2024 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 07 - 09

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
F1Krof

Re: 2024 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 07 - 09

Expecting anything other than another Max victory is a tough one for me to think. Fingers crossed we'll at least see more action.
Wroom wroom

SirBastianVettel
SirBastianVettel

F1Krof wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 10:06
Expecting anything other than another Max victory is a tough one for me to think. Fingers crossed we'll at least see more action.
Idk, call me an optimist but I think the gaps will be a lot closer than last week. I doubt Max will be able to put it on pole position and if more teams are competitive (Mercedes, Ferrari and maybe even McLaren) I think it might actually be a challenge for them. If enough teams are competitive enough it will give many drivers the option to try something different with strategy which might make it difficult for Max to win.

mkay
mkay

F1Krof wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 10:06
Max started P15 last year and nearly won the race. I'd still bet on him to win this year even if he starts from the pitlane.

Farnborough
Farnborough

I've really enjoyed the races here so far.

It's a really balls~out commitment place, without confidence in tire grip and chassis balance will eat pace fast. There's precious little room to correct for any under/ over steer in coping with tire deg too.

Thought CL was mesmerising in 2022 for first half of circuit, MV equally for second half of track. FA, LH also great to watch here too. It shows a lot of a driver's talent in confined spaces. SP pretty handy round here as well.

Hope they get some of the basics right in Ferrari with their brakes and Mercedes with cooling ballance.

I'll enjoy watching the drivers here what ever the outcome, it does show some of their talent at It's best.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

This is a solid track but I would love it a lot more if it wasn't a catchfencing tunnel.

venkyhere
venkyhere

venkyhere wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 13:39
Farnborough wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 11:47

It's a really balls~out commitment place, without confidence in tire grip and chassis balance will eat pace fast. There's precious little room to correct for any under/ over steer in coping with tire deg too.

Thought CL was mesmerising in 2022 for first half of circuit, MV equally for second half of track. FA, LH also great to watch here too. It shows a lot of a driver's talent in confined spaces. SP pretty handy round here as well.

Hope they get some of the basics right in Ferrari with their brakes and Mercedes with cooling ballance.

I'll enjoy watching the drivers here what ever the outcome, it does show some of their talent at It's best.
Bingo.
Jeddah is a track which always draws flak from 'traditionalists' who want only monza/spa/monaco/silverstone like 'heritage classic' type tracks. They speak with disdain, about new-age tracks like the ones in Middle East, Singapore etc (personally, I think Singapore is one of the best 'skill testing' tracks in the F1 calender - both for the engineers as well as drivers; I also think Monaco is the most overhyped track of all time - narrow yes, but speeds are much slower. Baku is narrower yet faster).

The 'character' of Jeddah is that unlike other street ckts (lets for a moment assume that it isn't a dedicated track) that are originally meant for road-usage, where there are bumps, sharp 90 degree corners & slow turns, this thing is butter smooth warp speed. It's like lifting a 'field ckt' like Suzuka/Silverstone/Spa/Monza and placing it inside walls and cages. Gives me the vibes of a MMA fight, this Jeddah ckt. Proper high speed, zero run off. Means the onus is on the driver, rather than the engineers. Natural talent counts of course, but what counts more is 'balls of steel' and 'trusting the car'.

mendis
mendis

venkyhere wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 13:41
venkyhere wrote:
Farnborough wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 11:47

Bingo.
Jeddah is a track which always draws flak from 'traditionalists' who want only monza/spa/monaco/silverstone like 'heritage classic' type tracks. They speak with disdain, about new-age tracks like the ones in Middle East, Singapore etc (personally, I think Singapore is one of the best 'skill testing' tracks in the F1 calender - both for the engineers as well as drivers; I also think Monaco is the most overhyped track of all time - narrow yes, but speeds are much slower. Baku is narrower yet faster).

The 'character' of Jeddah is that unlike other street ckts (lets for a moment assume that it isn't a dedicated track) that are originally meant for road-usage, where there are bumps, sharp 90 degree corners & slow turns, this thing is butter smooth warp speed. It's like lifting a 'field ckt' like Suzuka/Silverstone/Spa/Monza and placing it inside walls and cages. Gives me the vibes of a MMA fight, this Jeddah ckt. Proper high speed, zero run off. Means the onus is on the driver, rather than the engineers. Natural talent counts of course, but what counts more is 'balls of steel' and 'trusting the car'.
When this circuit was first announced, like for every new circuit, people tried to shred it off saying various things like it's Saudi and then the circuit is a death trap and stuff like that. When cars hit the circuit, drivers instantly like the circuit as it's such a challenge to drive. Max's final push lap in 2021 Q3 stands as my favorite. It was almost over the edge and breath taking. Really good track for F1.

djones
djones

All we really have to discuss is:

- Who will finish position 3 downwards
- To the nearest 10 seconds how far will Max finish ahead of Perez

Due to the pure comedy in how long the tyres could last on the Redbull, I think they can afford to go for more of a qualifying focus, so P1 should be in the bag from now on.

CHT
CHT

djones wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 15:16
All we really have to discuss is:

- Who will finish position 3 downwards
- To the nearest 10 seconds how far will Max finish ahead of Perez

Due to the pure comedy in how long the tyres could last on the Redbull, I think they can afford to go for more of a qualifying focus, so P1 should be in the bag from now on.
We will see the first 1st DNF and SC of the season at Jeddah that's for sure. Just hope no one get hurt because this track is like F1 equivalent of TT Isle of Man race

JPower
JPower

venkyhere wrote:

Bingo.
Jeddah is a track which always draws flak from 'traditionalists' who want only monza/spa/monaco/silverstone like 'heritage classic' type tracks. They speak with disdain, about new-age tracks like the ones in Middle East, Singapore etc (personally, I think Singapore is one of the best 'skill testing' tracks in the F1 calender - both for the engineers as well as drivers; I also think Monaco is the most overhyped tracks of all time - narrow yes, but speeds are much slower. Baku is narrower yet faster).

I'm a big fan of Jeddah as well. It brings an edge that other tracks just can't replicate and it flows very well despite being entirely walled. A huge challenge for the drivers.

Waz
Waz

JPower wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 15:59
venkyhere wrote:

Bingo.
Jeddah is a track which always draws flak from 'traditionalists' who want only monza/spa/monaco/silverstone like 'heritage classic' type tracks. They speak with disdain, about new-age tracks like the ones in Middle East, Singapore etc (personally, I think Singapore is one of the best 'skill testing' tracks in the F1 calender - both for the engineers as well as drivers; I also think Monaco is the most overhyped tracks of all time - narrow yes, but speeds are much slower. Baku is narrower yet faster).

I'm a big fan of Jeddah as well. It brings an edge that other tracks just can't replicate and it flows very well despite being entirely walled. A huge challenge for the drivers.
Wish they would hold it in the daylight though, the location is stunning, right next to the sea, which gets totally lost in the dark.

CHT
CHT

Waz wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 17:45
JPower wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 15:59
venkyhere wrote:

Bingo.

Wish they would hold it in the daylight though, the location is stunning, right next to the sea, which gets totally lost in the dark.
I think it's due to prayer time and possibly heat during the day

arkbird
arkbird

Medium to high speed corners are RedBull's bread and butter in this formula I don't see it being close. Hoping to see a competitive qualifying and some good McLaren and Ferrari duels.

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

Agree with the posters above. It's perfectly fair to dislike this GP because of where it's held and what it means, but the circuit itself is fire, very unique and challenging.

organic