How to fix F1?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SiLo

Re: How to fix F1?

I'd rather see tracks modified so that the pit delta was a lot less.
Felipe Baby!

Mogster

SiLo wrote:
12 Apr 2024, 14:44
I'd rather see tracks modified so that the pit delta was a lot less.
I’ve been wondering why this hasn’t gained traction.

If the pit entry/exit short cuts part of the circuit then you could reduce the pit delta. 10 seconds sounds reasonable. Surely that would enable more strategy.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

Mogster wrote:
12 Apr 2024, 14:48
... If the pit entry/exit short cuts part of the circuit then you could reduce the pit delta. 10 seconds sounds reasonable. Surely that would enable more strategy.
this is a breach of the rules ....
a 69 lap race is a 69 lap race not 69 laps minus shortcuts

a clever Mr Senna in stopping 5 times at Donington Park covered miles less than some others did ....
that's how DP wasn't then allowed a WDC race

SiLo

Tommy Cookers wrote:
12 Apr 2024, 15:23
Mogster wrote:
... If the pit entry/exit short cuts part of the circuit then you could reduce the pit delta. 10 seconds sounds reasonable. Surely that would enable more strategy.

a clever Mr Senna in stopping 5 times at Donington Park covered miles less than some others did ....
I'm sure some tracks already have shorter routes through the pit lane. This shouldn't be an issue because the pit speed limit renders the lower driving distance irrelevant.
Felipe Baby!

CHT
CHT

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Apr 2024, 13:20
CHT wrote:
05 Apr 2024, 00:44
Team dominating in F1 is perfectly normal as there will always be a team that is smarter than others, or some drivers quicker than the rest.
When teams and sponsors invest in the sport, they are all expecting to see returns and sponsors are important for this sport.
Whatever rules or ideas hoping to slow down the leader it will also affect the rest of the grid.

If F1 becomes predictably unpredictable, then no one will watch the race and it will become like junior formula series
Team domination is a relatively new thing, really. For the first half of F1's existence, no team took three seasons in a row until McLaren in 84-86. Back to back years weren't unusual but certainly not a given - it happened 5 times in the first 30 years and only happened once between 1961 and 1984.

If F1 became unpredictable then plenty of people would watch it. Only hardcore fans watch stuff where they already know the outcome (pretty much).
F1 popularity is actually at record high, I think. Even Apple is trying to make a movie out of it and there are hitting record 24 races a year..

pob

Liberty may like to pretend otherwise, but I'm pretty sure peak global tv viewership was back in 2008.

Mansell89
Mansell89

I absolutely detest DRS and would remove it in an instant. Computer game nonsense making a mockery of the sport IMO.

CHT
CHT

pob wrote:
12 Apr 2024, 18:02
Liberty may like to pretend otherwise, but I'm pretty sure peak global tv viewership was back in 2008.
Perhaps in Europe or UK. But globally, F1 is much more accessible now and countless F1 videos on Youtube.
And this is what will make sponsors happy.

CHT
CHT

Mansell89 wrote:
12 Apr 2024, 20:20
I absolutely detest DRS and would remove it in an instant. Computer game nonsense making a mockery of the sport IMO.
but when there is no overtaking, F1 fans are not happy

V12-POWER
V12-POWER

CHT wrote:
13 Apr 2024, 08:40
pob wrote:
Perhaps in Europe or UK. But globally, F1 is much more accessible now and countless F1 videos on Youtube.
this is not entirely liberty medias achievement, rather a side effect of everything being present in social media and streaming apps

CHT
CHT

V12-POWER wrote:
13 Apr 2024, 17:08
CHT wrote:
13 Apr 2024, 08:40
pob wrote:
this is not entirely liberty medias achievement, rather a side effect of everything being present in social media and streaming apps
If predictability kills F1, then other formula series with less predictability should be equally or more popular since they have same access to social media and streaming apps.

Mansell89
Mansell89

CHT wrote:
13 Apr 2024, 08:41
Mansell89 wrote:
Yep agree but as far as I’m concerned if we’ve created a regulation to enhance ability to follow one another, DRS just makes it far too easy to overtake. The inevitability of it now is really soul destroying for me- overtaking should be an art, it should sometimes have a build up and crescendo, taking a few attempts.

If it reduces overtaking so be it- anything that makes it more genuine would be a huge improvement - I do worry where we will end up, but thats the traditionalist in me.

CHT
CHT

Mansell89 wrote:
14 Apr 2024, 03:04
CHT wrote:
13 Apr 2024, 08:41
Mansell89 wrote:
Yep agree but as far as I’m concerned if we’ve created a regulation to enhance ability to follow one another, DRS just makes it far too easy to overtake. The inevitability of it now is really soul destroying for me- overtaking should be an art, it should sometimes have a build up and crescendo, taking a few attempts.

If it reduces overtaking so be it- anything that makes it more genuine would be a huge improvement - I do worry where we will end up, but thats the traditionalist in me.
We have been through that before and we end up with the ugliest f1 car and it didn't work..I think DRS is fine, help slower cars in overtaking

Stu

How to fix F1???

Some clues here…

https://youtu.be/ktmv5DigMo0?si=c4b-6jzxzubggqTs

Key takeaways…
- short wheelbase
- enough power, but not so much that downforce generation massively outweighs drag
- no telemetry (certainly not live telemetry)
- crossply tyres
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

lucafo

Tommy Cookers wrote:
12 Apr 2024, 15:23
Mogster wrote:

In that case, Prost 7 times and Hill 6 times stopping strategy could give then first and second places...
What I mean is that its clear that pitstop takes time and what is being told is to reduce that lost.
Its a good suggestion...