2024 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 07 - 09

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
3.r.i.i.i
3.r.i.i.i

Re: 2024 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 07 - 09

chrisc90 wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 20:54
Artur Craft wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 20:53
Bearman, Ferrari´s junior driver, just beaten his star coleague who is said to the best driver ever, at least that´s what his fans say, on his very first race.
Not forgetting he started 3 places behind the guy who's getting that seat next year, and then finished 2 spaces ahead of him.....all with JUST 1 HOUR of practice to get to grips with the car.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Great analysis and statement. Recognition of Zero.
But that is a sign of the enormous complexity obtained from LH......
the avatar tells everything

organic

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 21:25
In RIC a fork you shall stick. He's over. Done. Finito. 2014 was ten years ago. The circle is complete.
Unfortunately it seems to be the case

avantman
avantman

What was Leclerc doing all race before the final 5 laps, I wonder? Would be so great if he tried at least, for once...

TFSA

renault rs26 wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 19:35
Watto wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 19:32
PinkFloydPulse wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 19:30
Noris NOTHING for the jump start. Wtf
Only think I can think if he caught it before he crossed the pit box start line.
Before rule was if you move it's jump start and stop go penalty, looks like they changed rules.
That's still the rule. But the rule also says that this is determined by the FIA transponder. So Stewards are not allowed to judge that on video for example. The transponder is what determines if you've made a jump start.

This indicates that the system is either flawed or has some tolerances that Norris didn't trigger. Still seems very clear penalty to me though.

Rule:

organic

Hamilton did similar to Norris at a race last year and similarly it was not penalised. So it seems to be something that this transponder can't pick up. So all drivers are clearly free to have one little jumpstart!

TFSA

organic wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 22:21
Hamilton did similar to Norris at a race last year and similarly it was not penalised. So it seems to be something that this transponder can't pick up. So all drivers are clearly free to have one little jumpstart!
Seems to me that a rule change is in order. Video evidence should be capable of determining this. It's easy to see on the onboard.

UPDATE: transponder is shite.

Cs98
Cs98

TFSA wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 22:19
renault rs26 wrote:
Watto wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 19:32

Only think I can think if he caught it before he crossed the pit box start line.
Before rule was if you move it's jump start and stop go penalty, looks like they changed rules.
That's still the rule. But the rule also says that this is determined by the FIA transponder. So Stewards are not allowed to judge that on video for example. The transponder is what determines if you've made a jump start.

This indicates that the system is either flawed or has some tolerances that Norris didn't trigger. Still seems very clear penalty to me though.

Rule:
https://i.imgur.com/ayO7jxW.jpeg
We have this argument every time it happens and every time the answer is the same. The transponder only signals if your "jump" is far enough ahead of the box, which it wasn't here. This is how Bottas got away with it in Austria 2017, Vettel Japan 2019. It hasn't changed, it's completely automated.

Sieper

I think they want to cut themselves some slack, Norris stopped again, he had zero advantage, so they left it at that.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Norris moved forward before the lights went off and promptly stopped/braked, He stopped before transponder was triggered which means the car was not right on transponder. It is the transponder that will register the jump start penalty and not the car moving forward before the lights goes off.

Mandrake
Mandrake

Bearman in a Ferrari, Hamilton in a Mercedes. The ferrari is the clearly faster car right now so that's part of the reason Bearman was able to finish just ahead. Also had the much better strategy. Lando and Hamilton did an extra Pitstop so to speak by not pitting under the SC.

sport777
sport777

who has the best sectors in the race and speed traps, please share

LetHimTrough
LetHimTrough

Norris is starting to annoy. It seems there is always something self-inflicted. Today he was lucky but it was almost another unforced error.

Since Mclaren upped their game it seems he hasn't have a run of more than 2 GPs free of any errors.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Mandrake wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 23:39
Bearman in a Ferrari, Hamilton in a Mercedes. The ferrari is the clearly faster car right now so that's part of the reason Bearman was able to finish just ahead. Also had the much better strategy. Lando and Hamilton did an extra Pitstop so to speak by not pitting under the SC.
Please don’t bring facts and a sound, fair analysis into this, it’s a fanboy discussion where you throw crap at a driver you dislike just for the sake of it, and if one driver does a great job, it automatically means that someone else did an extremely bad job. Those are the rules of this forum evidently.

Bearman was extremely impressive though, not an easy track to start out on, especially with so little practice time. Perfect replacement for Sainz, as he even had the nerve to throw a little dig at the strategy there at the end on the radio which Sainz also would have done :lol: Bravo!

Chuckjr

Thought the race had some novel parts and maybe not as bad as portrayed here — tho using an overall softer set of tires for the weekend would have lent itself to better racing as tires would not have lasted so long so well.

Confirmed a race pace order for me: Red Bull, Ferrari, Macca, Fred/Aston, Merc.
Confirmed Stroll should not have a seat in F1.
Confirmed Danny is done.
Confirmed the DRS gain in speed for Macca and Merc doesn’t amount to jack squat.

I thought watching the Piastri Lewis battle was interesting. It showed the Macca is insanely fast by comparison to Merc on fast corners. It was amazing to watch Piastri just leave Lewis in the twisty bits once he got past. The Macca must feel good in fast corners.

Thought Bearman did well but my god they made it out to be the greatest racing feat of the decade. 🙄 It did show he can hold composure and form under some pressure. But he was driving the second fastest car on the grid, so to me he simply did well and good job. But he didn’t show anything special or some kinda second coming as portrayed.

Wish they would have showed King George trying to catch Fred instead of so much time taken on back markers Haas and Alpine and Williams battling to not get last place. It’s easy to see Liberty is trying to offer camera time to backmarkers regardless of competitive races higher in the field. They also spent way too much time on the far away drone glory shots where the actual racing is lost in fields of pink, green, purple, and blue landscape and lighting.

Crofty and Naomi remain awful and the pre-race show has become unwatchable. A total waste of time. Drivers are now so coached and the hosts so over-produced, it’s basically watching a pre-programmed video game pre-show. Wish folks could speak their mind like the old days to add some authenticity to interviews.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Watto
Watto

Cs98 wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 22:34
TFSA wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 22:19
renault rs26 wrote:

yeah that much makes a lot of sense. Trigger is moving outside your box.

Looks like most of the time the little jump then stop is more a hindrance than an advantage too seems to often get a little bogged down at the start.

Rule:
https://i.imgur.com/ayO7jxW.jpeg
We have this argument every time it happens and every time the answer is the same. The transponder only signals if your "jump" is far enough ahead of the box, which it wasn't here. This is how Bottas got away with it in Austria 2017, Vettel Japan 2019. It hasn't changed, it's completely automated.