Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ianwit
ianwit

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

There must be a part that goes on the end (where the white area is) and bends backwards, this makes it adaptable to change its position.
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.

Pup
Pup

There's speculation on the Atlas boards that McLaren also have the Mercedes f-duct. They point to Charlie's comment that "some teams" have the duct, plus the two photos below - the one showing McLaren running flowvis on the left side of both the front and rear wing in the final test, and the other from a supposed photo shoot today, but with them using the new rear wing on last year's car...

MuseF1
MuseF1

I cant see them bringing last years car to melbourne. especially for a photoshoot

Pup
Pup

Apparently they did. At least that's what it seems like without doing any investigating on my own. That is, it looks like Melbourne and I don't think that's last year's wing. The top cord looks too small to me for it to be last year's.

Mysticf1
Mysticf1

That car was used for the "f1 speed comparison", they run a road car, a race car and a f1 car, stagger the start times and try to get them all passing the start finish at the same time. I believe it was paffet driving.

Javert

They can race the -26 with new exhausts if they want 8)

Suppose they have 1 filming day left from last season and used it today to test new rear wing ...
But filming days are supposed to use raced parts and not new parts ...

Javert

I have thought, altough, why they would mount a wing without sponsors, attracting eyes on them, while they could hide the news apposing the Vodafone logo?

Why do these faggot things like taking the -26 and mounting a wing without logo?

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Surely those slots on the rearwing end plate would get in the way of any kind of ducting. I'm very sceptical that McLaren have such a device.

Pup
Pup

It doesn't look like they'd have much room to run a duct, does it?

beelsebob
beelsebob

It would explain the "revolutionary rear wing" rumors if this were true. But I too find it hard to see how they'd fit the duct into their design.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Some really high and low angle rads on this car. Complete opposite to Sauber and I think Ferrari.

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

FakeAlonso

ringo

Gridlock wrote:As per Scarbs' post, teams are trying to get the exhaust gases to exit in as flat a plane as possible, ie not uniformly across the surface of the exhaust port. This is (just) one area where the posted CFD diagram falls flat, as it assumes a uniform exit.
You say CFD falls flat and you take someones opinion to be more substantial? :lol:
The exhaust exits as you see it in the CFD. There is no other way it will physically exit.
And where is this evidence of what the teams are trying to do?

The pipe is cylindrical, the only thing that has an influence on the "shape" outside of the pipe is the external airflow and the sidepod cut out, and even that wont "flatten" it.

All they are trying to do is ram the exhaust between the wheel and under the diffuser as fast as is possible.
For Sure!!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Ringo, does the CFD system accurately model the pulse nature of exhaust gases? Or does it make the, not unreasonable in light of the computational limitations, assumption that the gas flow is uniform over time and across the flow regime?

You see, CFD is a representation of reality predicated on a number of assumptions that are chosen in order to reduce the computational resource overhead whilst hopefully not affecting the overall accuracy of the result.

It is an approximation based on a guess. It is an important tool, no doubt, but it has its limitations and should never be held up as "the answer" in any ngiven situation.

I'd bet that even the wind tunnel model, whilst using heated flow to represent the exhaust, doesn't include the pulse nature of the flow. These little things can have a disproportionate affect on the outcome.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

ringo wrote:All they are trying to do is ram the exhaust between the wheel and under the diffuser as fast as is possible.
Expand on this for me. Is ramming the exhaust between the wheel and under the diffuser:

a) Strengthening the vortex formation in this area and reduce pressure under the diffuser?

b) Speeding up the flow under the diffuser?

Brian