Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Shakeman

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Jack Malone wrote:Does anyone have that brilliant footage of the onboard camera that shows under the MP4-27 (front diffuser, mainly)?

they used that camera on both free practices.
I have been looking too. It was interesting to see the ride height change with speed.

It made me wonder what the Mercedes mercury anti-dive mechanism would be stopping diving? Under braking the car was doing the opposite, in the vertical plane anyway.

Slobo
Slobo

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Some High Res shots from yesterday. Right click>view image

What is taped to the surface of the left lower wing? Is this new and what would be its purpose?

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

They ran it pretty much non stop during testing and a wire exits it up the rear wing endplate to the wing. That's all I know.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

It's not new; it was there during testing. Would love to know what it is.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Unc1e_M0nty wrote:Back of the car is looking very tidy, dare I say it cleaner looking than the Red Bull, differnet concepts I know but it's something that Mcca have obviously put a lot of effort into.
But what evidence do we have that their effort has made any difference? Could be looking at a very clean failure.

Brian

Shrieker

feynman wrote:GET OFF MY LAWN
Isn't that a bit too... harsh ? He has some truth in what he says you know. Ok maybe he should've posted that in the team thread instead of the car one, but... that treatment ? Come on now...
Last edited by Giblet on 18 Mar 2012, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited quote for accuracy
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Alexpcenteno

Slobo wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Some High Res shots from yesterday. Right click>view image

What is taped to the surface of the left lower wing? Is this new and what would be its purpose?
Notice the driveshaft is scrapping the body part...
"Racing, competing, it's in my blood. It's part of me, it's part of my life; I have been doing it all my life and it stands out above everything else." - Ayrton Senna

xpensive
xpensive

Very rarely has the xpression "If it looks right, it is right", been as appropriate as after today's Q3, when everybody else went with that ghastly duck-nose, McLaren stuck to esthetics, surely this was thanks to Ron Dennis himself? =D>
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

CraigR1
CraigR1

[quote="xpensive"]Very rarely has the xpression "If it looks right, it is right", been as appropriate as after today's Q3, when everybody else went with that ghastly duck-nose, McLaren stuck to esthetics, surely this was thanks to Ron Dennis himself? =D>[/quot

Good to see mclaren doing it there own way, impressive p1+2

dave34m
dave34m

xpensive wrote:Very rarely has the xpression "If it looks right, it is right", been as appropriate as after today's Q3, when everybody else went with that ghastly duck-nose, McLaren stuck to esthetics, surely this was thanks to Ron Dennis himself? =D>
Yep, amen to that

thestig84
thestig84

Yeah superb to see. Looked planted all weekend so far, Hamiltons pole lap was excellent and didnt even use the whole road in places.

Ill be interested to hear from BBCs 'Expert' Gary Anderson. He seems to have taken issue with the 27 since launch...Nose a mistake (he even said they realised so removed snow plough, rubbish), undercut the wrong shape and didnt rate exhaust concept. I hope he admits he was wrong.

Boost
Boost

hardingfv32 wrote:
Unc1e_M0nty wrote:Back of the car is looking very tidy, dare I say it cleaner looking than the Red Bull, differnet concepts I know but it's something that Mcca have obviously put a lot of effort into.
But what evidence do we have that their effort has made any difference? Could be looking at a very clean failure.

Brian
On today's evidence, not at the moment.

ledzep4pm

thestig84 wrote: Ill be interested to hear from BBCs 'Expert' Gary Anderson. He seems to have taken issue with the 27 since launch...Nose a mistake (he even said they realised so removed snow plough, rubbish), undercut the wrong shape and didnt rate exhaust concept. I hope he admits he was wrong.
+1 =D>

Unfortunately it wont be one the scale of Eddie Jordan's apology when the mp4-24 ("McLaren's worst car ever") won a race
Twitter @ledzep4pm

xpensive
xpensive

thestig84 wrote: ...
Ill be interested to hear from BBCs 'Expert' Gary Anderson. He seems to have taken issue with the 27 since launch...Nose a mistake (he even said they realised so removed snow plough, rubbish), undercut the wrong shape and didnt rate exhaust concept. I hope he admits he was wrong.
Gary Anderson is to my mind xtremely overrated, he's not an engineer and has had difficulties working with computers,
his career is in many ways thanks to his relationship with MrE, when he started out as a Brabham mechanic in the early 70s.

The MP4-27 is a gem.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

xpensive wrote:
thestig84 wrote: ...
Gary Anderson is to my mind xtremely overrated, he's not an engineer and has had difficulties working with computers,
his career is in many ways thanks to his relationship with MrE, when he started out as a Brabham mechanic in the early 70s.

The MP4-27 is a gem.
This was also complete drivel:-
http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/new ... The-MP4-27

I swear, where do they find these ill informed idiots?