Renault R29

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Re: Renault R29

Alonso testing a "new" front wing, still looks very very basic compared to many other teams. They simply might be getting enough DF from the (hideous) nose and can thus keep the drag inducing FW simple?

xpensive
xpensive

You just gotta give it to the man for his way with words:

"The drivers in our teams have been and are world champions, while the championship is now fought between a driver who was almost retired and another one who is a good guy but a paracarro (Italian saying for being as slow as a milepost at the side of a road)," Briatore told Gazzetta dello Sport.

:lol:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Metar

The Renault guys have been delivering punch-lines throughout the weekend, it seems. :lol:

NormanBates

are there any pictures around of the new diffuser that the bbc claims renault is using in china?

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

NormanBates wrote:are there any pictures around of the new diffuser that the bbc claims renault is using in china?
They haven't run it yet. Apparently it arrived after FP2 and they have mounted it on Alonsos car for FP3. They have kept it hidden, so no photos of it.
Source: http://www.formulalobato.com/

NormanBates

imightbewrong wrote:
NormanBates wrote:are there any pictures around of the new diffuser that the bbc claims renault is using in china?
They haven't run it yet. Apparently it arrived after FP2 and they have mounted it on Alonsos car for FP3. They have kept it hidden, so no photos of it.
Source: http://www.formulalobato.com/
ok, muchas gracias

Spencifer_Murphy

ISLAMATRON wrote:Driveability is a big factor no doubt, hence why so many say that Schuemacher's setups and furthermore the corresponding Ferrari's design philosophies made it so difficult for any other driver even in the same car to mach him.

Therein lies the problem with using the average... the car was designed to Alonso's specification and so Piquet's struggles may have something to do with that(although it does seems his skills are deficient)... using the average, IMO, artificially lowers the representative pace of the car. In all honestly I think it may be a waste of time to even contemplate most of what Piquet does in the car.

That is why I allways thought it would behoove the teams to sign drivers with very similar driving styles/patterns. Toyota's struggles with Ralf & Truili being self evident. I think JT & Glock are much more similar in styles.
1st point in bold:
Good point, didn't think of that with regard specifically to the R29.

2nd point:
ROFLOL! ahaha :lol:

3rd point:
I've always thought that myself...that and I never really liked Ralf anyway. he had more of an public attitude problem than his big bro, and none of the success to back it up. lol!
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

ISLAMATRON

What are those electronics on the front hub... saw them on the Toyota as well.

JamesS
JamesS

ISLAMATRON wrote:Image

What are those electronics on the front hub... saw them on the Toyota as well.
Probably temp sensors.

wrcsti
wrcsti

I see renault is testing Bridgestones 2010 tires, codename "soapbox derby"

xpensive
xpensive

Wake up Metar, recovery has begun. Or so I hope anyway.

http://xs138.xs.to/xs138/09166/1663.jpg

NormanBates

xpensive wrote:Wake up Metar, recovery has begun. Or so I hope anyway.

http://xs138.xs.to/xs138/09166/1663.jpg

thanks for the pic

it looks closer to williams' diffuser than to brawn's

let's see how it works (so far piquet is out in Q1 -though I think he's not using it-, and alonso looks set to struggle to get into Q3)

edit: confirmed, piquet is still using the old diffuser
edit2: ok, fernando got confortably to Q3, though he told his engineers that this was just as fast as the car can run, it has absolutely nothing more in stock
edit3: starting from P2 ---> yes, it looks like the new diffuser works, and the car had more in stock; unless he's really low on fuel, huge improvement -let's now wait for the weights
Last edited by NormanBates on 18 Apr 2009, 09:03, edited 1 time in total.

leomax
leomax

oh pwnt,renault power :shock:

NormanBates

leomax wrote:oh pwnt,renault power :shock:
mmm... apart from what you mean, notice it's true in another way: first three cars in the grid for tomorrow are using renault engines; I guess all that moaning by briatore really worked

xpensive
xpensive

Naah, it was simple really, Renault and RBR just reverted to the floors and diffusers previously rejected by CW. :D

Now, if Renault would just ditch that monstrosity of a nose-job...