24 is definitely shallower and the scoop is not as wide.

2023 Austria

2024 Jeddah

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Vanja #66 wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 13:13
LionsHeart wrote:
This is the 23 wing it reminded me as well of, but Jeddah 24 is definitely shallower and the scoop is not as wide.

2023 Austria

https://media.formula1.com/image/upload ... /image.jpg

2024 Jeddah

https://cdn.motorsport.com/images/mgl/0 ... -mcl38.jpg
Yes indeed. So this is a completely redesigned rear wing.

_cerber1

_cerber1

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

_cerber1 wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 06:52
Small changes to the rear wing endplates? It was as if the very top part had been cut off.

Again, I figured the team would bring a Bahrain spec rear wing, but I'm surprised it's a Saudi spec. Apparently, the team is confident that the floor generates enough downforce.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 07:07
_cerber1 wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 06:52
Small changes to the rear wing endplates? It was as if the very top part had been cut off.

Again, I figured the team would bring a Bahrain spec rear wing, but I'm surprised it's a Saudi spec. Apparently, the team is confident that the floor generates enough downforce.
I think they just bend rearwards slightly but may have the same or similar footprint, but they are new.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

Vanja #66 wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 13:13
LionsHeart wrote:

2023 Austria

https://media.formula1.com/image/upload ... /image.jpg

2024 Jeddah

https://cdn.motorsport.com/images/mgl/0 ... -mcl38.jpg
Is it not the same main plane as Spa? I don't think Spa and Austria main plane were actually the same. The again, I think angles change perspective slightly and it may be the same as Austria.

Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Vanja #66

mwillems wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 11:50
Is it not the same main plane as Spa? I don't think Spa and Austria main plane were actually the same. The again, I think angles change perspective slightly and it may be the same as Austria.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F2HeSNNXQAA ... =4096x4096
Spa wing was the same as Austria, just trimmed :)

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie