2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Leclerc gets a 3 place penalty.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

the EDGE
the EDGE

mwillems wrote:
27 May 2023, 19:58
Doesn’t help Lando

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

the EDGE wrote:
27 May 2023, 20:18
mwillems wrote:
Doesn’t help Lando
Not today, but maybe it will compel Ferrari to do a better job next time...so that there isn't a "next time".
A lion must kill its prey.

Slahinki
Slahinki

AR3-GP wrote:
27 May 2023, 20:25
the EDGE wrote:
mwillems wrote:
Doesn’t help Lando
Not today, but maybe it will compel Ferrari to do a better job next time...so that there isn't a "next time".
I mean, we can hope. But I wouldn't put any money on it, it being Ferrari after all.

proteus

What was Lando doing in that lap when he got impeded? For which position was he fighring?
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

mwillems

Slahinki wrote:
27 May 2023, 20:35
AR3-GP wrote:
27 May 2023, 20:25
the EDGE wrote:

Doesn’t help Lando
I mean, we can hope. But I wouldn't put any money on it, it being Ferrari after all.
All teams and drivers do it at some point, it is what it is. It certainly isn't a Ferrari problem. Penalty is a little week considering, but there we go.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

proteus wrote:
27 May 2023, 21:21
What was Lando doing in that lap when he got impeded? For which position was he fighring?
I might re-run the quali on live timing to see what Norris was up to

Edit:
Just watched it, he did a 18.9 for the first sector which was the slowest of everyone for sector one. Obviously Leclerc destroyed sector 2 but Lando only set 2 green mini sectors out of 4 in sector 2 before he encountered Leclerc. So all in all not a great quali for Lando
Just a fan's point of view

Darth-Piekus

Still we can't know where he could have ended without Leclerc impeding him.It is a pity unfortunately and the penalty is very weak.

Now that the Qualifying is over I wanted to make a small rant and express a personal and honest opinion of how I feel . I feel that Mclaren doesn't get the respect it should deserve as a historic F1 Team. I see the last 25 years the three teams of Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari dominating the politics of the FIA avoiding penalties while the rest are penalized normally and sometimes recieve penalties that break teams apart. Tyre tests, illegal engines, budget cap infrengements are turned into agreements under the table as wrist slaps and various illegalities are called loopholes for one year and banned before any of the other teams try to copy them. Then we have B-Teams helping main teams in the race choosing when to fight and also giving precious milage which shouldn't happen since it should be every team for themselves under a fair spirit of competition. Finally the rules of the last decade helping both Mercedes and Red Bull retaining the lead as much as possible restricting all other competitors.

My chest now feels much lighter.

trinidefender
trinidefender

CjC wrote:
27 May 2023, 23:09
proteus wrote:

Edit:
Just watched it, he did a 18.9 for the first sector which was the slowest of everyone for sector one. Obviously Leclerc destroyed sector 2 but Lando only set 2 green mini sectors out of 4 in sector 2 before he encountered Leclerc. So all in all not a great quali for Lando
Sector one was the McLaren's worst sector so it's hard to say that matters. On the other timed laps they made up all their time in the second and third sectors. How did that sector 1 compare to previous sector ones?

djos

AR3-GP wrote:
27 May 2023, 16:12
@djos.....have you seen that lap from Oscar? :wink:
The one where he was 2/100ths off Lando? Yep, impressive, and he kept it out of the walls. I would love to be wrong on this.
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

4 points to Lando's 10, it's fine for a debut season. I'd imagine when the car improves the gap will close to Lando a little and they will both start to get a few more points on the board.

By the end of last season Daniel had 30% of the points that Lando had gained. At this point, Oscar has 40% of the points that Lando has gathered, so he's already performing better, but we have a lot of season left. Bear in mind also that at this point this is a small evolution of last years car so will almost certainly carry the same issues as last years so the direct comparison is valid, even if there isn't enough data yet.

Interestingly, with complaints about bad luck, when you look at this season, with two races cancelled in the run up to the 2 big upgrades and with our competitors Alpine having a penchant for taking themselves out, we are well in contention for 5th at this point and the gap to 4th is not massive. Not that the tables are the target at all. The team has as much said, they just want to be 4th fastest by the end of the season, with a view to closing the gap at the start of next. If the next two upgrades at Silverstone and Canada do indeed has us fighting with Ferrari, I'll be confident, and given how close everyone but Red Bull is, it is totally possible to be ahead of Ferrari by then on pace if not in the table.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

trinidefender wrote:
28 May 2023, 01:59
CjC wrote:
27 May 2023, 23:09
proteus wrote:

Edit:
Sector one was the McLaren's worst sector so it's hard to say that matters. On the other timed laps they made up all their time in the second and third sectors. How did that sector 1 compare to previous sector ones?
Yea I thought the same- especially sector 3 seemed to be their best.
He did an 18.9 on that last run and his PB was an 18.8.

Lando said after quali he thinks he might have got P8
Just a fan's point of view

mclaren111

https://www.planetf1.com/news/where-mcl ... cl60-spec/

Stella:
“We are working on delivering the main round of upgrades between Austria and Silverstone,” Stella said.

“It will be a very noticeably different car. We hope to do another round post [summer] shutdown.”

Previously it was Canada & Silverstone, skipping Austria due to Sprint Race...
Last edited by mclaren111 on 28 May 2023, 11:49, edited 1 time in total.

MrGapes

mclaren111 wrote:
28 May 2023, 11:34

Stella:
“We are working on delivering the main round of upgrades between Austria and Silverstone,” Stella said.

“It will be a very noticeably different car. We hope to do another round post [summer] shutdown.”

Previously it was Canada & Silverstone, skipping Austria due to Sprint Race... :wtf:
I wouldn't be surprised by the fluidity in timeline...the shear work required to deliver a b-spec (ish) or a complete redesigned package within season is a lot, If its a new floor, bodywork, fences, front wing etc. I couldn't imagine the strain on manufacturing too create two packages, let alone several spares for each.

mwillems

Contrary to previous statements, it is now Austria and Silverstone when the upgrades arrive.

Edit: sorry this appears to have been already posted

-Bandit