2024 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 07 - 09

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Watto
Watto

Re: 2024 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 07 - 09

TFSA wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 16:09
scuderiabrandon wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 15:45
Excuse my ignorance here, I'm not entirely aware of the rules regarding the starting position but if were to rely on a signal that only trips once you cross a sensor, what stops drivers from stopping 2-3 meters further back in the box and rolling the car in as they wait for the lights to go out, surely there is an advantage to be gained? Hypotheticall speaking ofcourse, in practice it might be much more difficult to achieve
Random start time stops it. The start lights are controlled by a human pressing a button, so you can't exactly predict when the lights will go out - sometimes the FIA guy pushes it fast, sometimes he waits a bit. There's a video here show it.

But there's a theoretical possibility that a driver will get lucky and get it right.
I maybe wrong but I think I recall there are pretty technical details on the parameters of where a car can be in the grid box too. I seem to recall them talking about it when a driver has a car pointed in a direction towards an opponent/one side of the track.

I do tend to agree the system doesn’t work as well as it should so wouldn’t be against having video as a backup.

That or I wonder if maybe a few sensors in the grid spot to better detect movement within the box not just if it passes outside it- if that makes sense

TFSA

Watto wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 16:19
I do tend to agree the system doesn’t work as well as it should so wouldn’t be against having video as a backup.

That or I wonder if maybe a few sensors in the grid spot to better detect movement within the box not just if it passes outside it- if that makes sense
I don't see the need for sensors for this. Sensors in the track costs money. Video will suffice just fine - it was clear as day on Norris onboard.

To avoid ambiguity, the rules could state that the video evidence must clearly show the car moving (wheels rotating).

JordanMugen

Max Verstappen: "Great job everyone."

Another excellent demonstration by Red Bull Racing - Honda RBPT! =D> =D>

Nice debut drive from Bearman too. Clever tactics by Magnussen & HAAS. The McLaren is mighty in high speed but sadly draggy - I guess they will be working on a version of the now routine "super DRS" stalling all rear elements and diffuser.

venkyhere wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 13:27
F1tv too has Brit commentators. But there are more actual racing drivers there. So even if the 'brit fever' is present there as well, there are technical insights about car behavior and strategy, and not a 5 minute rambling about what a particular radio message really means is pretty rare.
F1TV is mostly good. Unfortunately it often has Will Buxton who is intolerable as he says asinine things with such gravitas, which is a shame. :(

Jolyon Palmer is excellent, as is Sam Collins. =D>

JordanMugen

Mogster wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 21:15
F1 needs 3 more teams. Then guys like Bearman would have more chance of a seat at least.
The full 26 cars would be lovely!

But I don't think there is an appetite for it, given FOM money has typically exclusively been paid to the top 10 teams only causing teams beyond that to go bankrupt.

To undo that commercial arrangement (which incumbents are comfortable with) *now* would be very difficult -- be it to remove WCC and historic monies and pay every team the same, or to pay equal shares to all pay 13 teams, either seems almost intractable for a future Concorde agreement.

Watto
Watto

TFSA wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 16:28
Watto wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 16:19

I don't see the need for sensors for this. Sensors in the track costs money. Video will suffice just fine - it was clear as day on Norris onboard.

To avoid ambiguity, the rules could state that the video evidence must clearly show the car moving (wheels rotating).
Fair point and sounds sensible/makes sense, I’d but I guess I wonder if it only creates more ‘grey’ areas open to interpretation too much - or perhaps cases where one jump is picked up and punished but later footage is shown of an almost identical jump stewards didn’t pick up on. It’s a pretty common in most sports to see . Though can obviously understand the cost side in it too.

Chuckjr

Maybe it was because Lando stopped fully before restarting post lights out, that he didn’t get a penalty? He clearly jumped. But he fully stopped before restarting and maybe because his wheels stopped, it didn’t trigger the sensor.

I agree with most everyone here tho, he should have been penalized.
Watching F1 since 1986.

bluechris

Well i don't agree. Basically the mistake that Lando did, gave him worse start in the end.

RonMexico
RonMexico

It was very amusing to see Norris streak away through sector 1 from Hamilton's on board. Reminded me of Turkey 2009 when cars would pull a half second gap on the McLaren though turn 8.

What has happened to Mercedes and how can you have confidence in them

Mogster

JordanMugen wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 16:38
Mogster wrote:
F1 needs 3 more teams. Then guys like Bearman would have more chance of a seat at least.

But I don't think there is an appetite for it, given FOM money has typically exclusively been paid to the top 10 teams only causing teams beyond that to go bankrupt.

To undo that commercial arrangement (which incumbents are comfortable with) *now* would be very difficult -- be it to remove WCC and historic monies and pay every team the same, or to pay equal shares to all pay 13 teams, either seems almost intractable for a future Concorde agreement.
There’s plenty of appetite from the FIA and fans it seems, and from the drivers who are concerned about the lack of opportunities for younger drivers.

The teams are being obstructive just for purely commercial reasons. It would take FOM agreeing to make additional payments to the new teams I think, beyond the current commercial arrangements.

Cs98
Cs98

JordanMugen wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 16:38
Mogster wrote:

Meh, I don't see it. Guys like Bearman, Antonelli, Piastri, Lando, George, Charles, Max... these real talents will always find a way onto the grid. Six more seats would serve to help the second tier of young talent, not the truly elite tier. That wouldn't be bad, but I prefer the way it is now where the best of the best make it to F1 and where we have begun to phase out pay drivers. You open it up to 26 drivers, you dilute the teams earnings, the pay driver phenomenon would come back in force as you can always find a second tier talent with backing.

bluechris

Cs98 wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 18:53
That wouldn't be bad, but I prefer the way it is now where the best of the best make it to F1 and where we have begun to phase out pay drivers.
Stroll smiles atm lol

Cs98
Cs98

bluechris wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 19:22
Cs98 wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 18:53
That wouldn't be bad, but I prefer the way it is now where the best of the best make it to F1 and where we have begun to phase out pay drivers.
Stroll smiles atm lol
Having a few is certainly preferable to the majority of the grid being pay drivers the way it used to be. We shouldn't ignore progress in pursuit of perfection.

venkyhere
venkyhere

RonMexico wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 18:15
What has happened to Mercedes and how can you have confidence in them
They can't get their floor to produce downforce like the other 4 can. They need barn door rear and front wings to do that. So if they go lowDF wings, their medium and high speed is screwed.

Stu

Did anybody see what caused the RH outer floor strake to break and bend backwards in the last few laps? I’ve not seen or heard anything on it at all (neither during the race from the commentators, nor in post race pods, reports or here).
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

chrisc90

Stu wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 20:23
Did anybody see what caused the RH outer floor strake to break and bend backwards in the last few laps? I’ve not seen or heard anything on it at all (neither during the race from the commentators, nor in post race pods, reports or here).
Only thing I seen was Oscar trying it round the outside in turn 1. But from memory watching the live feed, didn’t see any contact between them - not to mention it’s a odd place if there was contact with another car