2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Since they are talking about a completely different car all I am hoping is that it will put is in the mix with the top 3. I know I am asking a lot but if Mclaren wants to target that first spot in the next year or two they must deliver with that new car.

McL-H
McL-H

First pitstop Lando, capital blunder putting him on slicks.

kfrantzios
kfrantzios

Lando really fast after passing Tsunoda. And Piastri following. There was a lot more pace in this car today.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Interesting reading the team feed, and the discussions about pit stops. Really wasn't sure it would rain as much as it did, and still predicted 10 more laps. But also that the cars on inters were slow, and could gamble.

Emag
Emag

I feel like we were --- hard by Leclerc yesterday. If Lando had started higher up, might have been able to sneak in a better finishing position with the chaos at the end.

Also, his pace on the inters was phenomenal. Both drivers were incredibly fast on the closing stages actually, but Lando on particular was an absolute beast.

I hope the package in silverstone gives them the step they need to maybe get into the mix with Alonso. Lando deserves a better car than this.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Interesting that in the post race chat, Oscar was very disappointed by his pace on inters and Tom told him... Ummmm you were just fine, it's just that Lando was flying

organic

Macklaren wrote:
28 May 2023, 18:38
Interesting that in the post race chat, Oscar was very disappointed by his pace on inters and Tom told him... Ummmm you were just fine, it's just that Lando was flying
Laptime data backs that up. Norris was rapid

Slahinki
Slahinki

If this is indicative of the wet race pace of the car, it better rain the rest of the season, holy hell.

BosF1
BosF1

organic wrote:
28 May 2023, 21:49
Macklaren wrote:
28 May 2023, 18:38
Laptime data backs that up. Norris was rapid

Geez, Lando being at least half a second quicker than the whole field.. on average! Absolutely bonkers.

Seems we got our setup wrong this entire time and got it setup for rainy conditions, haha!

But joking aside, rain requires good mechanical grip and apparently the car is able to bring and hold the intermediates in the optimal window. A lot of data for the team to learn from. And it gives me the idea (or is it pure hope?) that there is a lot more potential to unlock from this car. Hopefully starting from Austria onwards

organic

Well post race Lando implied the team were a bit lost with the car in the dry so imo there is likely to be much more potential in the car

CjC
CjC

organic wrote:
28 May 2023, 23:46
Well post race Lando implied the team were a bit lost with the car in the dry so imo there is likely to be much more potential in the car
Did he say that on Sky sports do you know?
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

In a couple of races time it won't matter, the setup approach of this car will be new. but it's amazing to see Lando AND Oscar so strong, makes it clear that it is the car and the driver that performed in that weather.

Part of the reason the car would perform better is that it would not really reach the speeds that would affect efficiency, so that issue was wiped out. After that, if the mechanical grip was good then the car will be very good in the wet.
I'd noted before that the car is very good under braking into the corners and that the traction out is also pretty decent.

I suspect another part of the problem with how this car works is down to the tyres ad the temperatures, another factor wiped out by the rain.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

MrGapes

Excited to finally be returning to a traditional circuit, historically Mclaren have struggled in sector 3 quite a lot with off throttle rotation in the chicane costing large lap time. We now head there with the high speed configuration in sector 3 that is far more ideal.

Also the weather forecast is looking rather wet for the entire week.

djos

Solid result for the team, all things considered - nice to see both drivers having a solid race and bringing home some points.
"In downforce we trust"

MTudor
MTudor

I hope that the new upgrades include also work on front suspension because it is clear to me that a lot of time is gained by having a stable aero platform.