2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

mclaren111 wrote:
26 Sep 2024, 10:06
mwillems wrote:
25 Sep 2024, 19:11
CjC wrote:
25 Sep 2024, 18:16
Yet the haters will deem that heroic from Verstappen but poor from Lando
I'm not a hater for thinking Lando hasn't done enough in that period and that Verstappen was better at maximising his opportunities. Or is the forum veering to trumpisms whe we don't like someone's opinion?

What is trumpisms ?
Fake news and haters, and other words of polarism, to describe people, opinions and facts that you don't like. So instead of arguing the point and using reason, you just label things instead, which conveys some unmentioned fact or reason that is implied but may not exist or is highly vague.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I really don't get this "team is hesitant" talk. From my reading they are saying they prefer to bring a develop a bigger package together so it all works with each other. They think that is better than speedrushing every part individually.

This also probably helps keep costs down as you don't need to manufacture multiple iterations of each component.

Btw team brought several updates after Miami, for one a low drag package (Spa), new low and ultra low downforce wings, etc.

In fact I think that the way McLaren went about this big upgrade is very encouraging. They may have another big one and if it delivers (and we shouldn't doubt it) they could end up dominant to the end of the season.

Let's wait and see and worry less. Why worry, this season is better than we could dream of.

djos

Macklaren wrote:
26 Sep 2024, 10:01
Interesting that Joe Saward (a journalist that I highly respect) thinks that there is a very real risk of Oscar going to Red Bull when his contract is up and McLaren wants to keep Gabriel Bortoleto close. Intra team dynamics next year will be critical to determining that me thinks
He is a decent journo, but if Maclaren are giving Oscar a great car, why would he move when the team has treated him fairly so far?

Personally, I don’t see it happening.

I think it’s more likely that Aston Martin would try to poach him to replace Alonso when he retires.
"In downforce we trust"

SiLo

djos wrote:
27 Sep 2024, 08:56
Macklaren wrote:
26 Sep 2024, 10:01
Interesting that Joe Saward (a journalist that I highly respect) thinks that there is a very real risk of Oscar going to Red Bull when his contract is up and McLaren wants to keep Gabriel Bortoleto close. Intra team dynamics next year will be critical to determining that me thinks
He is a decent journo, but if Maclaren are giving Oscar a great car, why would he move when the team has treated him fairly so far?

Personally, I don’t see it happening.

I think it’s more likely that Aston Martin would try to poach him to replace Alonso when he retires.
I think the better bet is to try and keep Piastri, but I understand planning in case he leaves.
Felipe Baby!

mclaren111

mwillems wrote:
26 Sep 2024, 16:06
mclaren111 wrote:
mwillems wrote:
25 Sep 2024, 19:11

I'm not a hater for thinking Lando hasn't done enough in that period and that Verstappen was better at maximising his opportunities. Or is the forum veering to trumpisms whe we don't like someone's opinion?

What is trumpisms ?
Fake news and haters, and other words of polarism, to describe people, opinions and facts that you don't like. So instead of arguing the point and using reason, you just label things instead, which conveys some unmentioned fact or reason that is implied but may not exist or is highly vague.

Do you mean fake news like CNN and MSM outlets ? I heard ESPN is very bad...

SilviuAgo

If McLaren will bring a new floor to COTA is not too risky? Last year, due to Sprint, Mercedes and Ferrari misjudged the floor wear and both cars of Lewis and Charles were disqualified from the race final standing. Theoretically is not possible to happen again this year due to regulation change and now the teams have the option to modify the cars between sprint and race quali, but a wrong setup for the new floor can bring some struggles for Sprint (both quali and race) and lack of trust in the car from the drivers going into race quali.

And another headache for McLaren will be if both cars will have the new floor on they will spit the drivers one with the new one and one with the old. And again conspiracy theories will rise nonmatter the outcome: it the new floor is not working as expected the "fans" will say that one driver was sacrificed by the Team. If is working that driver was favored. I wouldn't want to be in Andrea Stella's place now :D

bananapeel23

SilviuAgo wrote:
27 Sep 2024, 12:32
If McLaren will bring a new floor to COTA is not too risky? Last year, due to Sprint, Mercedes and Ferrari misjudged the floor wear and both cars of Lewis and Charles were disqualified from the race final standing. Theoretically is not possible to happen again this year due to regulation change and now the teams have the option to modify the cars between sprint and race quali, but a wrong setup for the new floor can bring some struggles for Sprint (both quali and race) and lack of trust in the car from the drivers going into race quali.

And another headache for McLaren will be if both cars will have the new floor on they will spit the drivers one with the new one and one with the old. And again conspiracy theories will rise nonmatter the outcome: it the new floor is not working as expected the "fans" will say that one driver was sacrificed by the Team. If is working that driver was favored. I wouldn't want to be in Andrea Stella's place now :D
I wouldn't be surprised to see DQs again this year. Yes, the fact that they can swap the plank after the sprint helps, but COTA is known to be so bumpy and generally unpredictable and these cars run so low that I wouldn't be surprised if we saw at least one DQ.

It wasn't really a problem in 2022, but the 2022 cars ran a bit higher because they hadn't raised the floor yet, so they could run higher and still have the floor in a good window.

BMMR61

SilviuAgo wrote:
27 Sep 2024, 12:32

I'm one of those most opposed to sacrificing Oscar to promote Lando to a faintly possible WDC. However, in the case of splitting development parts I am very supportive. The team learned more about their major upgrades by only supplying Lando - comparisons were clear and in the detail they would have learnt more than we can imagine. I also think split strategies is a good tactic in the right situation and this could be used effectively closer to decision time to imposing a form of driver offset.

So far I think the team have managed the PR of team orders well, internally if not so much to the media. It's important that Oscar is kept interested in the fight for several reasons as well as his longer term aspirations. I think at this point, he and his management will be quite happy with his position at McLaren.

mwillems

mclaren111 wrote:
27 Sep 2024, 12:00
mwillems wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:

What is trumpisms ?

No idea, unless it's talking about Mclaren I don't watch or read US news,but best we leave it there 🤣

-Bandit

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
27 Sep 2024, 08:46
I really don't get this "team is hesitant" talk. From my reading they are saying they prefer to bring a develop a bigger package together so it all works with each other. They think that is better than speedrushing every part individually.

This also probably helps keep costs down as you don't need to manufacture multiple iterations of each component.

Btw team brought several updates after Miami, for one a low drag package (Spa), new low and ultra low downforce wings, etc.

In fact I think that the way McLaren went about this big upgrade is very encouraging. They may have another big one and if it delivers (and we shouldn't doubt it) they could end up dominant to the end of the season.

Let's wait and see and worry less. Why worry, this season is better than we could dream of.
They've definately brought through less. But they've got to balance the current development with the 25 and 26 car. It's quite possible they've seen they have a car that is good enough so feel they don't need to rush as much. If we have one more big upgrade then we'll have had the same or more development than last year.

But because the car is in a good place I'm not worried, will find out soon enough what they are up to.

-Bandit

mclaren111

mwillems wrote:
27 Sep 2024, 13:48
mclaren111 wrote:
27 Sep 2024, 12:00
mwillems wrote:

No idea, unless it's talking about Mclaren I don't watch or read US news,but best we leave it there 🤣
8) 8)

Darth-Piekus

I have no idea why there is a comparison between Lando and Max. Lando never had a car that was 1 second faster than the rest in a whole year. Obviously Max dominated with that kind of car and now he is unable to even get on the podium as he was lucky in Singapore. Mclaren had a competitive car for wins after Miami but the Red Bull car was still slightly better. Even with the second upgrade package in Hungaroring the car was far from dominant. Except Singapore, Hungaroring and Zadvoort the car had competition from Ferrari or Mercedes. Has anyone forgotten how many mistakes Verstappen made before he became champion?

ScottR267
ScottR267

Darth-Piekus wrote:
27 Sep 2024, 18:43
I have no idea why there is a comparison between Lando and Max. Lando never had a car that was 1 second faster than the rest in a whole year. Obviously Max dominated with that kind of car and now he is unable to even get on the podium as he was lucky in Singapore. Mclaren had a competitive car for wins after Miami but the Red Bull car was still slightly better. Even with the second upgrade package in Hungaroring the car was far from dominant. Except Singapore, Hungaroring and Zadvoort the car had competition from Ferrari or Mercedes. Has anyone forgotten how many mistakes Verstappen made before he became champion?
I bet Max Verstappen feels terrible living inside your head rent free.

But come on mate, this is the McLaren team thread not Red Bull….

Darth-Piekus

More Like Lando Norris living inside their head rent free. After all I'm not the one going into mindless comparison to undermine Lando. It's been what 5 pages now of it?