2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

dans79 wrote:
19 Nov 2022, 21:58
Stu wrote:
19 Nov 2022, 21:41
dans79 wrote:
19 Nov 2022, 18:08

Bouncing yes, porpoising no.
What do you think is creating the bouncing, it is very rhythmic. Are they simply pushing the ride heights to a minimum?
They are pretty stiffly sprung, and trying to run as low as possible as their concept is compromised till they design and build a new car. So any bump, will set of an oscillation.

Porpoising is self driving, so it would keep getting worse till the drivers let off the gas, or they lose the car. for example lewis almost lost the car in baku during fp.
I think there are many inaccuracies in your comment.

1) The point in bold, no. It's more complex than that.
2) The latter, Mercedes said several times that the issue was bottoming in Baku, not porpoising so this example is not correct.
A lion must kill its prey.

harty71
harty71

I was really hopeful last weekend about the teams chances next season, realistically I can't see them challenging Max in that RB for the title, I hope I'm proved wrong.

dans79

AR3-GP wrote:
19 Nov 2022, 22:18
watch the Hysteresis section!
201 105 104 9 9 7

Big Tea

dans79 wrote:
19 Nov 2022, 22:29
AR3-GP wrote:
I follow that, but would it not completely 'damp out' the oscillations when it hit the road, so would not continue unless it was restarted? ( not phrased that very well sorry )
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

dans79

Big Tea wrote:
19 Nov 2022, 22:37
dans79 wrote:
19 Nov 2022, 22:29
AR3-GP wrote:
I follow that, but would it not completely 'damp out' the oscillations when it hit the road, so would not continue unless it was restarted? ( not phrased that very well sorry )
Only if you scrub off enough speed to lower your total DF. If your speed keeps increasing it will keep getting worse.
201 105 104 9 9 7

zibby43
zibby43

Mattchu wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 14:20
zibby43 wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 08:14
DGP123 wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 00:34
Thread has gone to absolute ****

Embarrassing
That has become the norm around here now. Same usual suspects every time. ](*,)
It would seem pretty much the whole forum had been taken over by pro Max, anti-Hamilton/Merc and pro Hamilton, anti -Max/Red Bull types.

It`s pathetic the amount of posts with subtle little digs here and there!
A zero sum game.

zibby43
zibby43

harty71 wrote:
19 Nov 2022, 22:27
I was really hopeful last weekend about the teams chances next season, realistically I can't see them challenging Max in that RB for the title, I hope I'm proved wrong.
You’ve got to remember that this car has some baked-in aero flaws that simply cannot be addressed this season: the inefficiency of the platform causing huge time loss (6 tenths) on the straights alone, the front brake disc temperature asymmetry (also driven by aero, I learned today), the car’s weight, etc.

The car is still strong in race trim. Ferrari need to sort their tire-chewing problems next year. RB have to grapple with the floor changes. All teams will have a bit of a reset. And as I said after Brazil, the RB is still the strongest overall package until consistently proven otherwise.

The most important thing is that Merc understands the issues and that their correlation is back on track - both realities that have been publicly confirmed. Their simulations today correctly predicted the gap based on their wing choice. That wasn’t happening earlier this season.

chrisc90

What is the asymmetry with the brake cooling? Seems a odd excuse

f1jcw
f1jcw

zibby43 wrote:
19 Nov 2022, 23:38

You’ve got to remember that this car has some baked-in aero flaws that simply cannot be addressed this season
This is a big issue with the budget cap, it can be very negative to competition to have teams able to develop and compete.

harty71
harty71

zibby43 wrote:
harty71 wrote:
19 Nov 2022, 22:27
You’ve got to remember that this car has some baked-in aero flaws that simply cannot be addressed this season: the inefficiency of the platform causing huge time loss (6 tenths) on the straights alone, the front brake disc temperature asymmetry (also driven by aero, I learned today), the car’s weight, etc.

The car is still strong in race trim. Ferrari need to sort their tire-chewing problems next year. RB have to grapple with the floor changes. All teams will have a bit of a reset. And as I said after Brazil, the RB is still the strongest overall package until consistently proven otherwise.

The most important thing is that Merc understands the issues and that their correlation is back on track - both realities that have been publicly confirmed. Their simulations today correctly predicted the gap based on their wing choice. That wasn’t happening earlier this season.
The thing is, RB probably switched off from this year's car a couple of month ago, very ominous if you ask me.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

zibby43 wrote:

The most important thing is that Merc understands the issues and that their correlation is back on track - both realities that have been publicly confirmed.
Their simulations today correctly predicted the gap based on their wing choice. That wasn’t happening earlier this season.
Hamilton this weekend:
"We thought that this would be a difficult race, but through the weekend so far we weren't looking like we were eight tenths down," Hamilton told Sky Sports F1.

"So it's a bit of a surprise in qualifying to be so far behind them."
- https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... raight.%22

Wolff on Brazil:
Mercedes F1 chief Wolff said he thought the team “had the quickest package all through this weekend”, but said it was unsure why there was such a big advantage over Red Bull and Ferrari.

“Do we know why we were so far ahead of everyone this weekend? We don’t.”
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/merce ... /10399798/

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

zibby43 wrote:

the front brake disc temperature asymmetry (also driven by aero, I learned today),
Interesting tidbit on the brake cooling. I suspect it's related to the interaction of the front wing, the brake duct, and the tire when the wheel is steered. The air to the brake duct is being cutoff. Exacerbated on circuit with more left hand corners than right, and vice versa.

What's interesting is I've never heard George complain about it. Is he running a different specification of the brake cooling/components? Do they still let the drivers pick the pads and disc to taste like Hamilton's Mclaren days?

zibby43
zibby43

AR3-GP wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 01:34
zibby43 wrote:

The most important thing is that Merc understands the issues and that their correlation is back on track - both realities that have been publicly confirmed.
Their simulations today correctly predicted the gap based on their wing choice. That wasn’t happening earlier this season.
Hamilton this weekend:
"We thought that this would be a difficult race, but through the weekend so far we weren't looking like we were eight tenths down," Hamilton told Sky Sports F1.

Wolff on Brazil:
Mercedes F1 chief Wolff said he thought the team “had the quickest package all through this weekend”, but said it was unsure why there was such a big advantage over Red Bull and Ferrari.

Mike Elliott on Brazil and general improvement:

“And then in Austin we came with an upgrade kit, that took that understanding and took the first steps to what we needed to do for next year. And since then we’ve seen a good performance level from the car.”

How’d you miss this piece? Right up your alley.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/mercedes ... -a-second/

Wolff on AD:

Toto Wolff: “We get the job done, I think we went backwards and [Ferrari] went forwards.”

“We tried a high drag (downforce) concept and it didn’t work.” Toto says they have the believe that more downforce is better to protect the tyres tomorrow so “let’s see.”

There’s a quote out there from him saying there more or less hit what the sims predicted this weekend. I’m confident you can find it.

Formu1a:

“However, an important technical feature was missing which often created problems during the race weekend for the technicians of the Anglo-German team, namely the ability to have a wider setup window , to adapt to the different characteristics of the tracks, also in terms of asphalt, and environmental. This work took a long time and has been resolved, although there are still some limitations in the Mercedes 2022 concept that can only be solved on the W14 (an example: too much drag), with the package brought between Austin and Mexico. A package which also allowed the W13 to lose a lot of weight, with very important indirect consequences, as happened with the packages introduced between Imola and Spain for Red Bull.A work of understanding and developments (not only aerodynamic but also mechanical) that lasted eight months which produced tangible growth and gains compared to rivals, especially Ferrari.”

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

zibby43 wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 02:03
AR3-GP wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 01:34
zibby43 wrote:

Hamilton this weekend:

Wolff on Brazil:

“And then in Austin we came with an upgrade kit, that took that understanding and took the first steps to what we needed to do for next year. And since then we’ve seen a good performance level from the car.”

Wolff on AD:

Toto Wolff: “We get the job done, I think we went backwards and [Ferrari] went forwards.”

“We tried a high drag (downforce) concept and it didn’t work.” Toto says they have the believe that more downforce is better to protect the tyres tomorrow so “let’s see.”

There’s a quote out there from him saying there more or less hit what the sims predicted this weekend. I’m confident you can find it.

Formu1a:

“However, an important technical feature was missing which often created problems during the race weekend for the technicians of the Anglo-German team, namely the ability to have a wider setup window , to adapt to the different characteristics of the tracks, also in terms of asphalt, and environmental. This work took a long time and has been resolved, although there are still some limitations in the Mercedes 2022 concept that can only be solved on the W14 (an example: too much drag), with the package brought between Austin and Mexico. A package which also allowed the W13 to lose a lot of weight, with very important indirect consequences, as happened with the packages introduced between Imola and Spain for Red Bull.A work of understanding and developments (not only aerodynamic but also mechanical) that lasted eight months which produced tangible growth and gains compared to rivals, especially Ferrari.”
None of what you linked refutes what Hamilton said after qualy today or what Toto said in Brazil. They generally still have to wait and see what happens at the circuit. They don't know exactly where they will be, but that goes for any team. Red Bull certainly didn't expect to be getting beat down by two Ferraris last weekend...

And none of what I said in what you quoted suggest I don't think the car hasn't gotten better (which seems to be your sticking point?). The car has obviously improved from a weight standpoint which is free lap time that is irrefutable. As for everything else, the aero stuff is always going to be more tricky. The only way to know if you are doing the aero well is to go out and win multiple races and a championship. Maybe that will happen next season.

As to whether Mercedes improved "especially" relative to Ferrari rather than Red Bull? Well I think Mercedes have obviously stepped forward given the former 2 teams have stopped development since the summer break, but one has to include Ferrari's own woes to complete the picture. They turned the engine down for reliability and their car was broken by the higher ride heights. A similar dive in their issues reveals they have lost something like 7 tenths in sacrifice after the summer to prepare for next year.

Again I'm not saying Mercedes didn't obviously make their car faster and make their drivers happier, because they did (even though Hamilton never wants to see this car again...)...but there's much more required before one can really pat one self on the back.

2023 is the litmus test. We're only guessing at best today how the twist and turns of the final part of 2022 will pay toward 2023.

To use a different team as an example, there's another team which need not be named that had a so-so beginning of the year, and made progress all year. They'll finish top 5 in the WCC. I'm under no expectation that they will be winning a race, let alone a title anytime soon just because they understand their car better and were able to make it faster during the season.

With that said, I do note that you said:
. And as I said after Brazil, the RB is still the strongest overall package until consistently proven otherwise.
So I don't think we're that far apart on interpretations of the season and the challenges ahead. My opinion is just that making everything sound easier than it really is, is quite dangerous (figuratively...).

zibby43
zibby43

AR3-GP wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 02:11
zibby43 wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 02:03

Wolff on AD:

Formu1a:

None of what you linked refutes what Hamilton said after qualy today or what Toto said in Brazil. They generally still have to wait and see what happens at the circuit. They don't know exactly where they will be, but that goes for any team. Red Bull certainly didn't expect to be getting beat down by two Ferraris last weekend...

And none of what I said in what you quoted suggest I don't think the car hasn't gotten better (which seems to be your sticking point?). The car has obviously improved from a weight standpoint which is free lap time that is irrefutable. As for everything else, the aero stuff is always going to be more tricky. The only way to know if you are doing the aero well is to go out and win multiple races and a championship. Maybe that will happen next season.

As to whether Mercedes improved "especially" relative to Ferrari rather than Red Bull? Well I think Mercedes have obviously stepped forward given the former 2 teams have stopped development since the summer break, but one has to include Ferrari's own woes to complete the picture. They turned the engine down for reliability and their car was broken by the higher ride heights. A similar dive in their issues reveals they have lost something like 7 tenths in sacrifice after the summer to prepare for next year.

Again I'm not saying Mercedes didn't obviously make their car faster and make their drivers happier, because they did (even though Hamilton never wants to see this car again...)...but there's much more required before one can really pat one self on the back.

2023 is the litmus test. We're only guessing at best today how the twist and turns of the final part of 2022 will pay toward 2023.

To use a different team as an example, there's another team which need not be named that had a so-so beginning of the year, and made progress all year. They'll finish top 5 in the WCC. I'm under no expectation that they will be winning a race, let alone a title anytime soon just because they understand their car better and were able to make it faster during the season.

With that said, I do note that you said:
. And as I said after Brazil, the RB is still the strongest overall package until consistently proven otherwise.
So I don't think we're that far apart on interpretations of the season and the challenges ahead. My opinion is that making everything sound easier than it really is, is quite dangerous (figuratively...).
I believe both Hamilton, Elliott, and Toto (in some combination) said before the weekend and after qualifying today, that they didn’t expect this to be a great weekend.

I think the gap was exaggerated by the requirement to run the big wing (point of Toto quote), and Hamilton’s mistake in T14.

My whole point today was that it was a known and expected quantity and not inconsistent with the trends and noises coming out of the Silver Arrow camp since Austin.